The Movie Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... my turn?

What American composer had a minimum of 5 films named after his songs, or lyrics in his songs?

Hint: One of them starred Tom Cruise, another starred Timothy Bottoms, and two of them are Academy Award winners... one for Best Actor, the other for Best Director. There's an awful lot of shorts named after his works as well, as well as a movie by a famous rock act that uses a variant of yet another song title of his (I'm not counting any of these as one of the five, btw).
    Last edited by JohnT; December 17, 2004, 22:33.

Comment

Damn... apparently a question so tough that not even a frantic half-hours worth of Googling will get you the answer.

Comment

If y'all don't answer by 11:00pm EST, I'll give it up for ya.

Comment

Marvin Hamlisch?
          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I mean Henry Mancini.
            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Cole Porter?

Comment

Nope.

Time's up.

The answer is...

Spoiler:
                  George M. Cohan

(I put it in spoiler boxes in case anybody who thought they knew the answer wouldn't have it... spoiled. )

The movies:

Over There (1917).
                  Johnny Got His Gun (1971, the Timothy Bottoms movie, also inspired Metallica's One, plus was written by blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo (I think it was his first movie after his name was lifted from the list (but he wrote other films while blacklisted, but under pseudonyms)).
                  Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942, B. Actor Oscar to James Cagney).
                  Born on the Fourth of July (1989, Tom Cruise, B. Director winner Oliver Stone).
                  Give My Regards to Broadway (1948).

A number of shorts were based upon his songs, including "It's a Grand Old Flag", "Harrigan", and "Little Johnny Jones." The one that was a derivative of a song title of his was Paul McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street."

Comment

Two of the Best Picture nominees of 1939 were directed by the same person. Name the movies and the director.

Note: If you haven't seen either one of the two movies, you are not a movie buff. Period. I don't care what you say.

Comment

Gone With The Wind
                      Wizard of Oz.

But you have a technicality on director.
                      I can explain if you want but am not so inclined.

I also don't have a question to pose, so you can give another one.

By the way, Victor Fleming. The technicality was that he was one of 4 different directors of the WoO. But he was the one acredited for it.

I am a Wiz on the Wiz.

Here's a question, who was originally cast as The Tin man... and why did he have to give up the role to Jack Haley.

Also, who was the writer of the Original book, written in what year that led to The Wiz. and what was it called.

Comment

dp

Comment

Too many questions!

Buddy Ebson (Ebsen?). He gave it up 'cause he was allergic to the aluminum powder/makeup.

Frank Baum was the writer of the W. of Oz series. As to what year, I'm gonna take a guess and say... 1902? As to the title I haven't the slightest... "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"?

Also, Fleming wasn't the only director on GWTW either. IIRC, George Cukor also helped.
                          Last edited by JohnT; December 18, 2004, 02:19.

Comment

What was the last Black and White movie to win B. Picture prior to Schindler's List*?

* A number of people claim that SL wasn't a B&W film because of the red coat, and the final scene. Silly them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              Riiiight. But the bell tower scene takes place elsewhere. Santa Cruz? I can't remember.
                              The De Young Museum/Art Gallery (not my only reason for visiting there, but a good one nonetheless...).
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                                What was the last Black and White movie to win B. Picture prior to Schindler's List*?
                                Annie Hall ?

Originally going to be entitled Anhedonia, if I recall.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X