No announcement yet.

What do you guys do for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economist for a natural resources company.

That is why I avoid all the economic show-off threads around here.

Comment

Ok, so I'm not a kept woman.

I'm an Architect. Do custom homes and commercial/retail design mostly.
      Have worked as faculty at my alma mater, did admin/pr work for them as well and worked through school as an overpaid drafter/underpaid designer way before cad was widespread.
      Graduated top 10 architecture students in the country, summa cumlaude and blah blah blah.

Now I'm full time mom, wife, housekeeper, part-time vet, april fools moderator, architect in between and coming soon nightclub/restaurant partner.

edit. coz latin words are banned.
      Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        Actually I am a biochemist by degree (as I said earlier) and I am applying for jobs, the major one I am after is a clinical biochemist, so there is a good chance I will be working in the healthcare sector.

But as for clinicians, no, I think Dr Strangelove is the only one we have. Docfeelgood isn't a medic though
        I thought that Docfeelgood was a nurse or something.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Re: What do you guys do for a living?

I am what translates roughly into an assistent prof at law faculty - I shall spare you the details of our university organisation and employment rules. Not to mention that they change every five minutes. I work in constitutional, administrative/regulatory, european law mostly.

Besides I have a stake in a small biz with a couple of friends. Work on legal consulting, although a lot less recently. Also did some biz consulting, where someone added the knowledge of the business in question, and I added some guesstimates and the nice-sounding phrases.

How did I get there ? Well... I started studying law, macroeconomics, history and politics. In economics they weren't able to explain what I wanted to know. In history and polsci, they didn't tell me much I didn't know anyway. So I stayed with law. The Uni job opened up, but I may well leave it when or even before my contract expires in 2006 and look for something else.

Comment

Investment banker.

After a Management Buyout I own with four partners a cool small lean mean boutique that does a lot of groundbreaking stuff in the local market - first local currency corporate bonds (its funny how we still dominate the primary market, given our puny balance sheet in comparison with high street banks ), first property investment vehicle, etc etc.

Currently holding discussions with two major Western European banks to buy us out
            Last edited by Saras; April 25, 2002, 13:33.
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I study physics at Turku University. Not as glamorous as you coul think, though... No, it's nice, I like physics. But why doesn't the government give me more money! I have no money to go to student parties...
              "Miksi ostaa koko lehmä, kun maitoa saa tölkeissä." - Birger Grönholm, fysiikanopettajani lukiossa

"Why buy a whole cow, when milk comes in jars." - Birger Grönholm, my physics teacher at 11th grade

Comment

Physics graduate, then chose to become a chartered accountant.

Technically a "student" (only exams for another 18mnths ) I spend most of my time preparing company accounts and then auditing them. Occasionally I spend some time doing other kinds of financial "stuff" such as taxation, business management, corporate finance, acquistions and mergers etc. All in all it is very interesting.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristalli
                  I study physics at Turku University. Not as glamorous as you coul think, though... No, it's nice, I like physics.
                  There is nothing wrong with studying physics

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                    Physics graduate, then chose to become a chartered accountant.

Technically a "student" (only exams for another 18mnths ) I spend most of my time preparing company accounts and then auditing them. Occasionally I spend some time doing other kinds of financial "stuff" such as taxation, business management, corporate finance, acquistions and mergers etc. All in all it is very interesting.
                    Would you be surprised if I told you physics graduates make up a very significant portion of Lithuania's I-Bankers? I also spent one year in physics until transferred into Business Admin.

Just check out the CV's of my rival firm, Vilfima www.vilfima.lt
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Physics is an undersubscribed university subject and chartered accountancy an undersubscribed profession*.

* which is why they get paid more, on average, than other professions such as solicitors.

Comment

Beerslinger and Bookmaker,little shylocking on the side.
                        Next to battle lost,misery is a battle gained.
                        --Duke of Wellington(after Waterloo)

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                          Physics is an undersubscribed university subject and chartered accountancy an undersubscribed profession*.

* which is why they get paid more, on average, than other professions such as solicitors.
                          Where are you from, Sagacious? Around here (New York) accountants make, on average, about half what a corporate lawyer (the US equivalent to a solicitor) makes. It's one of the big problems with the whole post-Enron/Andersen auditing crisis. CPAs just don't get paid enough to take on the liability that comes with the auditing territory.
                          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

London, sort of.

Accountants get more on average, but I don't know the distribution of wealth in other sectors to comment on exact details.

Comment

Computer Programmer for a small engineering company.

So that means I do some programs for the office, do scientific/data logging programs, test systems and analyze data, help administer the network/user support.
                              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I'm a sophomore at the College of William and Mary "the boot camp of academia" I am a History/Political Science (Government) double major. I am in ROTC. Plan to go to law school at the University of Virginia after my Army obligation. Future leader of the world
                                "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Working...
                                X