Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey you hoser! I mean the soup brethren

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

GP --- if you do not ignore the bad things in our history, then why do you get on my case when I point out the bad things??
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by devilmunchkin
          does anyone know that we stopped slavery before Cuba and Saudi Arabia even stopped BUYING slaves? those countries didn't stop slavery until the 1960's
          1960s? What are you talking about? The labour conditions for former slaves and descendants of slaves continued to be poor in Latin America, but I don't think you can call it slavery.

Anyhow, at least Cuba was actively fighting against apartheid in South Africa by the 1970s, while the U.S. was still supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
            I agree in most parts of the world the gouverments kick the **** out of their own people BUT:

How many of those regimes received and still receive american military and economical aid?
            The U.S. has a terrible history of supporting tyrants, authoritarian governments, and brutal rebel leaders:

Suadi Arabia
            Egypt
            Jordan

and until recently:
            Contras in Nicaragua (regardless of the fact that they were shipping drugs to American teenagers)
            Mobutu in Zaire (DR Congo)
            UNITA in Angola
            Aparthied South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              GP --- if you do not ignore the bad things in our history, then why do you get on my case when I point out the bad things??
              Because I have a big enough brain to keep more than one idea at a time in it...

Comment

Originally posted by GP

Because I have a big enough brain to keep more than one idea at a time in it...
                Ok, so we do have something in common then.

I see both positive and negative with our country's history.

Comment

What year are you in college? What courses have you taken?

Comment

Originally posted by atawa

Please enlight me, what exactly did we do in africa?
                    Let's just say that the West Indian Company did not include Ghana in their Amsterdam-Caribbean route for the fair African weather... We were quite famous as slave traders, you know, being merchants and all that...

Ansd I still think slavery should have been included in Colonization...
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

your avatar speaks to this...

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                        What year are you in college? What courses have you taken?
                        I am a senior undergraduate student.

I've taken basic history courses (boring, since I already knew most of the stuff), and others I have taken include: African-American History, American Colonial History, and a couple of others.

For the fall, I am taking Modern Africa, and Historical Research Methods.

Letter grades are sometimes over-hyped at how well they represent a student's knowledge, but I get B's and A's in all of my non-history courses, and I get A's in all of my history courses.

The history professors in our department have always appreciated my contributions to class discussions, and have enjoyed presentations on certain topics that I have given.

Comment

African history and a historiography course? Ugh...

I'm sure you'll enjoy it though. Have fun.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I am a senior undergraduate student.

I've taken basic history courses (boring, since I already knew most of the stuff), and others I have taken include: African-American History, American Colonial History, and a couple of others.

Letter grades are sometimes over-hyped at how well they represent a student's knowledge, but I get B's and A's in all of my non-history courses, and I get A's in all of my history courses.

The history professors in our department have always appreciated my contributions to class discussions, and have enjoyed presentations on certain topics that I have given.

You really should take a historiography course or at least a seminar course where you are forced to use and to compare and contrast different school of thought. (revisionist, Wilsonian, etc.) I took an excellent class like this from a practicing historian (author of a text) at USNA. We compared and contrasted 2-3 essays by different writers on a selected event in US foreign policy each week. Had to write a paper each week that was restricted to 2 pages. Learned how to write and think a lot mroe tightly. and learned about historians tendancy to manipulate history and its interpretation based on supporting present day political objectives. History majors (I was not one) all took a proper historiography course.

Oh, sorry, but your last paragraph just screams out for a pat on the head smile...

Comment

Like all other countries in the world the United States has done many bad things. Slavery, then segeration, and hate toward immigrants (even though the US is a country of immigrants). During times of war there have been many examples of civil liberities being resticted, War of 1812, Civil War, World War I and II, the list goes on. During the Cold War US backed dictators, as long as they were against communism, they didn't care what kind of government they had or what they did, and it might happen again in thei "war" on terror. This is just the sad truth of reality. Humans have been oppessing each other for thousands of years, and the US has not been any different. Allthough if you compare US to other countries, we do enjoy more freedoms here than in most parts of the world.
                              Donate to the American Red Cross.
                              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                                your avatar speaks to this...
                                Thats Bettie Page. Famous model in the 50's. Her revived popularity is largely due to Dave Steven's Rocketeer comics. She is now an old lady living in Valley area of Los Angleles.

I can do without her bodage photos myself but there was huge censorship stink in the 50's and she had to testify in a Senate witch hunt hearing. Most of the bondage stuff was destroyed by Irving Claw in a plea bargain with the Feds. He couldn't afford to fight it in court.

Comment

Working...
                                X