The Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    It's bad when the player's fluke year is an OPS+ of 93 .
    Don't get me wrong, he had a great year (for him) last year. but he's 35. Career BA: .274 And he can't hit lefties for anything.

I would take Cairo and the price differential in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Yeah, but a great year for him was 7% below the league average player . Oh well, I guess Steinny will pay for that .

Frankly, I'd give Matsui one more year to prove himself. If he can't do better than 88 OPS+, give it to Cairo.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• For a guy like Womack OBP is much much more important than SLG. I think he had 170 hits last year, which is a good number for his role, setting the table for Rolen, Pujols, Edmonds. He won't get that number this year, esp. facing different pitchers.

Comment

• A .349 OBP isn't that great for a 'table setter' either. It should be at .360, at least.

Especially when you consider that St. Louis' team OBP was .344
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• And Womack's never had an OBP that high before except in two "cup-of-coffee" seasons. His career mark is 30 points lower.
            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

• Womack is overrated. Hhis defense is suspect and he doesn't really stand up well when counted on as an everyday starter.

But he does have a decent head for the game, and the guy can run.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Womack blows. Cairo wasn't great, but he was cheap & I rather liked him. I wish the Yanks had kept him.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Cant believe none of our favorite Cubs fans want to share their thoughts on Sosa getting traded to Baltimore....

Less than a month till Spring training... I hope whoever you all root for have something more to look forward to this year than I do with the Phillies..

Comment

• Good deal for the Orioles. They don't have to pay him that much next year and give up Hairston, who was going to be back up next season, and two prospects who have not been named (meaning, probably not the top tier prospects).

That's going to be a scary good lineup, even with an aging Sosa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Good deal for the Orioles. They don't have to pay him that much next year and give up Hairston, who was going to be back up next season, and two prospects who have not been named (meaning, probably not the top tier prospects).

That's going to be a scary good lineup, even with an aging Sosa.
                      Even with an aging Sosa with shrinking girly-man muscles?

Comment

• Chicago fans are thrilled that we got more than a bag of balls for Sammy the Cancer.

We've lost about 80 HR and 200 RBI in 2 OF positions, so we're all waiting patiently for this to become official before we start agitating for the inevitable follow-up deal. Personally, I'm hoping Hendry will trade our entire minor league system for Aubrey Huff (assuming he'll sign an extension). The Rays can't afford him once he's a free agent after 2005.

I'd rather see the Cubs go with Hollingsworth and the rookie DuBois than sign Burnitz. Magglio would be great, but I doubt we can outbid the Tigers and Mets, as Boras has successfully weaved his web of deceit once again. (It's a shame, too, Mags is on the record saying he'd love to play at Wrigley.)
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                          Chicago fans are thrilled that we got more than a bag of balls for Sammy the Cancer.

We've lost about 80 HR and 200 RBI in 2 OF positions, so we're all waiting patiently for this to become official before we start agitating for the inevitable follow-up deal. Personally, I'm hoping Hendry will trade our entire minor league system for Aubrey Huff (assuming he'll sign an extension). The Rays can't afford him once he's a free agent after 2005.

I'd rather see the Cubs go with Hollingsworth and the rookie DuBois than sign Burnitz. Magglio would be great, but I doubt we can outbid the Tigers and Mets, as Boras has successfully weaved his web of deceit once again. (It's a shame, too, Mags is on the record saying he'd love to play at Wrigley.)

Burnitz sucks. Huff may be one of the most overlooked players in baseball. Definitely what the Cubs need. If the Cubs somehow could get Huff and Baez I think I would break into tears. I asked this on the Sosa thread, but what do you think it would take to get the? I was originally hoping they'd go for something like Dubois, Farns, Guzman, the 2 Orioles prospects, and Pinto, maybe Mitre. I have heard that TB's GM wants Zambrano though which obviously isn't happening.

Comment

• I think in the rush to get rid of Sosa, the Cubs may be hurting next year. It is no guarentee that they get Huff. Their lineup is now focused on Garciaparra and Ramirez; and the OF sucks badly outside of Patterson (if he can ever stay healthy).

Comment

• It starts with Huff. If he's amendable to signing an extension, it's worthwhile to pursue. The rumor is, the D-rays know they can't keep him once he's a free agent and are ready to move. But along with prospects, TB will need a quality major leaguer to convince their fans that they're trying to win.

But if he's a one-year rental, the Cub can only offer prospects, and TB will do better to keep him until July when there will be plenty of desperate teams.

Comment

• Exactly... and if the Cubs can't get Huff now, I don't think they get in sniffing distance of the playoffs. I'm sure the D-Rays are thinking the Yanks or BoSox may be interested in a 1B-OF with some pop during the penant race .

Comment

Working...
                                X