X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18year old paddled at school

Jan 30, 11:09 AM EST

18-year-old student sues over paddling

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- When Jessica Serafin enrolled in a charter high school, her mother signed a form allowing administrators to paddle her as punishment.

But by the time a summer school principal paddled her last June, Serafin was already 18 and legally an adult.

Now she's suing the School of Excellence in Education, San Antonio's largest charter school, alleging it was wrong for the principal to paddle an adult student without her consent. She says the beating she received for leaving campus to get breakfast was so severe she had to go to the emergency room.

The lawsuit was filed Jan. 10 in state district court. Last week, a notice was filed to move it to federal court.

Advertisement

Although the lawsuit also alleges civil rights violations and negligence, a key element in the case is her age and the fact she didn't consent, her attorney said.

"This case is not about a crusade against corporal punishment," said Dan Hargove, her attorney. "It's not a crusade against charter schools. ... This case is about three adults holding down an adult female and beating her with a wooden paddle so bad that she ended up in the hospital."

The school's attorney, Jeff Gately, said the lawsuit "contains some blatant falsehoods."

Gately said he and several school officials investigated the girl's account and found it to be without merit.

The principal's attorney declined to comment, saying he didn't want to try the case in the media.

The School of Excellence in Education advocates an "old-school" approach to discipline. Uniforms must be tucked in, girls can wear only one pair of earrings, and boys must open doors and pull out chairs for their female peers. It is the only public school in Bexar County that paddles students.

Serafin says the summer school principal, who is a named defendant in the lawsuit, hit her three or four times. She said she tried to block one of the blows and the paddle "smashed her hand."

"I started screaming because I thought he had broke my hand," she said.

Serafin said she went to the hospital because she could hardly walk after school and her hand was severely swollen. Her hand was put in a cast at the emergency room.

State law allows parents to spank their minor children if the parent "reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare." But the law does not allow parents to use force on children who are 18 or older, Hargove said.

Hargove contends the school was acting on behalf of Serafin's parents, and therefore, shouldn't have been allowed to paddle an adult student.

But St. Mary's University law professor Gerald Reamey said another part of the law allows educators to use corporal punishment without age restrictions to "further the educational purpose or maintain discipline."

Attorney Philip Marzec, who represents local school districts, said it is difficult for a plaintiff to prevail against a school district in a paddling lawsuit because they generally are immune from allegations of negligence relating to corporal punishment.

But districts can be sued for civil rights violations, Marzec said. The plaintiff would have to show that a school policy or sanctioned practice led to the violation.

This incident is unbelievable. As parents if we spank our own kids we get charged with child abuse. I not so concerned with the sue aspect which i agree with, but more that the girl was 18 A legal adult shouldnt this be considered assault?
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

The question here is why the principal was not arrested for assault.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Another question is who are these people who need to have paddling rather than other forms of dicipline in order to maintain a good environment?

To me, even having the paddling issue is an obvious failure of this school.
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I support paddling. Although not for kids that old of course.

Comment

To show how paddling is such as alien concept to me, I thought this thread was going to be about how an 18 year old leaving school was still unable to swim anything but a doggy paddle. I was a bit confused as to why that would be a threadworthy topic, so I clicked the link.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Who was it that was telling me San Antonio is not a hick town?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I would say at 18 the pain of paddling is a non issue

Probably the humiliation is 100 times worse.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Who was it that was telling me San Antonio is not a hick town?
                  That would be me I dont consider this a hick town. The school is not a public one its a private charter school. But thats neither here nor there the girl in question was 18 a legal adult Her moms consent form should have been invalidated. Not to mention the paddler charged with assault.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

According to the article it is a public charter school.
                    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                      Another question is who are these people who need to have paddling rather than other forms of dicipline in order to maintain a good environment?

To me, even having the paddling issue is an obvious failure of this school.
                      It works, its expedient, and sometimes It is the only thing that works. There are just some ****ed up kids and yes I was one of them.

Comment

Its failure, pure and simple.

Comment

It is im sorry i put private. It is not regulated by any public school district rules. The public schools here dont allow corporal punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

It works, its expedient, and sometimes It is the only thing that works. There are just some ****ed up kids and yes I was one of them.
                            I agree with you if this school was part of the juvenille justice however this student just left a campus to get breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski

I agree with you if this school was part of the juvenille justice however this student just left a campus to get breakfast.
                              the school has no business engaging in this behavior, only parents. I was speaking on corporeal punishment in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X