Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should South Africa have racial quotas for rugby?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by finbar
    No one likes a show-off.
    Hey! I wasnt trying to be a show-off! I was trying to see if anyone would want to meet me.
    Bear in mind he's from Auckland. You can take a boy out of Auckland, you can't take Auckland out of a boy. I don't care how long he's been in La Grande Pomme.
    Dont quite know what you mean by this...are you saying Aucklanders cant appreciate any other cities??
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Caligastia


      Hey! I wasnt trying to be a show-off! I was trying to see if anyone would want to meet me.
      I'm just bitterly jealous! I was meant to go to Italy in March and it didn't happen.


      Dont quite know what you mean by this...are you saying Aucklanders cant appreciate any other cities??
      Ditto!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by finbar


        I'm just bitterly jealous! I was meant to go to Italy in March and it didn't happen.

        Bummer. Well its sounds like you have done a fair amount of travelling in your life anyway. Im sure youll get to go some other time.



        Ditto!

        Well Auckland IS awesome...

        La Grande Pomme has definitely grown on me though...I guess Im a New Yorker now...
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Caligastia



          Bummer. Well its sounds like you have done a fair amount of travelling in your life anyway. Im sure youll get to go some other time.
          That's not the bloody point! My constant aim is to get out of this rathole as often as possible and for as long as possible!





          Well Auckland IS awesome...
          I've been there. Twice. It's not far enough away from here.

          La Grande Pomme has definitely grown on me though...I guess Im a New Yorker now...
          I'll say this once. And once only. DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

          Comment




          • Sydney didnt seem that bad to me...
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

            Comment


            • It's only one part of a much bigger problem.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

              Comment


              • Auckland? AAARGGH! Auckland has to be the most annoying city in the country! It's too spread out for its population, has a growing arrogance culture, is starting to suck higher taxes out of the whole country for (of all things) their ROADS and has John bloody Banks as mayor. And whenever a big international event comes here, it's to Auckland and very rarely anywhere else.

                And I don't like Sydney much either, but then I've only ever seen the waterfront/plastic people side of it. Melbourne impresses me much more, as does Canberra.
                Consul.

                Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

                Comment


                • Actually, Melbourne is a very much nicer place than Sydney. And, obviously, they're both heaps nicer than Auckland.
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

                  Comment


                  • Canberra? There's nothing to that.

                    Sydney didn't seem so bad - didn't enjoy getting dragged into that Men's Gallery though.

                    On Rugger after yet another injury to Dallaglio Phil Vickery (tight-head) has been given the captaincy for the non-cap game against the Baa-baas on May 26th and the summer tour of Argentina. I'm not convinced by front row captains myself, and in Phil's case he comes from Gloucester so thats double jeopardy!

                    The baa-baa game is the day after the two European finals (Cup and shield) so no Leicester or Sale players will feature - this mean messirs Robinson, Johnson, Healey (Finbar will be upset!), Back, Kay, Corry, Moody and Rowntree are all out of it - I therefore fully expect a Baa-baa victory.

                    Similarly the senior players are being rested from the summer tour (something to do with the three Autumn Internationals being the tri-nations in sequence I think) so I fully expect the Puma's the knock us a place down the world rankings by beating us.

                    You guys probably just don't realise how emotionally draining it is following England - every time you think they have just about got there they mess it up

                    Sadly I also think you nailed the problem with Bok rugby - apart from the fact that they keep losing qualified Bok players to the leagues here (but then that affects all the Tri-nations - you would think we didn't have native players at some clubs!).

                    Is Caligastia on route already? He should enjoy the sights in Paris though I'm rather with you in that I prefer the South (actually I prefer Monaco given a free choice). My French however is awful at the best of times - I am in other words typically English.
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

                    Comment


                    • On a slightly OT note (but still within the Cricket/Rugby nations ), do you think anyone will want to send their cricket team on tour to Pakistan again? For those not in the know, earlier today a bomb went off outside the Black Caps' (NZ cricket team's) hotel a few hours after breakfast - it killed 11, being 9 French and 2 Pakistani. The team has been recalled to NZ, just before the second test was due to begin.

                      It's a shame, but this might mean Pakistan (and maybe even India) starts to play less of a role in International cricket.
                      Consul.

                      Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

                      Comment


                      • Nope, I dont leave till thursday. I have 4 rugby games to tape while Im gone, so when I get back I will be sitting down and watching rugby for about 7 hours!

                        In Australia I have been pretty much everywhere on the east coast, and tasmania too. I really like Melbourne, it has a lot more character than Sydney or Canberra, and Brisbane was ok too. Tasmania has a high ratio of females to males. When I was out with my mates on a friday or saturday night car-loads of girls would whistle at us as they drove by...

                        I love Auckland because it is built on a beautiful landscape, beaches everywhere, harbours, and youre never far from a volcanic cone to drive up for a fantastic view! The islands in the harbour are beautiful, and downtown Auckland has enough going on to keep you interested. I never liked Wellington, but if you live somewhere for a while you get the chance to appreciate it. My sister moved down there for a while and ended up liking it.

                        Stop talking about cricket! Its bloody boring!
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Havak
                          Canberra? There's nothing to that.
                          I'll pass that onto Alexander's Horse, Master Troll of this forum.

                          Sydney didn't seem so bad - didn't enjoy getting dragged into that Men's Gallery though.
                          I'm sure I know not to what you refer.

                          I'm not convinced by front row captains myself, and in Phil's case he comes from Gloucester so thats double jeopardy!
                          I suspect front row captains' problems begin with working out how to toss the coin.

                          The baa-baa game is the day after the two European finals (Cup and shield) so no Leicester or Sale players will feature - this mean messirs Robinson, Johnson, Healey (Finbar will be upset!), Back, Kay, Corry, Moody and Rowntree are all out of it - I therefore fully expect a Baa-baa victory.
                          Who will be Baa-Baaing?

                          You guys probably just don't realise how emotionally draining it is following England - every time you think they have just about got there they mess it up
                          You should try following the Australian soccer team's progress towards the World Cup every 4 years.

                          Sadly I also think you nailed the problem with Bok rugby - apart from the fact that they keep losing qualified Bok players to the leagues here (but then that affects all the Tri-nations - you would think we didn't have native players at some clubs!).
                          Well, that's the money problem, isn't it.

                          Is Caligastia on route already? He should enjoy the sights in Paris though I'm rather with you in that I prefer the South (actually I prefer Monaco given a free choice). My French however is awful at the best of times - I am in other words typically English.
                          One year I hired a car in Lyons, headed south, turned right at Marseilles, and spent about 3 weeks pottering around the coast down to Barcelona. Absolutely blissful.
                          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

                          Comment


                          • It's quite some squad the barbarians have actually - you may recognise some names.

                            Backs:
                            Jonah Lomu (Wellington Hurricanes/Nzl), Christian Cullen (Wellington Hurricanes/Nzl), Thomas Castaignede (Saracens/Fra), Braam van Straaten (Leeds/Rsa), Carlos Spencer (Auckland/Nzl), Agustin Pichot (Bristol/Arg), Pieter Rossouw (London Irish/Rsa), Roger Randle (Waikato Chiefs), Thinus Delport (Natal Sharks/Rsa)

                            Forwards:
                            Abdelatif Benazzi (Saracens/Fra), Jason Leonard (Harlequins/Eng), Rassie Erasmus (Free State Cats/Rsa), Adrian Garvey (Newport/Rsa), Simon Taylor (Edinburgh/Sco), Trevor Leota (Wasps/Sam), Christian Califano (Auckland Blues/Fra), Taine Randell (Otago/ Nzl), Pat Lam (Newcastle/Sam), Kieran Roche (Saracens), Mauro Ledesmo (Narbonne/Arg), Robbie Kempson (Ulster/Rsa), Todd Blackadder (Edinburgh/Nzl), Mark Andrews (Natal/Rsa), Kupo Vanisi (Wellington Hurricanes)

                            They play England (Main course even in their watered down squad)) May 26th, Wales (flimsy custard based desert) May 29th and Scotland (slightly firmer after dinner mint) on June 1st. They will win all three, trust me?

                            I'll pass that onto Alexander's Horse, Master Troll of this forum
                            Oh gawd - the wrath of AH is all I need.

                            You should try following the Australian soccer team's progress towards the World Cup every 4 years.
                            Its a good parallel I guess

                            One year I hired a car in Lyons, headed south, turned right at Marseilles, and spent about 3 weeks pottering around the coast down to Barcelona. Absolutely blissful.
                            It's all good country down there for sure, I love NE Spain myself.

                            And I'm with Caligastia on the cricket - I do watch it but then everyone needs quality sleep occassionally. But returning to 7 hours rugby friend ? I'd be in the dog house for a year if I crashed in front of that on returning from vacation.

                            You guys have clearly travelled - sadly I doubt I will make the 2005 Lions tour to NZ as my tour mates are wimping out - they reckon it's too cold there in June/July??

                            We are aiming to follow the development tour of England to Canada next summer (our summer) if it gets confirmed though. Oh and we are doing Irleand again in the six nations next Feb/Mar - you can't beat the craic.
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Havak
                              And I'm with Caligastia on the cricket - I do watch it but then everyone needs quality sleep occassionally. But returning to 7 hours rugby friend ? I'd be in the dog house for a year if I crashed in front of that on returning from vacation.
                              My wife is american, so if she ever complains about me watching rugby I remind her that she's lucky Im not into american sports because if I was I would be watching TV a lot more.

                              She actually watches some of the games with me now. She has got to know some of the NZ players, and likes a good trans-tasman game.

                              She is coming to europe too BTW, just in case you thought it was just me.
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

                              Comment


                              • Actually I had taken onboard she was joining you - which is why I avoided some of the more obvious things one could say about touring Paris and Amsterdam. I still wouldn't get away with a rugger fest on my return from such trip - you lucky devil

                                Enjoy yourselves!
                                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X