Does Pi contain my phone number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Seeker
    "The proper word is frequency. Conner's phone number appears more frequently than your number.

Please note that both numbers appear an infinite number of times inside Pi."

I don't understand how a a pattern of numbers which repeats an infinite number of times can be said to appear 'more frequently' than another pattern which ALSO appears infinetly.

How many times does pattern A appear in pi? Answer: Infinitely.

How many times does pattern B appear? Infinitely.

On what basis do you say that one is more 'frequent'?

If you have a number like this: 0.1111111111.., but every millionth digit is a number 2-9, and the number was infinite, why is it that '1' is considered more frequent? Doesn't 1 appear at the same frequency, i.e. infinitely?
    What he said is just a lie (we don't know if Pi has the property he's stated), but that doesn't mean you can't define frequency on an infinite sting of digits; it's simply:

frequency of string a = limn-->infinityan/n

Where an is the number of times string a appears in the first n digits.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Does anyone know how far PI has been calculated? Can someone post it if possible. I'm lost after 3.14
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Sava, surfing around, I found that there are (probably) currently 206,158,430,000 digits of pi calculated. However, there is an algorithm with which you can calculate the n-th digit without knowing the previous digits, at least hexadecimal (don't know if there is a similar thing in decimal expansion). The first billion digits (only) is a 10 MB file, I hope you don't want me to post this.
        3.1415926535897932 is about the accuracy you can achieve with an IEEE double variable.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

• *head explodes*

Comment

Working...
          X