Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Has Improved The Most At English Out Of The Foreigners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well when I arrived at Apolyton, Stefu's English was already of a high standard so I can't really comment on how he has improved. By this time, classics like 'I have the leadership abilities of a small cantaloupe' has already passed.

Eli has improved well, although his English was fairly competent to begin with. But my award must go to Andy (Ecthelion) because his English has come along brilliantly, and I can also vouch for his spoken English as well when in Amsterdam and after he picked up confidence, was conversing with me and my friend down the pub with no problem whatsoever.

The award for actual best English speaker who is non-native must go to Snapcase. Obviously lived here at uni for over a year now so his English is spot on, probably as good as mine if not better Has a Swedish accent but I have my accent and his is probably easier to understand in English than mine
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Giancarlo, what language do your parents speak at home? And didn't you used to live in SoCal?
      the good reverend

Comment

Surely the burning question should be "Who has acquired the widest lexicon of obscure and filthy English obscenities from exposure to Bugs"?
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I actually think that posting and reading at Apolyton has DEGRADED my english (not really).

BTW there was a 4.5 richter earthquake in Athens an hour ago. Everyone is ok, no casualties, no damages. (in case someone has relatives or friends in Greece).

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro
            ottok!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ottok! Oh, God, where is ottok? He be the man.

connor has learned to spell " y'all " correctly.
              That has to count for something.
              Wait a minute. Hold the phone. Time out.
              That's an example of learning Texan.
              My mistake. Never mind
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by rev
                Giancarlo, what language do your parents speak at home? And didn't you used to live in SoCal?
                English and Spanish.

Southern California? That was three or four years ago. I used to live in Ecuador for two, and have lived in Buenos Aires for so far one.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                  I actually think that posting and reading at Apolyton has DEGRADED my english (not really).
                  Hey That's not funny - I think my English has been degraded too - I've picked up a bunch of American writing mannerisms. SEE! "a bunch"
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Hey That's not funny - I think my English has been degraded too - I've picked up a bunch of American writing mannerisms. SEE! "a bunch"
                    You'll be Americans some day. I think most people are barking up the wrong tree thinking that England will be the 51st state; it's clearly going to be Australia.

Another guaranteed election victory for Howard should see to that.
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

We are gonna Coca-colonize you. Put down that cupa tea. Stop being a Brit light...

Comment

Bah! We have the best of both the old and the new world. Why would we want to choose between them? This is a great country, you have no idea how good it is to live here.

Is it true if you aren't born in the United States you can't be President?
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Infatuation

You'll be Americans some day. I think most people are barking up the wrong tree thinking that England will be the 51st state; it's clearly going to be Australia.

Another guaranteed election victory for Howard should see to that.
                          Maybe the 52th, because Puerto Rico was set to become the 51st.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Maybe the 52th, because Puerto Rico was set to become the 51st.
                            Wouldn't Spain like to be the 51st?
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

ok guys, judge me....................
                              but be nice to me plz..........
                              I might commit suicide you know, and it will all be your fault, and you'll never get rid of that "I'm guilty" feeling anymore for the rest of your live !

(Ps. It would be great if someone would say something like: "I never noticed you 're from a non-english speaking country" )
                              (PPs. I KNOW THAT WON'T HAPPEN !!)
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I can safely say, having been a member of this forum for a fair while now (quietly observing rather than overtly posting, I'll admit) that the quality of english written here by non-native speakers is far better than a very large number of the native english speakers on a lot of the other forums I frequent.

It's a matter of shame IMO that the majority of the English (I won't speak for other anglophones) can't make themselves understood on even a basic level in any tongue bar their own.
                                ------------------
                                And our Eastern Comrades find out much too late,
                                That free men are free to subjugate.

Comment

Working...
                                X