No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite TV Show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-time favorite comedy: Cheers. Currently running favorite comedy: Becker. GREAT zingers in both, week after week.
    "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

I personally wish Ted Danson would burn a fiery death. I think he's about as funny as a cardboard box. But thats just me
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Boston Public isn't a comedy or a drama. It's fantasy, a schoolboy's fantasy of what female teachers should look like .
        Golfing since 67

Comment

If I had to pick ONE show as my favorite - I guess it would be Alias

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
            Airing in the US right now, it would have to be Invader Zim. Forget Simpons, this is a cartoon with real bite. It's done by Jhonen (of "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" fame), so how could it be otherwise?
            How could I forget Invader Zim?! I love his sidekick. He cracks me up.
            You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

another Kelly show that is a comedy disguised as a drama through the use of the absurd

So then what IS a good drama? I really haven't seen one if BP and The Practice aren't it. I thought the use of the absurd was what made a good drama ... I mean better than that tripe like Star Trek, or what have you.

I admit many drama shows use a lot of comedy, such as Boston Public, First Monday, The Practice, etc... doesn't make them any less dramas.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

ER was a good drama until it went on for far too long.

DEK's shows are simply too absurd. And where did you get the idea that the use of absurd made for good dramas?

I also think Seventh Heaven is a hilarious show. I've only seen two episodes, but one was over how utterly horrible it was for the 12 year old kid to flip someone off. Religious discussions and all! The other one I can't even remember, but their lives revolve around petty issues and it's the end of the world of their kids do anything remotely un-Christian.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  another Kelly show that is a comedy disguised as a drama through the use of the absurd

So then what IS a good drama? I really haven't seen one if BP and The Practice aren't it. I thought the use of the absurd was what made a good drama ... I mean better than that tripe like Star Trek, or what have you.

*snip*
                  Homicide.
                  The Caffinated Law & Order.

To name but two

Comment

Blah... that is what they are. Sleep fests .

Well, Law & Order can be decent at times.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I think DEK's shows are better catagorized as DARK humor.

How can any show (the practice) that continually has John Laroquette on it playing a comic homicidal gay egomaniac be considered a drama. BAH.

RAH
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How can any show (the practice) that continually has John Laroquette on it playing a comic homicidal gay egomaniac be considered a drama.

Dramas can't have comedic elements in them? Then the West Wing is shot down isn't it?

Comment

Imran... based on your postings its quite clear that you generally find anything serious in tone boring.

Like LOTR.
                          Like Homicide.
                          Like Law & Order.

Professional Critics seem to disagree with your opinions... but thats to be expected, I guess.

Comment

Who said I found LOTR boring??

I said I found the first book, FOTR, boring, because it definetly was.

And yes, a lot of people think very serious dramas are boring, which is why they get canceled so quickly.

Comment

Dramas can't have comedic elements in them? Then the West Wing is shot down isn't it? [/QUOTE]

Ok, Imran, I'll concede that they can. But then you must concede that comedies can have dramatic elements. (MASH)

The West Wing is a bad example. A liberal Democrat with integrity in the White House. I personally find that very comedic.

It's a fine line. The more the absurd is used (and most of the Practice's cases are quite absurd) the more I lean towards classifying it as a comedy. Just like Ally McBeal. But I guess everyone has to make their own personal judgement on how they classify it.

RAH
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But then you must concede that comedies can have dramatic elements.

Oh, of course! I never insinuated anything other.... Mash is a great show .

A liberal Democrat with integrity in the White House. I personally find that very comedic.

It's a fine line. The more the absurd is used (and most of the Practice's cases are quite absurd) the more I lean towards classifying it as a comedy. Just like Ally McBeal. But I guess everyone has to make their own personal judgement on how they classify it.

Hmmm... perhaps... though I call Ally a drama/comedy, more drama than comedy, but the comedy is a big portion.

Comment

Working...
                                X