No announcement yet.

The number of Jews in the world will fall by 33% by 2050

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand Eli's concern. The Jews have survived nearly 2000 years of diaspora. During this same time period countless other ethnic groups have quietly slid into oblivion. It would be a shame to see Judaism quietly die out in the next century.

Evidently you guys haven't quite grasped what's going on. Jews aren't disappearing in Israel, their numbers are declining outside of Israel. The idea of maternal inheritence doesn't matter. If a young Jewish person of either sex strongly desired to ensure that his kids would be raised Jewish then he or she would take the steps necessary to secure this goal, i.e., either marry within the religion or seek someone willing to convert or at least let the kids be raised in the religion. In the US many young Jews just don't see the point anymore. In fact, some are becoming disillusioned by what has been going on in Israel.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Is it okay for me to make a country for Satan worshippers? Well, first we'd take the land by force and then claim it and only allow people in that worship Satan?
      Your strategy is superb, massster. When do we start?
      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
        What was Hitler trying to do with his SuperRace?

The goal was honorable.
        The means - destroying every single non arrian and enslaving semi-arians (slavs) was not honorable.

I don't have a problem with people trying to protect and defend their heritage, as long as they don't hurt others.
        His goal -an ethnically pure German state of a few hundred millions- was not achievable without hurting others.

My conviction deepens that Zionists are the Jewish version of the Aryan Nations.

The conflict here didn't result in Zionist pre-meditated intentions to hurt any one, but rather in a conflict between Zionists plans to live here, and Arab plans to live here alone.
        Perhaps they didn´t want to live as a minority in their own land under a statehood created for a different culture and religion?
        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

Zionism = Racism
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

You will all be assimiliated. Your likenesses will be added to our own.

They can all be atheists as far as i'm concerned, as long as they remember that they are the people of Israel and their connection to the land of Israel.
            I've always found this racial purity rhetoric somewhat disturbing. Religion, I can understand, even if I strongly disagree with it, but ethnicity...

After all, people with the same religion share traditions and beliefs with each other. All people with the same ethnicity share is a neglibly less distant common ancestry than usual. Why bother with such a trivial distinction?
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

You're such a Jew.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                I've always found this racial purity rhetoric somewhat disturbing. Religion, I can understand, even if I strongly disagree with it, but ethnicity...
                Ethnicity is not the same as race.

[QUOTE]
                After all, people with the same religion share traditions and beliefs with each other. All people with the same ethnicity share is a neglibly less distant common ancestry than usual. Why bother with such a trivial distinction? [/
                QUOTE]
                Beats me. I know that the Israeli-apolytoners are going to hate me for saying this, but I've always found secular Zionism to be far less compelling than even Neture Karta Judaism.

Comrade Tribune: Right, they wanted the Jews to be a minority in their own land in a state created for a different culture and religion. People like to have their own country. It's called nationalism. You may have heard of it.

But really, I don't like this trend of every thread about Jews turning into a thread about Israel.

Comment

Ethnicity is not the same as race.
                  IMO, the two concepts are similar enough and ambiguous enough to be used interchangably.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Natan
                    It's called nationalism. You may have heard of it.
                    Ehhh, yes. But I have also heard that Jews have often become victims of nationalism; so I wouldn´t have expected them to be extremely fond of the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                      Ehhh, yes. But I have also heard that Jews have often become victims of nationalism; so I wouldn´t have expected them to be extremely fond of the concept.
                      I've heard that Jews have often become victims of religion, so I wouldn't have expected them to be extremely fond of the concept. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here.

Comment

Re: You will all be assimiliated. Your likenesses will be added to our own.

Originally posted by Ramo

After all, people with the same religion share traditions and beliefs with each other. All people with the same ethnicity share is a neglibly less distant common ancestry than usual. Why bother with such a trivial distinction?
                        It's not about purity necessarily; if I were a "pure" Jew, I wouldn't have blond hair and blue eyes. Yet I still feel a common link with most other Jews, and a connection to the land of Israel. It's about assimilation; not necessarily intermarriage.
                        I refute it thus!
                        "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Prosperity

The number of Jews outside of israel will be decided by the number of people who think they are Jewish- many of those childredn of 'mixed' marriages , even the ones with just a Jewish father, will think of themselves as Jewish, while many of the ones that will 'techinically' apply as Jewish might not care to retain the Jewish identity. Overall, I think the percentage of Jews in the US will decline, but the actual numbers will creep up. Something not mentioned is that, since most sectors of the diaspora are relatively prosperous, they are seeing the drop in birthrates all prosperous, well-educated populations see, the same for the Israeli middle class (Japan, for example, will see an actual pop. decline over the next 50 years without immigration). In israel itself, the two fastest growing sectors will be the Orthodox Jews and the Arabs. This means that the current character of Israel will see significat pressure as more of the population is either not jewish at all (Arab) or not secular, like the oriiginal Zionists, but orthodox.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If you love someone, in my opinion, you should go ahead and get with that person-- you don't owe that much to socierty that you should be forced to pick a certain mate for it.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Re: Eli, you completely butchered this

Originally posted by Natan
                              What the survey reffered to in the opening of the topic actually said was that there are 13.3 million Jews in the world today, and that in 2050, there will probably be between 12 and 18 million Jews in the world. So "Number of Jews in the world will increase by 33% by 2050" would have been more accurate.
                              **ding, ding** Has anyone else noticed this besides Jon? The point of this whole thread has been made moot by an error in translation (or something along those lines). Anyway, I still bet the Palestinians are multiplying faster than the Jewish folks.

I see it is too late, though. A new, mutated, ME thread has emerged from the burning rubble of the original topic.

CYBERAmazon
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                                What was Hitler trying to do with his SuperRace?

The goal was honorable.
                                ...and they have the cheek to compare me with Haider!

If you believe in restricting who people are allowed to marry based on ethnicity or religion, then you are an evil bastard who I will fight 'til my dieing breath.....

Last edited by Rogan Josh; February 14, 2002, 11:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X