Concept of Coming Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun

I do not believe that sexual orientation of the parents affects the quality of life the child will live.

The homophobia in the society is what makes the life of a child of gay parents difficult and painful.
    A child is raised best with a mother and father:

In Fatherless America: Confronting Our Most Urgent Social Problem, David Blankenhorn discusses the different but necessary roles that mothers and fathers play in their children’s lives: "If mothers are likely to devote special attention to their children’s present physical and emotional needs, fathers are likely to devote special attention to their character traits necessary for the future, especially qualities such as independence, self-reliance, and the willingness to test limits and take risks."

Blankenhorn further explains: "Compared to a mother’s love, a father’s love is frequently more expectant, more instrumental, and significantly less conditional. … For the child, from the beginning, the mother’s love is an unquestioned source of comfort and the foundation of human attachment. But the father’s love is almost a bit farther away, more distant and contingent. Compared to the mother’s love, the father’s must frequently be sought after, deserved, earned through achievement."

Author and sociologist David Popenoe also discusses the different roles that mothers and fathers have in their children’s lives in his book Life without Father. He notes, "Through their play, as well as in their other child-rearing activities, fathers tend to stress competition, challenge, initiative, risk taking and independence. Mothers in their care-taking roles, in contrast, stress emotional security and personal safety." Parents also discipline their children differently: "While mothers provide an important flexibility and sympathy in their discipline, fathers provide ultimate predictability and consistency. Both dimensions are critical for an efficient, balanced, and humane child-rearing regime."
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

That’s why, despite all attempts to tinker with it and all accusations of sexism and homophobia, the oldest family structure of all turns out to be the best
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Boddington's I know perfectly normal and well-adjusted people who grew up in gay families. As long as there isn't the pressure towards a specific orientation that there is in straight families, they'll be just fine.

Even more fine if they were allowed to marry.
        I refute it thus!
        "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Boddington, our society has constructed those so-called gender roles that claim that such roles are only exclusive to one gender.

Many parental roles can transcend the person's gender.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Oh for christ's sake give it a rest, you half-witted little gob****e.

This is a rough, tough and callous world, and too many kids get brought up by appalling bastards who spit out by-blows without thought. Each child born and raised to thoughtful and loving parents should be seen as a triumph, and if the numbers of this are boosted by more gay couples taking part then I'm all for it.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwidow24

So what you are saying is that people who like the same gender don't have a right to interact with you??? Even though we are all human?? So tell me as long as they don't bother you, you can survive..what would you do if they did bother you?? would your whole world be spun outof wack..would you go crazy and pull your hair out..if a gay person bothered you, would you become gay too??? Hmmmmm..Maybe I am just taking what you said the wrong way?
              No, no, no... I am saying it the wrong way. They can get along with their business but not bother me. If I was bothered I probably lose my temper. And damn it, I am being honest there. If it went far enough I would try to get an restraining order for harassment.

Define "stay to themselves," Sparky. Here's a little advice, before you get started: be very, VERY careful.
              They shouldn't blurt it out in my face. I am fine with who they are, but I am not fine with them becoming obnixous to the point where I lose my temper. I have a temper, and I try to control it but when people are shoving things at my face like what they think I can lose this temper.

I hope that is not hurtful. I do accept homosexuality/bisexuality, but I am not ignorant enough so that these people are given a right to blurt these things out in front of my face. I don't run around screaming I am straight because that would be obnixous.

I hope no one gets this the wrong way.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny
                Oh for christ's sake give it a rest, you half-witted little gob****e.

This is a rough, tough and callous world, and too many kids get brought up by appalling bastards who spit out by-blows without thought. Each child born and raised to thoughtful and loving parents should be seen as a triumph, and if the numbers of this are boosted by more gay couples taking part then I'm all for it.
                Thanks for your understanding on this issue.

Comment

Thanks for your understanding on this issue.
                  Understanding? He's basically making an assumption that gay parents will be better than straight parents just to make a point - logical fallacy.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's

Understanding? He's basically making an assumption that gay parents will be better than straight parents just to make a point - logical fallacy.
                    And you are doing the reverse.
                    I refute it thus!
                    "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Goingonit

And you are doing the reverse.
                      I posted many references to a leading sociologist's work. I think this is rather more evidence to a point of view than simply an insult and a layman's opinion.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Either learn to read or learn to think. At no point did I say or imply that.

Comment

We're trying to make the point that sexual orientation does not determine whether people make good parents. Gays do not automatically make better parents, and straights do not automatically make better parents.

And besides, the gender roles are socially constructed -- many of the parental roles that are not biologically based can be seen in either gender.

Comment

We're trying to make the point that sexual orientation does not determine whether people make good parents. Gays do not automatically make better parents, and straights do not automatically make better parents.
                            Check with any leading sociologist about this.

And besides, the gender roles are socially constructed -- many of the parental roles that are not biologically based can be seen in either gender.
                            Yeah, there's absolutely no differences between the sexes apart from body shape and organs.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Yeah, there's absolutely no differences between the sexes apart from body shape and organs.
                              How, exactly, would you know?

This is just a shot in the dark, but are you an "only child"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny

How, exactly, would you know?

This is just a shot in the dark, but are you an "only child"?
                                No.
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X