Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does "living in a parents basement" (which I don't, btw ) have anything to do with logical deduction proving if generalizations are acceptable or not? You seem to not understand anything going on in this thread...
    Ok then, what does my dryness have to do with the truth-value of my statements?

But you and him both seem to think that anyone at Apolyton gives a **** about what some dictionaries say and logic textbooks say regarding generalizations.
    Gee, Ash well they are just dictionaries and textbooks, not like the people who write them are experts or anything.

Seriously Ash, if you will not listen to these sources, what will you listen to? If the professional logicans themseves can't change your mind...who can?

Comment

why wouldn't it be? wouldn't an intro book be a good base to start from? or are you assuming that just because it's an intro book that it has no merit. i myself have never taken the course...so this is all new to me. i kinda enjoy it. and other might if you'd shut up long enough to let other people in.

kaak: everyone is biased to some extent. you've said that yourself. member your "eww" view on gays? yes. there. and i personally think your biased against both of us....you have a very personal vendentta that reared it's ugly head the other day.
      "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Generalizations man you fit the bill. With the way you are going he has to prove nothing you have done it for him.
        One of the fundamental laws in logic is you can't prove by example. You're in over your head here, little man.

Ok then, what does my dryness have to do with the truth-value of my statements?
        Because your admitted goal is to talk to the "general public" about it. The way you're doing it would make anyone in the "general public" stab themselves in the eye with a pencil.

Gee, Ash well they are just dictionaries and textbooks, not like the people who write them are experts or anything.
        The problem never has been the validity of the textbooks regarding logic...

Seriously Ash, if you will not listen to these sources, what will you listen to? If the professional logicans themseves can't change your mind...who can?
        Professional logicans have no say in whether generalizations are valid. They may be in logic, but contrary to what you may think, the world does not revolve around logic. There are things like morals and emotions that we need to deal with in the real world, something the logic textbooks leave out.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

it is also an intro book at baylor. This looks like a suspicious collaboration between atleast DM and LR, so she can prove to her friends that her BF isn't as dumb as everyone thinks him to be, and help him save face at the same time...
          Nice unproven conspiracy theory you have there Kaak.
          Next time you can tell me about the New World Order and UFO cover-ups.

Actually Kaak, I posted this completely on my own. I just directed DM to it after the fact. And you are not one to speak of dumb or bigoted people.
          Last edited by Guest; March 18, 2002, 04:08.

Comment

If you have not got it yet why are you here?
            For the ****s and giggles.

amazing speaking of attacking one just because..
            I've got nothing against LR, barring his pretentious attitude in 'Poly. Not only does he use multiple paragraphs to explain a self-evident dictionary definition, he expects a real debate about it! Come on, this is ludicrous.

if you are not interested change the bloodly chanel
            It's so irritatingly boring, the thread has picqued my curiousity.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

kaak: everyone is biased to some extent. you've said that yourself. member your "eww" view on gays? yes. there. and i personally think your biased against both of us....you have a very personal vendentta that reared it's ugly head the other day.
              *sigh*

first of all, you should go back and look at the last post of my thread about homosexuals.

secondly, neither of you are significant enough to me to warrant a vendetta. so don't flatter yourself
              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

There are things like morals and emotions that we need to deal with in the real world, something the logic textbooks leave out.
                Actually the text book I'm quoting has a section on morals and emotion based arguments aka rhetoric.

This book is taught as a standard in intro logic classes, but its not an intro book necessarily. Even if it was, its still a text book. All this means is that certain people were refuted by an intro book.

BTW I am talking about generalizations as such again, not about any specific generalization in the "real world" that I know has more to do with empirical evidence. I'm talking about generalizations as such, and logicans admit that they are accurate a lot of times.

Comment

kaak: puh lease. then why target me on ffz? you didn't even bother to TRY to look like you're doing other things like other posters...straight to moi. not important to you? au contraire! also, have you ever stopped to think that LR is younger and thus not as far along in college? he's a freshman kaak...you're what? a 5th year senior? that he can debate with you and sometimes prove your silliness is quite a feat. yes kaak: you title was confessions of a bigot. you said you might be wrong. but you never cam eout and said you were. honestly, by that time i grew bored of your driveling and moved onward, ho! but yet you bring up the past still? et tu brute? why can't you all just wipe the slate clean and start over. i've heard the term "boys will be boys" but this is rediculous. It's so obvious that you, kaak, have something against LR. Name calling, focusing on him..fixated almost (he's mine you know).....you should be more like Ramo.....
                  "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Not only does he use multiple paragraphs to explain a self-evident dictionary definition, he expects a real debate about it! Come on, this is ludicrous.
                    I didn't expect a big debate as the matter seemed fairly simple. Just to make a point. To this end I didn't want to leave any loop-holes. So I made it as valid as possible. Showing all my steps from definitions-premises-conclusion.

I expect any objections to my argument to be serious. That's all.

Comment

fine, fool, i'll take the bait.

Your point of this thread is to prove that generalizations are accute (even tho any sane being wouldn't consider anything based on 51% of a given population suitably for making accurate assumptions).

If this is the case generalizations must inherently be made in reference to something else. This reference often determines their relevance, signifigance and overall merit. Therefore, by the very nature of generalizations, you cannot justify them in themselves.

Two conclusions might be drawn from this:
                      1) your argument is competely without merit on its own
                      2) if you have something to reference it to, which is would be logical, you aren't telling us what it is.

So, to determine whether or not your generalization is accurate, you must give us more information and make it applicable. Even a fool knows that we do not live in a world of black and white, right and wrong. If you are trying to make it such, you are worse than i believed.
                      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

that he can debate with you and sometimes prove your silliness is quite a feat. yes kaak: you title was confessions of a bigot. you said you might be wrong. but you never cam eout and said you were.
                        go back and read the last post of the thread.

He has never proved my silliness in any discussion we have had.

And, finally, of ffz, i targeted you much the same reason i am in this post, and your other posts here. You make stupid assumptions, and pose them as arguments. Your thread there was rediculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

One of the fundamental laws in logic is you can't prove by example. You're in over your head here, little man.

I think you dispise being proved wrong.

Because your admitted goal is to talk to the "general public" about it. The way you're doing it would make anyone in the "general public" stab themselves in the eye with a pencil.

I hope it hurt on the other hand you are certainly not an example of the general public...

The problem never has been the validity of the textbooks regarding logic..

No just simpltons understanding it like you...which is obvious.

Professional logicans have no say in whether generalizations are valid. They may be in logic, but contrary to what you may think, the world does not revolve around logic. There are things like morals and emotions that we need to deal with in the real world, something the logic textbooks leave out.

True random possibilities are in fact generalizations which means similar to you these people live in a box...Post links hahahahehehehohohoho to your "professionals" comment ya right. Morals and emotions can and are generalized you have proven that....diggin a hole...yet logically your emotions will make you respond to this post..diggin
                          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                          Or do we?

Comment

kaak: you were the only one saying they were stupid. perhaps you're just bitter. there, there kaak. it's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                              I think you dispise being proved wrong.
                              You've proven nothing. You've posted a dozen times saying "grow up here's right lol lol lol look hes right lol lol lol look at that hes right lolol i wonder bait what he uses lol lol your wrong face it your wrong haha lol lol move out of mother basement haha lol lol".

I hope it hurt on the other hand you are certainly not an example of the general public...
                              Gee, maybe that's why I replied?

No just simpltons understanding it like you...which is obvious.

True random possibilities are in fact generalizations which means similar to you these people live in a box...Post links hahahahehehehohohoho to your "professionals" comment ya right. Morals and emotions can and are generalized you have proven that....diggin a hole...yet logically your emotions will make you respond to this post..diggin
                              So when did they let you out of the institution?
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Your point of this thread is to prove that generalizations are accute (even tho any sane being wouldn't consider anything based on 51% of a given population suitably for making accurate assumptions).

If this is the case generalizations must inherently be made in reference to something else. This reference often determines their relevance, signifigance and overall merit. Therefore, by the very nature of generalizations, you cannot justify them in themselves.

Two conclusions might be drawn from this:
                                1) your argument is competely without merit on its own
                                2) if you have something to reference it to, which is would be logical, you aren't telling us what it is.

So, to determine whether or not your generalization is accurate, you must give us more information and make it applicable. Even a fool knows that we do not live in a world of black and white, right and wrong. If you are trying to make it such, you are worse than i believed.

Yet viewing my and Asher's post's you still believe hummmm,
                                “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                                Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                                X