No announcement yet.

Overqualified...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stew's first choice Uni offered him CCC, if I remember correctly. Hardly Cambridge...
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
      Somehow, I'm having difficulty seeing words "Provost Harrison" and "Overqualified" so near to each other. If this thread would have been about him applying as village idiot, no, wait, a Welsh village idiot, then it would have been fine, but otherwise - it does not go!
      I tell you what Stefu, I challenge you to a dual. You list your qualifications and then I will list mine You can include experience as well
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That happens a lot more in a buyers' market than a sellers' market. That's why you should apply for research openings in biochemistry instead of as paper pushers.

I am startled to find out that Horsie is actually qualified for a job
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

I tell you what Stefu, I challenge you to a dual. You list your qualifications and then I will list mine You can include experience as well
          For some wierd reason, the image of Provost and Stefu in a fighting circle, Stefu with a antique pistol and Provost with a penguin, pops into my head.
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Being overqualified means that you have the skills to get a much better job, but since you aren't doing so, you must have some serious psychological problems.

So what are these mental problems you're having, Rich?
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

MikeH,
              I ended up sleeping with her IIRC. One of those drunken friends incidents
              You slept with her, but can't remember?
              My memory is bad, but I don't often lose track of which of my friends I have slept with. Then again, I should ask them whether we've ever slept together. Maybe I have forgotten, too.
              "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
              "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
              - Pekka

Comment

On topic,
                I've never been over-qualified for a job, but I'm always surprised when people expect me to be able to do a job that I have no background for.

e.g "So, you did Elec Engineering? That's great, as our two best computer programmers where Elec Eng's (so you must be really good, too - obviously)."
                "So you did Elec Engineering? Our Quantitative analysts are just starting to use Elec Eng theory in their work, so you'll be way ahead of them."

I don't believe it, but I'm glad they do. And I never was much good at Elec Eng, so why not try something else?
                "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                - Pekka

Comment

Three jobs over quailified, quailified, under qualified just remember F.A.B. Features advantages and benifits.

Have three resumes ready for jobs in them stress the F.A.B. of each. You will always find work that way...

Example for over qualified job stress the areas of your experience that will enhance thier need, clerical, ontime, deicated etc. Sooner or later you will hit a nerve a reason to hire you. Same goes with the rest.

I was under qualified for a job once and bragged I was the best. They hired me because the boss was a bragart and thought he was the best. Personalities play a large roll it hiring take the gut shot after some research.

Ignore the "No phone calls please" Phone them ask questions from all you chat with. Most times the receptionist knows more about the job than the boss. If they ask did you see the ad in the paper say no play the lead role tell them you are working your way though the yellow pages.

Don't lie just pad or accentuate the obvious and play down the obvious. Work them... F.A.B.
                  “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                  Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I am startled to find out that Horsie is actually qualified for a job
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                      Being overqualified means that you have the skills to get a much better job, but since you aren't doing so, you must have some serious psychological problems.

So what are these mental problems you're having, Rich?
                      Nothing like that. The other jobs I have been applying to are located away and are of the right qualification level appropriate to me. The thing is that the application procedure takes forever, so I was looking for a temporary job at home to keep me going financially, just for a few months. I was never going to stick it for long (it was only 3 month anyway), and obviously they realised this
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Overqualified

Yes it's a bumper!

Once I was told I was overqualified in a much subtler phrase: "What the hell are you doing here?"

My reply was (because what Ltec said it's the absolute truth) "Don't worry I don't want the extra money".

I mean when you're pressed against the wall and the communist revolution is nowhere near the horizon you have to temporarily compromise, no?

Anyway I've been through 3 jobs untill I found one that truely satisfies me.

I did accept to work somewhere where I was "overqualified" but I quit 2 days later and didn't even claim the money.

If you have some money left keep looking. You are bound to hear that phrase a lot. It is the curse of the "overqualified generation" as some call it.

Sometimes, I wished I was an immigrant.

Comment

I can cope, I have the 'jobseekers allowance' to keep me ticking over, but having a car, my expenses are high, alas, more than the jobseekers allowance I get paid (which isn't a lot of money).
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

That car of your is a veritable money sucking machine Mr. Penguinator. Get a bicycle. Infinitely cheaper plus you get the exercise.

Comment

I live in a fairly large city where the traffic volumes aren't too bad, so it is the best way of getting around. Plus I need it for my sanity, I use it to get out, visit friends around the country. Besides I will make a hefty loss if I sold it, it is more worth my while to keep it, especially if I get a job fairly soon.
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Ever heard of lying!!!?

Well, omitting the truth in your case...

If you made the I/V, they've read your resume so all you have to do is 'forget' to mention half the work you do or did in your previous job...

The object is to 'fit' yourself into the job on offer, sure you'll f*** off the moment something better comes along, but they don't have to know that. Tell 'em what they want to hear...

You have the luxury of being able to pare back your knowledge, I normally am working the other way which is far more difficult - I find if I can blag a job that I'm not exactly qualified for, I usually have a grace period of a couple of weeks to quickly learn all the skills I'm supposed to know in the 1st place!
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X