No announcement yet.

How many languages do we speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More correct it will be 2 and a half. Romanian (native), English (pretty good) and some rusty French.
    "Respect the gods, but have as little to do with them as possible." - Confucius
    "Give nothing to gods and expect nothing from them." - my motto

Comment

I speak english of course, and i get get by rather well in korean, though not at a highly educated level (it's coming little by little, once i actually MOVE to korea, i should get much better very quickly, i'd imagine) as well as smatterings of german, french, arabic and spanish. I only counted myself as bilingual though, i could just barely get with what little i remember of german, and not at all with french or arabic or spanish.
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I'm not sure about chinese and other eastern languages and their histories, and that is why i excluded them. They may have changed a great deal as well, even if it was only mixing in a bit of mongolian. The chinese and japanese and others didn't have a great deal a cultural assimilation IIRC

From what little i know (according to my korean teachers)
        Korean has ALOT of chinese vocabulary (something like 70%) but it's all pronounced just slightly different . . . but as far as the grammar and structure of the language goes, they are completely unrelated. Actually (again, this is according to my PhD in linguistics korean teacher, he speaks 12 languages fluently) Korean(s) actually came from the mongol's, who used to live much farther west, thus alot of the grammar and structure of the language is much closer to Finnish.

As far as japanese, i really couldn't say, other than the fact that they share some chinese vocab as well, but not as much.
        -connorkimbro
        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I have studied several languages, and some of them I actually was able to communicate in fairly easily, though through lack of use I am pretty pathetic in most of them now.

English - (my native language)

Japanese - (we lived there for 6 years when I was a kid, and I spoke as much Japanese as English until I went to school)

French - I took this in school, but the instruction was as poor as my work habits. Still, it helped me to get around when I was in France, and didn't hurt my verbal scores on my college entrance exams.

Mandarin Chinese - I took about two years of this in college, and was good at it. I haven't used it at all though, and it occupies a dusty corner toward the back of my mind.

Russian - I was pretty good at Russian. I studied at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California, worked as a Russian Linguist for the Army for a couple of years, and then took another year at the University when I got out. Disuse has sapped my abilities, but I was surprised when I had to translate for my girlfriend with one of her Russian clients that a lot of it came back fairly quickly.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

does sign language count?

I often speak cave man after many beers.
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Native language: Bavarian (and it is a destinct language; you won't understand much no matter how good your standard german is)

School: standard german, english, latin (passive), french (rusty)

English, latin and french make for acceptable passive knowledge of most romance languages; eg simple new articles or legal texts in spanish and italian (italian would be simple if it weren't for all the nella and della... ).

Started spanish and esparanto once, but didn't follow through.

Natan:

How about writing a bit of jiddisch ?

Comment

German and English
                I mean yeah I could count French, but for that it would have to be a little better

Comment

English is my mother tongue, and I learned French, and Hebrew (if I can still remember any of it). I guess I could have counted Latin, but Latin is dead.
                  I refute it thus!
                  "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

All this talk of mother tongues. It's disgusting, I tell you, disgusting!

Well I can speak English well, obviously. A bit of French, and some really ridiculous things in German. I can ask for the bill in Greek, say some basic things in Turkish like 'Hello', 'Yes' and 'The Young Man Is Not A Policeman'

That is it I am afraid. Unless our more xenophobic contingent, I am not proud of my lack of linguistic ability, nor do I adapt to new languages particularly readily.
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well, ya know what they say - one who knows three languages is trilingual, one who knows two languages is bilingual, and one who knows one language is American

I know Finnish, Swedish and English, although I wish I didn't know Swedish. Booya!
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Greek, english and french.

I'd speak some German too if I didn't skip class every other day so I could see my girlfriend early.

Why must I be a teenager in love

I had taken too much on: university, work, girlfriend and German.

Something had to give and it was the German class.

The only thing I remeber is «kleine» and «naturlich» «eins, zwai, drei» (I propably horribly mispelled them)

edit: BTW naturlich was a very useful word. In everything the teacher would ask me (and of course I didn't understand a thing) I would always reply (in a very confident tone): «Naturlich». I think I had made her crazy by the end of the year. (first time I was a «bad boy»
                        Last edited by Bereta_Eder; February 6, 2002, 12:06.

Comment

In order of fluency:

1. Finnish - naturally.
                          2. English - hmmm... naturally?
                          3. Swedish - Jag hatar min svensklärare...
                          4. German - Ich bin laden (I am loaded)
                          5. French - not much, but enough to list it.
                          6. Latin - Sic transit gloria mundi.
                          7. Italian - but just a few phrases. Did take a course on it, but it was taught by my Swedish teacher

I would say that I speak four languages, and know fairly two more.
                          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

English of course.
                            Enough French and German to get myself into trouble.
                            I once used the wrong German pronoun and propositioned a hotel desk clerk. But she was a very good looking fraulein
                            Working on Mandarin.
                            Anybody up for a Zhongwen thread in time for the New Year?
                            Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

I am
                              though i don't have a program that can type Chinese at this point.
                              Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Spanish --- my language
                                German
                                English ---- but some people in these forums would disagree with that

And a little French and Dutch.
                                "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
                                "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
                                The Spanish Civilization Site
                                "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Working...
                                X