Kenyan Tribe Learns Of Severity of 9-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SlowwHand:

Unlike one certain poster on this thread who shall remain nameless, I *did* read the article and found it fascinating. Indeed, for a people whose way of life generates wealth in a fashion most of us would not be familiar with, what they did was deeply touching.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The massai are indeed interesting fellows.

I'm sure those 14 cows will help the US out of any economic misery

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
        when you don't even seem to acknowledge that the people of Africa often face problems a hundred times worse everyday.

Why do liberals try and make everyone feel guilty for the problems in africa?

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory

Why do liberals try and make everyone feel guilty for the problems africa?
          Ignore him, he is a complete and utter moron.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

For anybody who is interested in returning the favor, btw, there are a number of *fantastic* organizations that are making HUGE strides in helping Africans help themselves. My personal favorite is LifeInAfrica....they provide microloans ($500 or less, US Dollars) to African entrepreneurs to help them start businesses. The folks who run the organization are always on the lookout for people to help them guarantee the loans (I've done two so far, and both of "my" entrepreneurs did well! WhoooHoooo!).

It's small scale stuff, but it makes a HUGE impact.

Some of the loans are used to do stuff like:
            * Buying a cooler, a generator, and a supply of cold drinks
            * Buying a pair of cows and selling milk
            * One guy was having a tough time keeping his barber shop open cos of the erratic electricity supply. His competitor had a honda generator to compensate for the "downtimes" and this guy was losing business to his competitor....he'd get half done with a haircut and the power would go out....his customer would leave without paying and go down the block.

Now that he's got his own generator, he's jamming.

* Another lady bought a cotton candy machine. Nothing like that had ever been seen before, and she's doing a bang up business with it.

Additionally, the organization runs a website where local artists can sell jewelry and other craft items made locally.

Again, it's small stuff to us, but it's making big impacts there. Good way to return the favor, IMO.

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Osweld, see what I was talking about when I accused you of always trying to present a "more moral" position?

Comment

I agree with Osweld. No-one seems to have beneffited from these attacks more than the traders of NY anyway.

Thousands die in conflicts, famines and plagues accross the world, like Africa. Do American citizens donate goods in honour of them?

The US is not the centre of the world. The deaths of 3 or 4 thousand people is tragic, but no more so than those who died in Afghanistan in the war following it, or those currently dying of starvation.

Comment

*puts old WW2 helmet back on and braces himself*
                  Cheese eating surrender monkees - Chris 62

BlackStone supporting our troops

Comment

You are a credit to that entity that passes for education in GB in every way imaginable, RJ.
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                      I agree with Osweld. No-one seems to have beneffited from these attacks more than the traders of NY anyway.
                      You are so ignorant its not funny.
                      Thousands die in conflicts, famines and plagues accross the world, like Africa. Do American citizens donate goods in honour of them?
                      Actually, yes they do.
                      The US is not the centre of the world. The deaths of 3 or 4 thousand people is tragic, but no more so than those who died in Afghanistan in the war following it, or those currently dying of starvation.
                      The US is the center of the world on planet earth, what planet are you from? Try and think before you post next time.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

You are so ignorant its not funny.
                        Yes, that's a good way of refuting an argument. So there aren't millions of Sept 11 t-shirts, models, caps, etc?

Actually, yes they do.
                        On the scale that those African people did? Those cattle are worth a lot to them, I hardly think many Americans will donate such a large proportion of their goods.

The US is the center of the world on planet earth, what planet are you from? Try and think before you post next time.

So American lives are worth more than others? No nation can claim to be the centre of the world. The arrogance astounds me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                          The massai are indeed interesting fellows.

I'm sure those 14 cows will help the US out of any economic misery
                          Another thing I always say is, "It's all relative".
                          It's the thought that counts, and I have enough faith in you to know that YOU know that, Andy.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The fact that these impoverished people gave away their cattle to the most affluent nation on Earth makes me feel sick.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

Ok, Jon. I hate to do this, but I have to say that if it had been a Tribe of Gays, maybe you would have some empathy.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Ok, Jon. I hate to do this, but I have to say that if it had been a Tribe of Gays, maybe you would have some empathy.

Comment

Working...
                                X