Turkey shuts down Kurdish TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey shuts down Kurdish TV

View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health at CNN.com.

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey (Reuters) -- Turkey's broadcasting watchdog has suspended broadcasts for one year by a local television station that played Kurdish-language music videos.

The move, on Monday, comes despite a constitutional amendment to allow Kurdish broadcasts.

Turkey altered its constitution in October to allow Kurdish-language television and radio broadcasts, part of a drive to meet European Union human rights standards, but it has yet to change the relevant laws.

"Broadcasts by Gun TV have been stopped for 365 days for playing music pieces with Kurdish lyrics," Turkey's Radio and Television High Council (RTUK) said in a statement.

"(Gun TV) was in violation of (laws) barring broadcasts that incite society to violence, terrorism and ethnic separatism and incur feelings of hatred in society," the watchdog said.

An RTUK spokeswoman said the watchdog expects Gun TV to file an appeal once lawmakers make Turkey's legal code conform with the constitutional changes, but said the ban could still stand.

"These are not just romantic songs, but strongly ideological songs," she said.

The EU has said Turkey must improve its human rights record, including expanding cultural and linguistic rights for its 12 million Kurds, if it is to begin membership talks with the bloc.

RTUK often imposes short suspensions on television and radio broadcasters for various infringements but rarely imposes bans for as long as a year.

Gun TV broadcast rallies and meetings organized by the People's Democracy Party (HADEP), Turkey's only legal Kurdish party, which faces possible closure for its alleged ties to Kurdish separatists.

"The decision was completely political. There were no sorts of 'separatist' programs being broadcast. It's a one-sided decision," said Nevzat Bingol, Gun TV's owner.

Police raided Bingol's Gun Radyo in November, stopping the radio station's broadcasts and seizing studio equipment.

Separately, authorities have cracked down in recent weeks on a campaign calling for Kurdish-language instruction in schools.

Police have detained hundreds of university students and parents who signed petitions calling for Kurdish in the classroom. Turkey fears greater Kurdish cultural rights could prompt restive Kurds to demand greater autonomy.

Security forces have fought Kurdish separatists in a 17-year-long conflict that has claimed 30,000 lives, mainly civilians in the southeast.

Violence has all but ceased since the 1999 capture of Kurdish guerrilla commander Abdullah Ocalan. Ocalan, now on death row for treason, has called on his fighters to withdraw from Turkey and seek rights for Kurds through political means.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Excellent comments, Marky.

Yay for censorship. Go turks.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The muslim Turkeys (read Turks) are supressing the Kurds. When is the genocide coming? Are they gonna repeat what they did to the Armenians in 1915?

Angry like a Turk is an expression in English as well? Any Turks in here?

Comment

Rufus T. Firefly lives in Turkey.

Is this serious concern on MarkG's side on the welbeing of the Kurds, or just Turkey bashing?
        Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
        -
        My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

Comment

Greeks dont like Turks. I think he's turkey-trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars-E
            Greeks dont like Turks. I think he's turkey-trolling.
            feel free to post some positive news related to Turkey's human rights or the continuing occupation of half of Cyprus. i'd love to see some
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              feel free to post some positive news related to Turkey's human rights or the continuing occupation of half of Cyprus. i'd love to see some
              I know the Turks are evil. There are 55 mill of them mostly moslems (misspelled that). Very few christians. There's only one bible school in all of Turkey and it has 15 students! It's located in Ephesus.

Not long ago Turkey shut down a few churches due to criticism of the government. How come we don't hear about stuff like that in the news?

Persecution of christians seems to be a taboo subject. When I read or watch news from Indonesia it's allways about religious fighting between moslems and christians. Why don't we hear the more true version which is that moslems burn churches and kill pastors and others due to plain intolerance? Some religion huh? Violent. I have more examples from all over the world...In 1998 all christian foreigners were expelled from the Maldives. Never hit the news! Amazing.

Anyways, The Turks are in great need.

Comment

The christians haven't been doing much better in the past.

Are the Kurds muslim? Is their struggle for a seperate state different from the Balkan struggles? Not trolling, just asking.
                Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
                -
                My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Drekkus
                  The christians haven't been doing much better in the past.

Are the Kurds muslim? Is their struggle for a seperate state different from the Balkan struggles? Not trolling, just asking.
                  That is if they were true christians and not for political reasons etc.

Some Kurds are christians. The Turks don't like evangelizing in their country. They feel uneasy toward christians due to the Armenian genocide. Armenians are mostly nominal christians. Or should I say were, considering the Turks almost killed them off. 1,5 million. Great crime against humanity.

Why shouldn't the Kurds have their own state?

Comment

"Are the Kurds muslim?"

Pretty much excusively so. They were also used by the Turks against the Armenians in ottoman times.

There is however a not so well-known religion in Anatolia, the Alawis or Alawites that differ on some aspects from muslim orthodoxy. Make up maybe 15-30 % of Turkey's population and maybe a higher percentage of the Kurds.

Comment

Turkey's Kurdish policy is just plain stupid, brutal, and awful. The Copenhagen criteria require revision of the policies before Turkey can ascend to the EU; this will be a big setback, obviously, and rightly so.

Turkey's broacasting oversight ministry, RTUK, has also been shutting down other channels recently, though not for political reasons. One channel was pulled off the air a couple of weeks ago for broadcasting indecent material after midnight (and I missed it!); they were shut down for 10 days, and lost a bundle of money. I've no idea what the stepped-up surveillence is about.

To contextualize the Kurdish problem, though: Turkey's never gotten on well with the Kurds, but problems intensified after the Gulf War, when Kurdish refugees spilled over the Iraqi border in large numbers. At that point, demands for ethnic autonomy were stepped up, and terrorism was used to promote the Kurdish agenda. The Kurds are thus roughly analogous to the Palestinians in some respects.

Finally, as a Christian living in Turkey, I'm unaware of any Christian repression here. It is the case that the Turks recognize the Catholic church and various Orthodox churches (Greek, Russian, Armenian, Syrian), but not Protestant denominations; this seems to date from the beginnings of the Ottoman empire (i.e., pre-Reformation), when the existing Christian sects were "grandfathered" in. I do frequently meet American Protestant prosthetyzers (or, to use the British phrase I prefer, God-botherers) here, though, and it wouldn't surprise me if the state were impatient with them. I know I am.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        Finally, as a Christian living in Turkey, I'm unaware of any Christian repression here. It is the case that the Turks recognize the Catholic church and various Orthodox churches (Greek, Russian, Armenian, Syrian), but not Protestant denominations; this seems to date from the beginnings of the Ottoman empire (i.e., pre-Reformation), when the existing Christian sects were "grandfathered" in. I do frequently meet American Protestant prosthetyzers (or, to use the British phrase I prefer, God-botherers) here, though, and it wouldn't surprise me if the state were impatient with them. I know I am.
                        Not really talking about severe repression, but that you'll be given the evil eye if you evangelize.

Not recognizing protestants I'd say that Turkish authorities are God-botherers.

Also closing churches due to governmental criticism is over the line as well.

I like freedom of religion. How about you?

Comment

Roland: 15-30 sounds much too high to me. My understanding is that the Alawis are almost all Arabs and those in Turkey (most live in Syria's Latakia province) are found mostly in Alexandretta in the corner of Turkey - which is why Syria's Alawi government wants to grap Alexandretta.

As for the original subject, Turkey is really getting absurd here. It's like something out of the USSR or 1930s Poland. Not a way for a modern country to behave.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars-E

Not really talking about severe repression, but that you'll be given the evil eye if you evangelize.

Not recognizing protestants I'd say that Turkish authorities are God-botherers.

Also closing churches due to governmental criticism is over the line as well.

I like freedom of religion. How about you?
                            I hate evangelists . People can believe whatever they want, but don't try and tell me about your love for God, 'cause I cannot be held responsible for my actions when another one of those jokers comes up to me.

As for Turkey, at least they have a largely secular government and army. What they do the Kurds isn't particularly civlised, but then the Middle East hasn't been at the forefront of civilisation for at least a couple of thousand years...

Comment

More like 400...
                              yada

Comment

Working...
                              X