Bush: Pakistan is a Democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    The trouble with this emphasis on democracy and freedom is some countries would go for an Iran style theocracy if they had a really free vote.
    Exactly. Which is why pushing some states like Turkey to liberalize their election laws is just idiotic. We don't need more fundy states. There are somethings more important than democratizing everyone (there is my realpolitik side coming out... my neo-con side is ashamed ).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Is "Democracy but only if we agree with it" really democracy?

No.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Exactly. Which is why pushing some states like Turkey to liberalize their election laws is just idiotic. We don't need more fundy states. There are somethings more important than democratizing everyone (there is my realpolitik side coming out... my neo-con side is ashamed ).
        But then, still, Bush shouldn't claim Pakistan is a democracy just because he likes its govt.
        This is a result of the most stupid ideology that everything that one likes is democratic by definition and everything one doesn't is dictatorship.
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I still dont really understand people's objections to Bush making statements that are clearly untrue?

This is exactly the game plan of certain influencial parts of his inner cirlce. They have been saying as much for a while now. So just get over it - its not going to stop anytime soon.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Exactly. Which is why pushing some states like Turkey to liberalize their election laws is just idiotic. We don't need more fundy states. There are somethings more important than democratizing everyone...
            I'm amazed your votive bust of Reagan hasn't imploded.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              Too bad you can't see the difference between criticising a politician/saying he was a bad choice and claiming that the choice should be taken away from the public because you disagree with the result.

Hey, Imran, I like how you presume to tell us that you know what's good for Pakistan better than does the population of Pakistan.

Feel free to join the discussion when you manage to do so, little boy.

Comment

For those with a real interest in Pakistani and Saudi motivations vis a vis terrorism and democracy (as opposed to those who merely wish to continue mouthing their ignorant rants) I'd recommend watching a recent meeting "New America Foundation & NYU Law Center Panel on Al-Qaeda - Part 2". Its real media on C-span almost 8 hours of discussion on the subject by people who actually know something about this topic.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Too bad you can't see the difference between criticising a politician/saying he was a bad choice and claiming that the choice should be taken away from the public because you disagree with the result.

Hey, Imran, I like how you presume to tell us that you know what's good for Pakistan better than does the population of Pakistan.

Feel free to join the discussion when you manage to do so, little boy.

Read the post of Imran's that I was responding to, my little sweetheart.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I read the discussion. It doesn't mean your post wasn't idiotic. Imran clearly can say that he knows better than the Pakistani people what is good for Pakistan.

Comment

• Hmmm... starting to get a little personal... discuss the topic and NOT the posters.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        I read the discussion. It doesn't mean your post wasn't idiotic. Imran clearly can say that he knows better than the Pakistani people what is good for Pakistan.
                        Actually, it's your post that's idiotic. Your misinterpretation of my words by quoting them out of context is either deliberate misconstruction, plain stupidity or laziness.

Imran offered the prescription of ignoring the will of the majority when it suits him. I responded to this prescription, not the criticism he had of the previously democratically elected government of Pakistan.

So run along and play now.

EDIT: Ming, you are on far too much of a hair trigger. He's got a long way to go before he hurts my feelings.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          EDIT: Ming, you are on far too much of a hair trigger. He's got a long way to go before he hurts my feelings.
                          I frankly don't care about your feelings

But I do care about threads turning into mini flame wars as people attack each other instead of discussing the topic. While you may find it amusing, many others don't.

So discuss the topic... AND NOT THE POSTERS!
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Actually, it's your post that's idiotic. Your misinterpretation of my words by quoting them out of context is either deliberate misconstruction, plain stupidity or laziness.

I quoted your entire post.

Imran offered the prescription of ignoring the will of the majority when it suits him. I responded to this prescription, not the criticism he had of the previously democratically elected government of Pakistan.

That's not what you said and that wasn't your point, or if it was then you couldn't phrase it properly. Imran clearly can justifiably say that he knows better than the Pakistani people what's good for them. You didn't say "oh, you shouldn't be able to force people to do what you think is good for them". The only way to interpret your post to mean that is to assume that you can't actually compose a correct sentence in English.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I quoted your entire post.
                              And context extends for more than one post. You may use ellipsis across speakers.

As a selective quote in order to make a joke is was barely passable. As a serious criticism it was execrable.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming

I frankly don't care about your feelings

You mean you're telling KH that it's not ALL about him all the time?
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X