No announcement yet.

Sony trash-talks Microsoft, Nintendo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're spending $1B on Xbox Live this year alone, and $2B over the next five years.

They've also been developing Xbox Live for 2 years, and there's more team members developing Xbox Live than the original Xbox.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Well good for consumers, competition is always good, I guess they ahve seen that 10-15 % of Sony's revenue was coming from PStation. So well now they hae to share the bed and prices dropping faster, technology defeloping faster but maybe console industry becomes like PC's I can see them merging already with conslole beinf the lowest order |PC and a good bargain as all of them seem to be making a loss (maybe not Nintendo) na vbelieve they can recuperate it from sale of games.

Well lets see but these cycles shortened quicky At least they are compatible so far. I don't care though after Playstetion I don't have the money or will to spend another 200£ on another consoloe, better save it for NV30, or R300 maybe PV10 or what it is from 3D Labs, or even the next Matrox who knows what will kick X-Box live ass
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• The dreamcast wasn't exactly successful in North America,
        Really? It had one hell of a launch, I thought. Although almost everything for the damn box was first party I suppose.

Sony's press briefing was pretty sad, they showed (at best) B-level first party games. That means all of the good games for PS2 tend to be third party, which means they tend to go multiplatform in upgraded forms on Xbox and GCN.
        With the news that GTA won't be multiplatform at all, and the word out of EA that Madden 2003 will be online for PS2 only, you can't say Sony's out of the running just yet, or that their console is a fraud.

I got an XBox a while back from some sick bastard friend of mine intent on making up for his earlier outrageous behavior aimed sharply and pissily against my "Ring in the New Year with a Bang" party interests. I've only played one game for it, Halo, and I really thought it kicked some serious ass. The hard drive alone could end up saving $50-100 if someone started to really advantage of it. Needless to say, finding any true value in a videogame console by Microsoft shocked the living crap out of me, and I'd imagine if more people got their hands on the thing just for a test drive as I did, sales would be off the charts.

Anyway, some solid and in-depth sales figure links (for Japan of all places) would really help end this argument.

Comment

• Really? It had one hell of a launch, I thought. Although almost everything for the damn box was first party I suppose.
          It had a moderately successful one (PS2 shattered that, Xbox broke the PS2 record for launch), but it was not consistent. After launch people stopped buying it, essentially.

---

The Xbox really shines once it's set up properly too.

Most of my friends have bought Xboxes now (to accompany GC or PS2) because they've seen how beautiful it is on an HDTV + DD5.1 surround.

I've got the PS2 hooked up to the same system, and it simply can't compare in presentation. Stereo sound (except for cutscenes) is blegh, interlaced output is blech, and the overall lack of quality to the visuals and blurry textures.

I'm thinking of getting a Gamecube around christmas too, for Metroid Prime (I saw the videos and I decided I want to play this ) and maybe rent the usual Franchise games.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Microsoft new the competition is stiff when it comes to consoles. But trust me, Bill and his gang have the resources to go the long haul.

We live in a poly-console world now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
              You don't know the first thing about the Xbox, its games, or anything else about consoles. What you know is its MS, so you predicted (hoped) it would fail.
              Now how the hell would you know what I do or do not know about Xbox, Xbox games, or consoles? Silly sod.

Originally posted by Asher
              It's surpassed everyone's wildest expectations (last year at E3 they didn't even think it'd launch) and continues to sell well in North America especially
              1. Who're "they?"
              2. If it can't sell in NA MS might as well hang up its boots

and has just quadrupled its sales in the ailing Japanese market as of last week (which is pretty good considering the first real Japanese games are still about 6-8 months away).
              Hm.

4 x 1 = 4. Very big deal, that.

Seriously, MS loses money for each Xbox unit sold. They can only make it back via game sales. Not having even a game ready to sell is sheer silliness.

And of course (duh) it's the games that count. You're not being insightful here like you seem to think you are.
              Yeah? While most other people such as yourself were going about how the Xbox "wll rulez" because of better graphics?

But having awesome graphics and awesome sound does not detract from gameplay. Rather, it can enhance it by being more immersive.
              Why would I want to get an Xbox when I have a PC? I can get graphics that is just as good if not better, and a PC can do everything the Xbox can, plus a whole lot more.

I can't stand the people who think good graphics and sound are mutually exclusive with good gameplay.
              Did I say that? My word, your silliness is boundless.

That idea mostly stems from PlayStation 2 fanboys who try to convince themselves of that very idea.
              Good to see that you know a whole lot about PS2 fanboys, almost as much as you know about my knowledge of the Xbox, Xbox games, and consoles in general.

200+ Xbox games, 150+ Gamecube games to come by year end.
              That's nice, we'll just have to wait for the end of the year to see if there really will be 200+ games for the Xbox now.

The "vast library" excuse for PS2 is going down the drain.
              Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, that library is still giving PS2 a leg up.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                Now how the hell would you know what I do or do not know about Xbox, Xbox games, or consoles? Silly sod.
                If it's anything like Windows XP, I'm pretty sure my grandmother knows more than you do on it.

1. Who're "they?"
                Industry observers, EGM, Sony, Nintendo...

Seriously, MS loses money for each Xbox unit sold. They can only make it back via game sales. Not having even a game ready to sell is sheer silliness.
                Um. Look at your first statement here that I quoted from you about your Xbox Knowledge. Now admit I'm right.

It launched with 20 titles in Japan. You're right, it would be completely silly to launch it without a single game. Pretty silly to the point where I'm thinking "how can you honestly think a company would do that?" to you, UR.

Yeah? While most other people such as yourself were going about how the Xbox "wll rulez" because of better graphics?
                It's not JUST about better graphics.
                It's about capabilities.
                Hard drive. Ethernet. Fastest GPU. Best sound.
                Now you add in awesome developers (Tim Schaeffer(sp?)), the SONIC Team, Team Ninja of Tecmo, Digital Anvil, Bunjie, Peter Moleneaux, John Carmack, Gabe Newell, Tim Sweeney, etc. and watch it all come together. Great gameplay AND great graphics.

Neither console is inherently better for gameplay, so when comparing the hardware we tend to focus on tangible things and possibilities for gameplay. Comprende?

Why would I want to get an Xbox when I have a PC? I can get graphics that is just as good if not better, and a PC can do everything the Xbox can, plus a whole lot more.
                While true, the equivalent PC is far more expensive than $199US. Guaranteed.
                It also doesn't work well with HDTVs, home audio receivers, and four controllers. Yes, I realize you CAN do it, but next to nobody does.

Console gaming and PC gaming are inherently different. You're a fool if you can't see the difference.

There's also the problem on PC of hassle (patches, for one), you're forced to upgrade your video card every 2 years to play the recent games (consoles last 4-5), and developers tend to develop for the "lowest common denominator" for PC hardware, which is probably GeForce 1 for gamers now.

Console gaming is largely a social experience, playing with your friends in the same room on a big screen. Console games tend to be more straightforward and mindless fun than PC games, and have a simple gamepad to control it.

I own a high end PC (Athlon XP 2100+, GeForce 4 Ti4600) and an Xbox and a PS2. PS2 is basically collecting dust now, Xbox and PC both get heavy use. For different things.

Did I say that? My word, your silliness is boundless.
                Did I say you did?
                Now who's being silly?

Good to see that you know a whole lot about PS2 fanboys, almost as much as you know about my knowledge of the Xbox, Xbox games, and consoles in general.
                Judging from this thread you know next to nothing about Xboxes.

And yes, I know a whole lot about PS2 fanboys.
                1) I own a computer
                2) I deal with PS2 fanboys every day

That's nice, we'll just have to wait for the end of the year to see if there really will be 200+ games for the Xbox now.
                Try looking at the E3 previews/reviews/news. MS and third parties are announcing games left and right and so far have stolen the show.

Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, that library is still giving PS2 a leg up.
                PS2 has 250 games right now. Supposed to have 400 by year's end. Xbox will have 200 at year's end.

Take into account that, by that time, the PS2 would have been on the market for 2.5 years and Xbox for 1 year, and that's quite an astonishing difference, no?

Comment

• XBox launched with 6 games, IIRC. It was sort of thin, but they've done a lot of work to get a viable selection up and running.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    XBox launched with 6 games, IIRC. It was sort of thin, but they've done a lot of work to get a viable selection up and running.
                    For North America?
                    It launched with way more than six, and was arguably the strongest launch lineup of any console launch in history (it also set records for tie-in ratios, that is how many games are bought per box on launch).

Comment

• Well, it would be weird if PS2 doesn't slowly decayed now, being an inferior console to NGC and Xbox. They have sold tremendously though, and when comparing all three in the end of the NGC and Xbox area, PS2 will probably be the accumulated "winner". yup

Comment

For North America?
                        It launched with way more than six, and was arguably the strongest launch lineup of any console launch in history (it also set records for tie-in ratios, that is how many games are bought per box on launch).
                        You sure about that? I only remember there being 6 games on launch. A whole bunch more came in later...
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Positive. It launched with the following games, plus a whole lot came after:

4x4 EVO 2
                          Air Force Delta Storm
                          Cel Damage
                          Dark Summit
                          Dead or Alive 3
                          Fuzion Frenzy
                          Halo
                          Madden NFL 2002
                          Mad Dash Racing
                          NASCAR Heat 2002
                          NASCAR Thunder 2002
                          NFL Fever 2002
                          NHL Hitz 2002
                          Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
                          Project Gotham Racing
                          Shrek
                          Test Drive Off-Road Wide Open
                          Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x

Comment

If it's anything like Windows XP, I'm pretty sure my grandmother knows more than you do on it.
                            Maybe. The thing is XP is not a priority for any commercial firms with established IT infrastructure, esp. now that Microsoft is going to screw the customers even more. W2K acceptance remains very limited, let alone XP. So forgive me if we decided to stick with NT with service packs while looking for cheaper alternatives.

Um. Look at your first statement here that I quoted from you about your Xbox Knowledge. Now admit I'm right.
                            Oh really? This is what you said:

"...and has just quadrupled its sales in the ailing Japanese market as of last week (which is pretty good considering the first real Japanese games are still about 6-8 months away)."

It launched with 20 titles in Japan. You're right, it would be completely silly to launch it without a single game. Pretty silly to the point where I'm thinking "how can you honestly think a company would do that?" to you, UR.
                            Did you say that MS hasn't got a real Japanese game or did I say that? Who cares if it has got English games? You're talking about the Japanese market here. Games need to be in Japanese.

Silly sod.

It's not JUST about better graphics.
                            It's about capabilities.
                            As I said, who cares? Games, games, and games. Without games, consoles are just expensive paper weights.

Neither console is inherently better for gameplay, so when comparing the hardware we tend to focus on tangible things and possibilities for gameplay. Comprende?
                            What people do compare is which one has better games. Many of them don't even know anything about the hardware specs.

While true, the equivalent PC is far more expensive than $199US. Guaranteed.
                            It also doesn't work well with HDTVs, home audio receivers, and four controllers. Yes, I realize you CAN do it, but next to nobody does.
                            Sure, PCs are more expensive but you get a lot more capabilities. They can do anything the Xbox can do, plus a lot more. And PC games are better.

HDTV - my monitor has better resolution

Console gaming and PC gaming are inherently different. You're a fool if you can't see the difference.
                            Consoles might be lower powered, so that llimits the sort of games that can be played, particularly when those consoles have no permanent storage. However, there is no reason why personal computers can't run console games. MAME shows that it can be done. If a console game is not available for the PC, it is merely a marketing ploy.

There's also the problem on PC of hassle (patches, for one), you're forced to upgrade your video card every 2 years to play the recent games (consoles last 4-5), and developers tend to develop for the "lowest common denominator" for PC hardware, which is probably GeForce 1 for gamers now.
                            Not really. The graphics card for our Wintel biox is still the Matrox G200, nothing spectacular. We can play any game we want to play, however, including some of the recent ones.

If we run into a game that requires a heftier graphics card, upgrading still won't cost more than USD200, the price of an Xbox.

Console gaming is largely a social experience, playing with your friends in the same room on a big screen.
                            While that may be the case, how often you play console games with a group and how often you do it solo?

Console games tend to be more straightforward and mindless fun than PC games, and have a simple gamepad to control it.
                            While that may be the case, nothing stops PC games to be mindless and straight forward. Hm, Quake comes to mind.

I own a high end PC (Athlon XP 2100+, GeForce 4 Ti4600) and an Xbox and a PS2. PS2 is basically collecting dust now, Xbox and PC both get heavy use. For different things.
                            So you're saying your parents are in the dope. Anything else?

Did I say you did?
                            Now who's being silly?
                            If you did not at least imply that's the case, why did you raise the point?

Judging from this thread you know next to nothing about Xboxes.
                            Judging from your judgment in the Microsoft anti-trust case, your judgment is not credible.

And yes, I know a whole lot about PS2 fanboys.
                            1) I own a computer
                            2) I deal with PS2 fanboys every day
                            Almost as much as you do about MS fanboys, eh?

Try looking at the E3 previews/reviews/news. MS and third parties are announcing games left and right and so far have stolen the show.
                            Previews don't mean crap. Game announcements mean even less.

Only when the games are actually delievered to retailers do they count.

PS2 has 250 games right now. Supposed to have 400 by year's end. Xbox will have 200 at year's end.
                            I don't give much weight to Sony's side of game announcement either.

If they have it, great. If not, it's no skin off my back.

We veteran gamers now ignore this kind of marketing ploys.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Oh really? This is what you said:

"...and has just quadrupled its sales in the ailing Japanese market as of last week (which is pretty good considering the first real Japanese games are still about 6-8 months away)."
                              Yes, genius, like Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden, Phantasy Star Online, etc.

I mean games that are more or less made by Japanese and targeted for Japanese people. The launch titles were all American games.

Did you say that MS hasn't got a real Japanese game or did I say that? Who cares if it has got English games? You're talking about the Japanese market here. Games need to be in Japanese.

Silly sod.
                              You're being very dense lately, you know that?
                              Are you taking your herbal medicine?

See my above comment on Japanese games.
                              OBVIOUSLY the games are translated and ported to run on non-NTSC systems when sold in Japan. I was relying on some basic intelligence for you to figure that out -- won't happen again.

As I said, who cares? Games, games, and games. Without games, consoles are just expensive paper weights.
                              200 is not enough for you?

What people do compare is which one has better games. Many of them don't even know anything about the hardware specs.
                              Okay, so why isn't SNES selling more than PS2? It had way more games, and they were all better.

There are great games on all consoles -- that much is fact. Anyone who says otherwise is bull****ting you.

Sure, PCs are more expensive but you get a lot more capabilities. They can do anything the Xbox can do, plus a lot more. And PC games are better.

HDTV - my monitor has better resolution
                              Your monitor is a helluva lot smaller.

And, UR, this may be a difficult concept for you to grasp, but let's try anyway. Not everyone enjoys playing PC games. Some of us enjoy laying back on the couch in the living room playing on the big screen once in a while as well. Consoles do not replace PCs, they supplement. Stop trolling.

Consoles might be lower powered, so that llimits the sort of games that can be played, particularly when those consoles have no permanent storage.
                              Oh, how did I even bother to question your Xbox knowledge before?
                              You do know that the Xbox has a hard drive, right?

However, there is no reason why personal computers can't run console games. MAME shows that it can be done. If a console game is not available for the PC, it is merely a marketing ploy.
                              No one has ever said otherwise, you're setting up a strawman (as you always do, then proclaim it's everyone else doing the strawman bit).

Consoles are for living rooms, PCs are for dens.

I like both, depending on the type of game and what I'm feeling like that day.

Do you understand?

Not really. The graphics card for our Wintel biox is still the Matrox G200, nothing spectacular. We can play any game we want to play, however, including some of the recent ones.

If we run into a game that requires a heftier graphics card, upgrading still won't cost more than USD200, the price of an Xbox.
                              Run the Commanche 4 and Unreal Performance Test benchmarks on your system, see if it can even hit 10fps at 800x600. Even with a $200 video card, go ahead and try it. Seriously.

Have you also tried Morrowind? It runs like ass on my GeForce 3. The new Athlon rig + GF4 Ti4600 is the only system in the house it runs at a stable framerate on.

While that may be the case, how often you play console games with a group and how often you do it solo?
                              About half half, honestly.
                              My brother and I play a lot (coop Halo, Halo deathmatches, DOA3, Tony Hawk 3, Rallisport, FIFA world cup, NHL2002, what have you).

And even then, single player is a much different experience on the big screen with surround sound than hunched over a computer monitor. Like I said, I play both. Depending on my mood and the game.

So you're saying your parents are in the dope. Anything else?
                              I pay for all of my games, all of my computers, all of my consoles.

It's called having a job that pays very well.

Judging from your judgment in the Microsoft anti-trust case, your judgment is not credible.
                              Are we in first grade again?

Almost as much as you do about MS fanboys, eh?
                              Almost.
                              You'd be amazed at how many Xbox fanboys insist that the PS2 has no good games, etc.

Previews don't mean crap. Game announcements mean even less.

Only when the games are actually delievered to retailers do they count.
                              Okay, so try again in a couple months.

These previews and announcements were shown and played by game press/developers at E3, so they're not vapourware like you may be implying.

We veteran gamers now ignore this kind of marketing ploys.
                              You've got a Matrox G200, how dare you call yourself a gamer.

Comment

• And, UR, this may be a difficult concept for you to grasp, but let's try anyway. Not everyone enjoys playing PC games. Some of us enjoy laying back on the couch in the living room playing on the big screen once in a while as well. Consoles do not replace PCs, they supplement. Stop trolling.

Exactly. Sometimes I feel like sitting at my desk and planning out my civ3 game, other times I feel like crashing on the couch with the shades pulled and playing resident evil. Consoles and PC's have their seperate uses.

Comment

Working...
                                X