No announcement yet.

Misconceptions about American Food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Striker, national dishes and "this is what they cook there" are different concepts...

Some of that stuff is eaten here in Argentina too y'know.

Comment

Whatever it is, it has an edge over English food.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 17:38.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

How are you Evan? Convert to christianity yet?

American food?

Fluffy white bread - peanutbutter/jelly sandwhich.

McDonald's.

Comment

Hiya EvC. What's your sexual orientation this time?
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

what I think about american food?

american food is hamburgers. Hamburgers are sh!t. Thus american food is sh!t.

And even more ****ty than european hamburgers since we don;t use hormone filled beef so our tits are not the size of Pamela Anderson's balconies and we don't use genetically modified crops so we riosk no danger of growing tentacles by the time we reach 40.

Comment

American food = any food that is unhealthy and makes you fat.

The proof: something like 50 per cent of Americans are obese. Most Americans are so used to seeing their fat neighbors that they never think about it. But when people from Asia go to the US, the most common reaction is: man, are these people fat.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Now the ultimate anti-US troll...

Everything said by Europeans (and Argentines for that matter) in this thread is right. Everything said by US-Americans in this thread is wrong.

Thanks for opening this thread, EVC, I'm looking forward to see it turned into a hatefest

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                    Whatever it is, it has an edge over English food.
                    On the contrary. English food is often slammed by others, especially the French, for being bland and dull. But English food is hearty, warming and above all is intended to be eaten. French food is the kind that is cooked specifically for some chef to look over and blabber on for hours about how artistic it all is. I defy anyone to mock the full English breakfast, which I daresay is one of the best in Europe, if not the world.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

BTW, there's no such thing as a German dish either. The stuff you would refer to as German food is hardly eaten any more. Now look at the Brits, Fish and Chips actually is a popular dish there.

Poor us, without a cultural identity, without political acknowledgement in Europe.

beat that whine

Comment

Grits, Cornbread, CollardGreens, Fried Green Tomatoes,
                        SweetPotato Surprise, BrunswickStew,Hash, PeachPie, Barbeque

Yummy!!
                        (except for grits they suck)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson

On the contrary. English food is often slammed by others, especially the French, for being bland and dull. But English food is hearty, warming and above all is intended to be eaten. French food is the kind that is cooked specifically for some chef to look over and blabber on for hours about how artistic it all is. I defy anyone to mock the full English breakfast, which I daresay is one of the best in Europe, if not the world.
                          We should start talking about English cuisine instead of French? Right?

The English kitchen is famous for being bad and French for being good. The breakfast might be good though. But what's up with plum pudding and those "hearty" christmas desserts? Sounds awful.

Is Shepherd's Pie English? Hopefully for the Englanders it is Scottish.

Comment

Burgers, Fries, Philly Steak Sandwiches, Chili, Clam Chowder, Ice Cream Pizza (DQ), Steak (We prepare it differently IIRC), American Fries, basically most sandwiches, Wisconsin Cheese, Chicago Style Pizza, New York Style Pizza, Barbecue, just about anything grilled...

I'm not sure about these, but this is stuff my Mom makes that consider "American" - Meatloaf, Scalloped Potatos, Stuffing (or dressing), Pink Fluff, Broccoli and Cheese, any way you prepare Corn...

These are "made", but it's done by American Companies - Doritos, and just about any other chip, Combos, etc.
                            I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                            New faces...Strange places,
                            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Europeans, I've made this thread just for you.

I'll start by asking, what is it that you think is American Food?
                              Fattening. I stayed in the US for two months, and in that time I gained 12 pounds. Three months after I was back my weight was back to "normal".
                              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Well, Americans certainly managed to butcher the concept of a pizza and export it all over the world. If people think a pizza should look like the stuff they sell at Domino's -they're sadly mistaken-

A pizza should have a thin flat crust, some tomato sauce spread over the top, some mozzarella cheese and some spices. Like they serve in those small restaurants in Italy for away from the local tourist traps. Pizza's are NOT supposed to come with a deep pan fried super taco curry bean pineapple topping!

Oh yeah,
                                And the crusts of American style pizza's are much too thick, we're baking pizza's, not bread!!!
                                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                                X