No announcement yet.

What do you guys do for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I write documents, change them when someone doesn't like the landscape orientation of one of the pages. Then I fill the empty boxes in with a black ball-point pen and initial and date it all.

Then I write reports stating that I filled everything in and it was all initialed and dated.

Sometimes I get to watch people clean manufacturing equipment.

Sometimes I get to push buttons.

But most of the time, I simply flip pages in the documents around.

I also contribute to the high cost of pharmaceutical products through my greedy employers.

Engineering students... STAY AWAY FROM PHARMACEUTICALS!!!! You have been warned.

Comment

I am an undergraduate student at St. Ambrose University and I am going for a BA in History.

I plan to immediately go to graduate school after this, but not sure where. I plan to get my PhD, and work as an underpaid professor, and teach undergraduate college students U.S. history.

My special area of interest, and the area I am most knowledgeable about, is U.S. history from 1850's through the 1880's.

I still have a lot more reading to do in regards to good secondary sources, and primary sources. I got a list of books I have read, and books I plan to read.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm a bit more than half way through a bachelors degree in Political Philosophy, but i probably won't finish that. I'm about to graduate DLI after having completed the basic Korean course, i plan on finishing my bachelors in whatever, and then going for a Masters in Teaching English as a Second Language, and a PhD in linguistics. (these are my current goals)

As for what i get paid to do right now, i'm a US Army Soldier, and basically i listen to the "bad guy's" radio transmissions and interpret what they're saying.
        -connorkimbro
        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Could you do the same for me here, connor?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I fix/redesign manufacturing flaws in industrial printing plates we produce.
            I travel sometimes. If there is a problem they will send me. I look at it ; evaluate and compare it. Find the defect ;and report to HQ on how to avoid/fix it.

It doesnt pay much. But not very old; the money i make suits me well.

edit: I take lots of calls. Try to answer as many problems as I can. I also represent my company at trade shows. sometimes anyway.
            Last edited by faded glory; April 24, 2002, 14:47.

Comment

Studied Economics with an eye toward joining the Peace Corps and going to Kenya when I graduated to help them set up businesses (I like a challenging environment). Got married, and the new wife wasn't too keen on the idea, so I wound up not going.

Ditched the new wife two years, and MANY dollars later, and wished like HELL I'd gone to Kenya after all....but by the time I was once again ready, the climate there, and my own desires had changed somewhat, so I stuck around the USof A.

Chanced into a computer job, found out I had a knack for it. Also found out it left me lots of time to design games and write...two of my passions.

So....I was hooked.

-=Vel=-
              (reader's digest version...the full version has a great many bizzare details best told at three in the morning in a Waffle House booth after a night spent drinkin....c'mon down to SC and we'll do just that!)
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I am a journalist — specifically, a copy editor.

My main responsibilities include story selection, placement on the page and/or Web site, headline writing, photo selection/sizing/placement. I also edit stories, write/edit cutlines and add deckheads, liftouts and pull quotes to stories (intended to convey key information and/or pull the reader into the story). So, basically, my job entails the complete design of the pages one sees in newspapers on a daily basis (there are, of course, differences from paper to paper ... not all copy editor duties are uniform in that sense).

It's a nice job, although it doesn't pay a super great salary (the longer you stay in the field, though, the better the pay gets). I enjoy the variety of the job, my co-workers (most of the time) and the fact that an average of 16,500 subscribers (more, if you include their families and friends and rack sales) read what I do the next day. The drawback to that is if you make a mistake — then 16,500 people (plus their families and friends and rack sales) see your screw up. That's incentive *not* to screw up.

And, no, I'm not a "superstar bigshot" journalist. You find those types in the big cities and centers of power. Washington, D.C., comes to mind immediately.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

By profession, hardware design Engineer.

Also freelance writer.

After spending years getting a history masters, I quickly discovered it wasn't going to pay much, so I returned to school and recieved an AAS in Engineering and an AOS in Computer design theory.

All of this leads to my "fabulous salery", so good that I suppliment it with writing.
                  I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                  i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Not a lot at the moment, currently unemployed and seeking work. A biochemist by education.
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I dont have any college expierence. When i lived on Long island, I had a friend who got me a job at Javon. And they trained me. And then I went to a week long accelerated class to get my current job.

But no college here. Please say wether you went to college.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Not a lot at the moment, currently unemployed and seeking work. A biochemist by education.
                        unemployed biochemist? sheesh come here and work for pfizer for 150k a year

Comment

Highschool student, planning on studying Biochemistry in university. Work part time as a "sales associate" which basically means I'm assigned open to close shifts at the mall store, deal with customers, cash, and quasi-manageresque duties without manager type pay.
                          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I've fallen into a strange corporate abyss. I turn up, pick at bits of administrative work that any school-leaver with a shred of common sense could do, and get paid paid about three times the going rate for it.

It's all a bit strange. One day I suspect they'll realise that I'm both ludicrously overqualified and overpaid, and start giving me the work they spent a small fortune training me to do. Or pay me off.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Interesting idea Faded Glory, but I wouldn't know how to go about emigrating, but it is an intriguing idea...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                                unemployed biochemist? sheesh come here and work for pfizer for 150k a year
                                Provost's speciality is under-the-counter drugs (he's somewhat of a dealer). It's harder to find jobs like that. He's trying to make a new drugs that have the short-term effects of marijuana but none of the long-term effects.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X