Britain refuses to extradite sept 11 suspect to the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain refuses to extradite sept 11 suspect to the USA

A British court rejects the request by the US to extradite sept 11 suspect. The US suspects the 28 year old Lotfi Raissi, who is of Algerian decent. He was arrested in Britain last september, but judge Timothy Workman said no evidence was found to support the accusations.

Source: Metro, refering to an ANP and BBC report.
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

A british Judge ... doesn't mean Britain !!!

Just the same as the American judge that refused to accept that Brit on death rows appeal .. even though an appeal came from the UK government ..

These things happen all the time.

Im pretty certain, if the American Government has a good reason to want this guy, they will come up with the evidence and he will go ..

Its not as though we want to keep suspected terrorist in our country do we ..
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

No he won't, unless the US agrees not to subject him to capital punishment
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

A british Judge ... doesn't mean Britain !!!
        So the British governement can just ignore the ruling of a judge if it choses to do so? So much for democracy.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I did not say that , but if new evidence is provided .. then the case can be legally reviewed .. I can't see how that is undemocratic ??

There is a structure of appeal in this country .. and if a judge makes a judgement, it can be taken to High Court, to the Lords, and even the European courts of justice in some cases .. if the American Government wants, they can appeal..

I was just objecting to the statement "Britain refuses to extradite" .. it was a British Judge.... just as the American judge refused appeal .. Thats not the American Governments or American peoples fault .. its just the decision of a judge using American law ..
          "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

What UR said.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes, if USA want this guy, certainly some evidences will be found on a computer bought by a NSA member for his kids for next christmas!!
              Zobo Ze Warrior
              --
              Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

I think the case was that the US who requested extradition FAILED to offer ANY evidence.

The fault Dear Brutus.........

Comment

HAND HIM OVER YOU CRUMPET EATING ****ERS!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I can't say W@nker?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      No he won't, unless the US agrees not to subject him to capital punishment
                      Want to bet a dollar?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

you can always say kittenkiller

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Want to bet a dollar?
                          Don't the Brits have laws against extraditing prisoners into situations where they face the death penalty, along with the rest of the EU?
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Probably but the issue is really down to the fact that the US produced no evidence to support their contention that he was connected to the outrage.
                            (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Don't the Brits have laws against extraditing prisoners into situations where they face the death penalty, along with the rest of the EU?
                              So did Canada, but we recently extradited Charles Ng back to California, no? (It kinda made big news here, since the serial killer was arrested at the local mall for shoplifting, of all things, and he shot an unarmed mall security guard before being tackled )
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X