Double Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Standard?

Should a man who wants the woman he got pregnant to have an abortion, should he have to pay child support if she chooses not to?

Should a legal system that supports abortion be in the right to force him to do so?
    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

I don't think he should have to pay if he makes his wishes known and the conception was not voluntary on his part.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes, they are both responsible for the child. Whether there is an abortion or not is really a non-issue, as far as I am concerned.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i have a question:
        does he have to if he legally relinquishes his rights?? that was an issue with my parents?...my dad wanted to give up his rights (not like the bastard had many) so that he didn't have to pay all of $75 a mo. in child support.
        "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

I'm pretty sure you have to pay whether or not you want to see your kids.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I would think so too.... but then wouldn't that only be the case if the person who had custody of the child remained single?

Comment

Should a man who wants the woman he got pregnant to have an abortion, should he have to pay child support if she chooses not to?

Heh, we covered this in the past... I got yelled at from a bunch of people (me and someone else, I believe).

My belief was that the woman has the right to have an abortion is she does not want the pregancy. Basically, she has an 'out' if he makes the mistake. However, the man doesn't have that out if the woman wants the child and he does not. He must pay for that child if he makes a mistake and the woman wants to keep the kid.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

As Krazy said, the only reason he could be excused is if the conception was not voluntary on his part. I cant imagine how it couldnt be, but if it wasnt then fair enough.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Heh, we covered this in the past... I got yelled at from a bunch of people (me and someone else, I believe).

My belief was that the woman has the right to have an abortion is she does not want the pregancy. Basically, she has an 'out' if he makes the mistake. However, the man doesn't have that out if the woman wants the child and he does not. He must pay for that child if he makes a mistake and the woman wants to keep the kid.
                  Must have missed that one..

So what you are outlining Imran is a double standard then.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                    As Krazy said, the only reason he could be excused is if the conception was not voluntary on his part. I cant imagine how it couldnt be, but if it wasnt then fair enough.
                    Some would argue that the act was all the volunteering required.

Comment

Its not a double standard. Abortion can hardly be considered an "out". If anything its an out for the man.

Comment

Originally posted by November Adam

I agree, thats why I said I can imagine how it would be involuntary...unless he was raped or had his sperm taken.

Comment

I don't agree with that. If reasonable precautions are taken, then conception is an accident. Saying you agreed to get saddled with a lifelong responsibility when you hopped in the sack with a girl while wearing a capote is like saying you volunteer to get hit by a car when you cross the street with the light.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Double Standard?

Should a legal system that supports abortion be in the right to force him to do so?
                            YES!! The man needs to take care of his responsibilites! He had sex knowing what the consequences should be. A child shouldn't have to die because his father is cheap.
                            "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I don't agree with that. If reasonable precautions are taken, then conception is an accident. Saying you agreed to get saddled with a lifelong responsibility when you hopped in the sack with a girl while wearing a capote is like saying you volunteer to get hit by a car when you cross the street with the light.
                              No contraception is 100% foolproof. If you are ignorant of this fact when you jump in the sack then tough titties.

Comment

Working...
                              X