How many languages do we speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many languages do we speak?

I will reach prince, damn it! (sorry, simple rant)

As we all know, since people always do the favor of telling, many (perhaps most?) of the posters here are from non-english speaking countries, which i assume, means that they speak multiple tounges (heck, they post in english), while at the same time, most persons who live in the english speaking world have a hard enough time with one language alone, far less two or three. I think this applies to Yanks and Brits, though I am not sure about ANZAC education practices. So, yet another wonderful poll. And of course, folk are welcomed to dicusses either the wonders of bilingualism, or the stupidity of english speakers, or about how those non-english languages are really funky, and thank god they will all disappear within the next century.
    Monolingual- I cans talk very good!
    16.67%
    bilingual- Yo quiero un steako, porfavoro...
    28.43%
    trilingual- Sorry, not witty enough
    29.41%
    I know more than three languages- bow down to me!
    25.49%
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Re: How many languages do we speak?

Originally posted by GePap
    I will reach prince, damn it!

Not in this forum.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

But to answer your question, I only speak english - and I had a hell of a time learning that alone, I've taken both french and german classes before, but I simply am not very good at learning languages.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I speak english, and I'm fairly decent at Spanish, too. I managed to test out of 11 credits worth at the beginning of the year.

Comment

Just English. Programming languages don't count.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

One an a half? I speak English, obviously, and I can generally get by in French - make myself understood, understand enough of what's said or written, and be able to ask for clarification at a slightly slower speed...
            The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
            Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
            All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
            "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

One-- English.

I'm learning Latin right now, though.
              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
                One-- English.

I'm learning Latin right now, though.
                Does that count?
                The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

Comment

Round up

Chowlett brings up a good point-

try to round up. If you are good at a second languge but don't feel yourself to be proficient, for this poll, just go with bilingual. If all you can do is ask where the bathroom is, well, stick with mono.

Comment

English, Dutch, French, German, Luxembourgish and a bit of Spanish and Italian.

Comment

If they speak it

Latin does count, since people do speak it, though not many. Programming languages don't count, since no one speaks them, unless you are having C++ discussions with your friends, in which case, get away from your computer and go get some help.

Comment

English, Nederlands.

Two Languages|Twee Tallen. Isn't that clever|Is dat niet knap.

Does Gibberish count.
                        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Re: If they speak it

Originally posted by GePap
                          Programming languages don't count, since no one speaks them, unless you are having C++ discussions with your friends, in which case, get away from your computer and go get some help.

Whoops, sorry, slipped into binary there for a second.

Comment

Re: Re: If they speak it

Originally posted by loinburger

01100100 01110101 01101101 01100010...

Whoops, sorry, slipped into binary there for a second.
                            dumb

Did you mean that?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: If they speak it

Originally posted by Chowlett
                              dumb

Did you mean that?

Comment

Working...
                              X