Britain Is More American Than European

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok then.
    My first job was at the Gemini Drive-In movie.
    Three screens, holding 2200 cars, 1800 cars, and 800+ cars.
    It was a great job. I had lots of fun.
    Appearances were made by Clint Eastwood, the Hell's Angels, and others.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• really? if it was a joke I didn't get it because I'm stupid

Comment

• for more info, look at my avatar icon.

Comment

• No, I'm serious.
          Started out working popcorn, moved "up" to cook.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• well done. do you think I will accumulate gather an IQ score of 1 (yeah, 001) so I can work as a toilet cleaner?

Comment

• You know, no post count is increased with that little stroll back through time, Warrior
              Thanks for the inside information.

J/K

Been here long enough to know that... and I never cared.

I mentioned it as just a lighthearted way to show how generaliztions and inconsiderate remarks coupled with lack of knowledge of the different people's of the world,can often offend and hurt.

I am sometimes amazed at how some people say one thing in one thread and then take a completely different stand in another. And alot is based just on those stereotypes.

I freely admit my lack of knowledge about all the different cultures of the world, and therefore, would never presume to talk about other nations... in the manner I see here. And have been seeing here for the past 3 years.

Sadly, a World Union will never occur in my lifetime... let alone EU's or Asian U's or whatever else U's anyone can think of.

Comment

• I know you've been here. You've just been on a sabbatical of sorts.

Comment

• Infrequently consistent , is how I like to look at it.

I know you know, I know, You know..... :blah blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldWarrior_42
                    Sadly, a World Union will never occur in my lifetime... let alone EU's or Asian U's or whatever else U's anyone can think of.
                    What about a Union of North American free states?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roland
                      I know. But with all the little kids around here, I had to do an AnnC and challange the misinformation. Or maybe Stew is boy enough to make an argument ?
                      Roland, AnnC...Roland, AnnC. :hmmm Nah...couldnt be. :

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS

It's things like butchers being unable to display weights in imperial (as well as metric) etc that currently get my goat...
                        Well, that's pretty finky. Why should they be so intrusive?

Anyway, stick with us. We still use English units! Oo-rah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthelion
                          at least you spelled my name right. I wonder how people can claim to be brighter than me if they don't even get that done
                          A...n...d...z. What's so hard?

Comment

• Re: Re: Britain Is More American Than European

Originally posted by Roland
                            Oh Stew.... why did you have to drag CBs into this ?

"We have a central bank similar to the US's in openness, led by someone who would never utter the ridiculous words "I hear but I don't listen" (Dim Duisenberg)."

The BoE is quite open, so is the ECB - the Fed does not hold press conferences, for example. As for the not-listening comment - the BoE is much closer to the ECB in that regard than to the Fed, as the two former are independent CBs, while the latter is hostage to several political interests.
                            It's the impression that you get.

If someone of importance knew a jot about financial markets, would they say "I hear but I don't listen"? Sure, EG might not listen to the vocal minority, but at least he doesn't go around shouting out that he doesn't; that's the important thing.

Now tell me, Stewie, where exactly do you see the openness, or lack thereof ?
                            Poor decisions; poor explanations thereof.

Ah yes - "leading to EU countries experiencing higher unemployment"

EU countries like the UK ? Higher unemployment than the Netherlands or Austria... tsk, tsk...
                            Of course there's going to be standard deviation from the norm unemployment of the EU, to be expected.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Britain Is More American Than European

"If someone of importance knew a jot about financial markets, would they say "I hear but I don't listen"?"

Yes. A Central Banker's motto vis a vis the "market" participants should be "I don't care if they love me as long as they fear me". The leveraged speculators will always beg for lower rates. Why not tell them where their place is ?

"Of course there's going to be standard deviation from the norm unemployment of the EU, to be expected."

Standard deviations ? lol. So the UK's unemployment rate of 5 % vs 7.6 % EU is just a standard deviation ?

Comment

• If you say me that Russia is too big think in Denmark, it is in EU and nobody says "Oh! It has Greenland! Must be Out!".

The EU doesn't apply in Greenland I think [/nitpicking]

Comment

Working...
                                X