What's Your Favorite TV Show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Which, Mr. Canuck is very typical of American High Schools .
    Have you forgotten that I've spent four years in the American school system? It's nowhere near as bad as that.

And what's with the constant singing? That's just ASKING to be laughed at.

And teachers still being at school at like 9pm each night? I don't know if this is suble or intentional humor, but it's great.

Seinfeld did that right, Greg the Bunny and Scrubs just don't hold a candle to them.
    Seinfeld was good, but still a different type of humor.

Seinfeld was successful because it catered to most tastes. Greg the Bunny and Scrubs are more absurd, which caters a lot to my taste, and not too much to yours. That's all. For the same reason, I find Boston Public pretty funny, but you can't see humor in it. It appears I just have a better sense of humor, being Canadian and all, as opposed to your inferior American sense of humor.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Have you forgotten that I've spent four years in the American school system?

And seemingly learned little

And what's with the constant singing? That's just ASKING to be laughed at.

What is to laugh about that ?

Something they like to do.

And teachers still being at school at like 9pm each night?

You've never known inner city principals have you? Plenty of them put in extremely late hours.

Seinfeld was successful because it catered to most tastes.

Tell that to NBC the first few years it was on .

Greg the Bunny and Scrubs are more absurd, which caters a lot to my taste, and not too much to yours.

I like absurd when done right... ie, Monty Python.

I find Boston Public pretty funny, but you can't see humor in it. It appears I just have a better sense of humor, being Canadian and all, as opposed to your inferior American sense of humor.

Or rather, you just don't get it and laugh to make yourself feel better .

There are some intentionally funny parts to it, but it is mostly a cut and dried drama.

First Monday has some really lines. Just a great show... it's my must watch .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Boston Public rules!!! I should include that one. But I also liked Picket Fences. That was supposedly a drama, but I watched more for the comedy. Frank the potato man. Nearly every mayor of that town was killed.- Hilarious. Both shows made by the same guy BTW.

I like scrubs too. I love that cranky doctor (cant' remember name).

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          And seemingly learned little
          The American education system is completely and utterly inferior to the Canadian system. I had a 108% in 8th grade Science there. What the f*ck? I didn't even do homework.
          For every 5 questions you answered, there was a bonus question...

Tell that to NBC the first few years it was on .
          The first seasons were pretty bad.

I like absurd when done right... ie, Monty Python.
          I'm not a big fan of Monty Python, I find it to be over the top and canned a lot of the time. And the accents drive me crazy.

Or rather, you just don't get it and laugh to make yourself feel better .

There are some intentionally funny parts to it, but it is mostly a cut and dried drama.
          I don't get it?
          Imran, it has the most BASIC PLOTS and plot devices in the world. It's the most contrived dialog and plot sequences an ape in a cage could figure it out. What's more, is the writers can't even stay to a few stories, they constantly juggle about 10 stories per episode and carry them on for a few and then we never hear from them again (what happened to Jeremy and the hook-lady, for example?). The show is so poorly done as a drama that it can only be seriously seen as a comedy. Perhaps you're just not looking hard enough.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The American education system is completely and utterly inferior to the Canadian system.

And that means what? You obviously didn't learn much about American High Schools. I find BP very accurate (as a fictional show can be).

The first seasons were pretty bad.

Naw... they were decent.

I'm not a big fan of Monty Python, I find it to be over the top and canned a lot of the time. And the accents drive me crazy.

That is the fun part... over the top... and the accents rock .

Imran, it has the most BASIC PLOTS and plot devices in the world. It's the most contrived dialog and plot sequences an ape in a cage could figure it out. What's more, is the writers can't even stay to a few stories, they constantly juggle about 10 stories per episode and carry them on for a few and then we never hear from them again (what happened to Jeremy and the hook-lady, for example?).

And which drama DOESN'T have basic plots and plot devices wrapped in new clothing? It is the way that plot devices are presented and the context which makes for good drama.

The fact that the writers juggle stories is a GOOD thing! It shows you a vast cross section, and doesn't just make it a show about one or two people. I love that! People come in and bow out. Very nice.

One of the better shows on televisions (and nominated for awards). Really, Asher, you are the first person I've ever known who did not like that show (by saying you say it is a comedy means you don't like it, since it is marketed and meant as a drama).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

BP was good in the first season, and as typical of David E. Kelly's shows he loses control and spins it off in so many directions that it begins to disorient the fans.

Look at the nielsen ratings, Boston Public is steadily declining. More people are agreeing that it's getting outrageous, and they're already recycling plot lines (how many Student->Teacher "relations" can we have per season?!) and dropping any plot lines that had HOPE for being good simply because they were controversial (did you hear of the letter-writing campaigns that got Jeremy dropped from the show?).

I simply don't have much respect at all for the show as a drama. The acting can be really really good at times, but the drama I've seen in it was simply overblown, and I've always found that to be funny.

Anyway, that's all I'm saying on BP. Continue your other rants.

Comment

did they really drop Jeremy?

What other things did the letter writing influence? That is terrible. WTF is up with that. How can the writers let themselves be influenced by the stupid public. The public doesn't know what the hell it wants. DEK needs to go back to writing the show.

Basically I feel any person who wites a tv show is a whacko and their opinion is useless . Who listens to those crazies?

Comment

Ed is my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    did they really drop Jeremy?

What other things did the letter writing influence? That is terrible. WTF is up with that. How can the writers let themselves be influenced by the stupid public. The public doesn't know what the hell it wants. DEK needs to go back to writing the show.

Basically I feel any person who wites a tv show is a whacko and their opinion is useless . Who listens to those crazies?
                    Yeah, ratings began to wane heavily because many rednecks in the States hated how it tried to portray a gay boy as human, and the gay activists were up in arms because it protrayed a gay boy as screwed up. So their solution was to simply drop him from his show, and then his mother a few episodes later. Haven't you noticed they haven't been on for months, when they were a focal point of previous episodes?

Comment

I simply don't have much respect at all for the show as a drama. The acting can be really really good at times, but the drama I've seen in it was simply overblown, and I've always found that to be funny.

So you've said... it's mostly a drama with some comedy in it.. but you can't respect the drama, but a lot of people still do.

Oh, and the Jeremy thing ran its course... what else were they going to do with him? Though he might be back later.

But, ok.. I'll move on.

Let's talk about how awesome First Monday is then .

I haven't seen West Wing in a while (Wednesdays are usually bad for me), but I liked it when I saw it.

Comment

Haven't you noticed they haven't been on for months, when they were a focal point of previous episodes?

They do that to their characters. The head of the history department was almost non-existant for the first few shows of this season, making me wonder if she was dropped.

Comment

they haven't had many new episodes the last few months. I figured they would be back. How can they just drop them like that? The mother was working for the school after all... No big whooop. I didn't like the transition from last season to this season. I could have swore Jeremy was a senior last year. And then they never resolved the fact that Jeremy got caught in a lie when he said how his mothers hand was chopped off. I thought something would come of that.

They did screw things up a bit from the end of last season into this season though. There is no denying that. But at least they could have cleaned up the characters and resolved their storylines. Bastards.

and I haven't seen First Monday. I'm starting to get bored of West Wing for some reason. but I still try to watch it.

Comment

Judging Amy gets more ratings than Boston Public these days.

Comment

Judging Amy is a quality show.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X