No announcement yet.

Misconceptions about American Food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 17:39.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

How are you Evan? Convert to christianity yet?

Hiya EvC. What's your sexual orientation this time?
      I shall answer these and many more question in a thread I am going to start tommorow.

For Dinner I had some Pork Roast with Corn and Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. Fine eaten! You Euro's are really missing out...

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 17:39.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Well, I've been on two vacations to Europe, and on the first one I gained a bunch of weight, as a young kid. I lost some of it when I got back home. The second time I lost ten pounds. However, I don't think this was at all dependent on portions. It was all based on level of activity. On my first trip to Europe I did nothing but be driven around in a car and do some walking. The only real excercise I did was not so coincidentally the only place where I didn't gain weight, Bad Dreicherchen. On my second trip, eight weeks in Finland,I was very active, going swimming, walking, and biking almost every day. I felt great. I also noticed that the Finns are very QUICK eaters. I'm usually the first to finish over here but man, I just couldn't beat 'em!

Portions? I don't think they're that much different, but then again, I live in the Northeast, which might have less sizable portions than the South.

As far as America's reputation as an obese nation, some of that reputation is deserving, but not all of it. There are plenty of healthy people over here, me included.

Myth: There is no such thing as an Italian deep-dish pizza.

Not true! When my family was staying with our relatives in Italy, the mother of the house cooked this incredible thick, THICK pizza! Perhaps it isn't as well known, but they exist. . .

Best American dish? New England clam/fish chowder.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Makeo
            I'd kill for some real butter. You can't buy anything over here except sweet cream butter. Also the honey tastes funny. The chocolate isn't as good either. Nor is the bread, too artificial. As a generalisation I would say that american food is too processed.

I definately like the mexican influence here.
            Thanksgiving is the greatest holiday ever. Pumpkin pie and Pecan pie are excellent and i'd never had them before.

Peanut butter seems to be in everything.
            You are not in the real world if you are in Breckenridge Makeo. That's as far from normal American cuisine as France is LOL. Real butter is everywhere, I bet I could walk in any grocery and find 10 different brands. If your eating Mexican in America its not really Mexican, just American crap with some hot sauce
            What are you eating with peanut butter in it? Honey, do people still eat real honey?
            I do agree American food is way to processed and artificial. Americans want fast and ready to eat, no wonder we are such fat pigs!!

Comment

Stop talking about food...I had dinner yet you're making me hungry!!

I would kill for a good Indian right now. And some curry too.

Mmmmm. Lamb vindaloo served on top of pilau rice. Somosas served with spicy lime pickle and mango chutney. Tandoori chicken kebabs wrapped in warm naan bread. Pappadoms, enough to crush an elephants back!

(For dinner, I had ribs marinated in bbq sauce that had been spiked with soy sauce and other chinese spices to give it an asian slant. Along side, I had steamed baby bok cho and a baked potato with sour cream, chives, and bacon bits. My sister, who is far more strongly influenced by her American/Canadian surroundings than I am, literally drowned the potatos in sour cream.)
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

"For Dinner I had some Pork Roast with Corn and Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. Fine eaten! You Euro's are really missing out..."

Jesus Christ! For dinner tonight I had roast pork with corn and baked red potatoes!

Of course, mine was better cause my mom was cooking.

Jesum crow, you foreigners have never even had "Milky Chicken" have you? Then again, most Americans haven't either!

p.s. EvC I'll hold my breath to see what the latest chapter of your life is like.
                Drake Tungsten
                Albert Speer

Comment

I couldn't eat food in that quantity Striker.

Typical for me on a work day is:

A cup of tea on waking.

Bacon and egg muffin or sausage roll when I get to work.

Morning coffee around 10am

No lunch until after 2pm when they discount the food Usually sandwiches and OJ, or that sort of thing.

Afternoon coffee around 3pm

Sometimes no dinner, just snacks of an evening (toast, whatever). If dinner, one course.

And I'm still a bit overweight. Must be the beer
                  Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 14, 2002, 01:20.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If you go to NE Jawharps house, however, prepare to eat macaroni and cheese. . .
                    Drake Tungsten
                    Albert Speer

Comment

"Yeah we are fat slobs, I'll definatley agree there. And our portions are gigantic."

Bah. The Americoms visiting here are usually pretty impressed with our food. And even more by us still lacking behind you a bit in obesity - from our cuisine's calory content, we should have overtaken you with the first postwar Fresswelle.

"Oh my God Eurocoms this pie is TO DIE FOR."

Death by apple pie ? Interesting concept. I prefer Apfelstrudel, btw... Ah, Strudel... Guglhupf....

Comment

When I think about american food, this comes to my mind:

I don't think it is very "fatty" or otherwise high-calorized. The fact that americans are regarded as size XXL comes from the lack of excersize. A stereotype that is.

Foods: Pizza, Burgers, Tex-Mex, Turkey, Apple Pie, Fresh fruit, one pound steaks. Beef, pork and chiken in every imaginable way... and none of the bread of breads: rye bread, which is a shame. How on earth can one live without such a delicacy, yet nutritious and good for you in every possible way. Rye bread is the ultimate choise for healthy eating.. Rye bread RLZ!

Drinks: bad coffee, worse beer, great wines
                        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

There are different types of rye bread. Depends on if you mean the tough as rock, hard and dark rye bread or the tasty, nutritious, seeded light rye bread.
                          Drake Tungsten
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            Make that 4 glasses of milk.

*BELCH*
                            Damn you're a pig!
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Best American dish? New England clam/fish chowder.

Ewww... Manhatten clam chowder is MUCH better!

I would kill for a good Indian right now.

So would India .

Of course, mine was better cause my mom was cooking.

But he had Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, so he wins .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Evan von Christoph
                                For Dinner I had some Pork Roast with Corn and Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. Fine eaten! You Euro's are really missing out...
                                Missing out? We're not in Africa!! That would be a perfectly normal meal here too.
                                For all the diversity of american food, in all its fattiness, it is really no more special than that of any nation, and debatably less so because of its shared cultural heritage with the rest of the world.
                                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                                X