No announcement yet.

Misconceptions about American Food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 17:39.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I think the UK has the worst food by a mile - both in style and quality. Its expensive too.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 17:39.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I've never been to the UK, but when I think about British food I think about extremely rich and heavy food, like Steak and Kidney Pie. Dad was stationed in Britain during the war, He claimed that British food was heavy enough to have military uses.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Standard Brit fare is something like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Nice, but too heavy on the meat side.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I have lived in the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland and the US, so here are my opinions.

Cheapness of food and quantity: the US wins hands down. The size of portions in US restaurants is amazing. I have rarely finished a meal in a US restaurant. It is also bloody cheap, even in the more expensive restaurants (compared to other countries).

Quick food: I don't mean junk food, but food which you can get reasonably quickly, without much fuss. Again the US wins, probably because it is so concerned with convenience. I would say Italy is a close second since it has many informaly eating places where you can get a pizza or pasta. (BTW IMHO Italian pizza is far better than US pizza).

Supermarkets: I actually like the UK supermarkets best. There are some really good ones (although there are also plenty crappy ones). They have quality food and good choice and are usually very convenient. An extra bonus is that the fellow shoppers are far more polite and considerate than in any other country. France is also pretty good - they have some really nice supermarkets. The US ones are usually very convenient but there are quite a few things that are hrd to find and I don't find the quality as good as the French (bear in mind though that I am not American, so I am probably looking for non-typical things). German supermarkets are completely crap....

Quality food: For really good restaurants I think Germany really shines. I think this is a standard of living thing. Germans are very rich, so they can afford really good restaurants, and they have some fabulous ones. Italy is not far behind. Having said that I think the best dinner I have ever had was in Prague. French restaurants are overhyped....

Homemade food: I am sure all 'civilized' countries can have great home made food. I think this is the problem with these comparisons - people compare good homemade food from their country with their experience of 'homemade' food in other countries which is invariably not homemade or representative.

These are of course just opinions. Whether one type of food is 'better' than another is completely subjective. I personally prefer Haggis to bratwurst, but others may disagree.....

Comment

Originally posted by Evan von Christoph

I shall answer these and many more question in a thread I am going to start tommorow.

For Dinner I had some Pork Roast with Corn and Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. Fine eaten! You Euro's are really missing out...
                lol. That's a totally normal, if boring, meal in this country.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

I'll say this much. I love food. It doesn't matter what kind it is, or where it came from. It's all good. What does it matter that I'm going to die before 40?

Live while alive, and don't worry about the rest.

By the way...

I would love to have an enourmous bowl of cornbread and milk.
                  "Maybe there's a god above, and all I ever learned from love... was how to shoot at someone who out-drew you. It's not a cry you can hear at night. It's not somebody who's seen the light. It's a cold and It's a broken hallelujah." ~ Cohen

Comment

(shudder)

"The US ones are usually very convenient but there are quite a few things that are hrd to find "

Try finding good, inexpensive artichokes or mascarpone in downtown Lnd, ON....

The best meals I can remember:

Canadian owned restaurant/bar in Melaque, JAL, Mexico called the Viva Maria 1910. A succulent Lobster tail with 3 kinds of dipping sauce for the individually wrapped Lobster tail sections (hard to explain) served with a jumbo shrimp cocktail in a big margarita glass, with the best Seafood crepe in cream sauce I've ever had. With a margarita on the side.

Meal at a local steakhouse, recently. 10 oz Filet Mignon with mashed garlic-butter potatoes. A roasted garlic bulb. Cheesecake dessert. Boston clam chowder appetizer. Frangelico in coffee, with whipped cream. A raspberry 'framboise' sweet dessert wine. THE best steak I've ever had. Period. So tender I barely even needed the knife. So flavourful that I didn't even drown it in HP sauce. Seared crispy outside, buttery medium rare inside....oh...oh....OH!...(changes underpants)

My great-grandmothers polenta recipe (a cornbread cake) with her chicken cacciatore. Homey.
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Where I'm from there's a large Hungarian ethnic area, or so my Mom says, so we get some cool stuff that is probably unusual in other areas. Anyone ever had a Keeflie(sp?) it's this dough thing filled with nuts and other mashed up stuff and covered in powder(like the powdered diughnuts). It's served mainly as a cookie type thing at Christmas. Also Goulash, which I personally do not appreciate, then there's beef and noodles (homer drool). Ahhh, I know whenever my Mom makes Pot Roast, at least 'll probably get some beef and noodles from the leftovers.
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Working...
                      X