Chirac's winning ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirac's winning ways

Here Chirac goes again. Pissing on the US and trying to make Blair look like a Bush stooge. This guy would be muzzled, if he weren't the French president. What does he gain by being perpetually disagreeable? Emphasis added to the juicy parts.

US does not pay back favours, says Chirac

Blair got nothing for support of US in Iraq, says French president

Jon Henley and Amelia Gentleman in Paris and Michael White
    Tuesday November 16, 2004
    The Guardian

Tony Blair and Jacques Chirac clashed openly last night over the future course of Europe's relationship with the United States as the prime minister insisted they must work together for world peace and the French president suggested it is increasingly pointless.

Mr Chirac, speaking ahead of his state visit to London, said that Britain had gained nothing in return for supporting the US over Iraq and that he did not think "it is in the nature of our American friends today" to pay back favours.

"I'm not sure, the US being what it is today, whether it is possible for anyone, even the British, to play the role of the friendly go-between," he said.

The French president's words came in direct contradiction to Tony Blair, who insisted last night that Europe needed to work with America and could help shape its policies. Mr Blair used a keynote speech in the Guildhall in London to warn Europe to stop "ridiculing American arguments and parodying their political leadership" and to concentrate on persuading Washington that "terrorism won't be beaten by toughness alone".

But Mr Chirac said Britain's special relationship with the US had brought few dividends. "When the divergence of views between France and Britain was at its height, when the English wanted to follow the Americans and we didn't ... I said to Tony Blair, your position should at least serve another purpose," Mr Chirac said.

"You should obtain in exchange for it a new start for the peace process in the Middle East. Because that is vital. Well, Britain gave its support (on Iraq) - but I have not been impressed by the payback."

The clash occurs two days before Mr Chirac visits London to conclude months of celebrations to mark the centenary of the often-stormy Anglo-French entente cordiale.

Speaking coincidentally after the resignation was announced of Colin Powell - his frequent US ally in tactical battles for influence within the Bush administration - Mr Blair urged both sides to stop behaving "arrogantly" towards each other.

US policy was evolving fast, he suggested, and Europe should seize its chance to help shape its policies.

Mr Chirac insisted that profound differences between Paris and London over Iraq had not soured his relations with Mr Blair. [DanS note: Well, they were probably soured well before that.]

Asked if he would tell the prime minister that he had made a mistake in supporting the US, Mr Chirac said he would not, "firstly because I am polite, and secondly because I do not think he did".

He added in an interview with British correspondents at the Elysee palace: "Mr Blair took the position he thought he had to take in the interest of his country and his convictions.

"The only problem we have ever had was over agriculture, not Iraq. On Iraq, I respect his position. On agriculture one day I got angry, and he did too. We said some disagreeable things to each other at the end of a summit. But we have never crossed words on Iraq."

Mr Chirac denied the meeting between the two leaders would be acrimonious. "When I go to Britain I go happy, I have no desire to argue," he said.

"I arrive, I ask after Leo, someone goes to get Leo, Leo starts saying 'Bonjour Monsieur Chirac' in French, I'm happy, and there we are.

"It's very curious, this vision of permanent confrontation. I have no confrontation with the English in general, or with Blair in particular."

He described the Franco-British relationship as "built on competition, which implies mutual esteem ... It's a kind of violent love affair."
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

This constent argumentative attitude is all to common amoung French politicians. De Gual was famous for it as was Francois Meterand and I don't see it changing any time soon. It is part of France's bruised ego and their need to constently act up in order to get attention.

Can anyone really say Chirac did anything productive there? Blair seemed to me to be at least trying to improve the situation and to be reasonable while Chirac just kept throwning fecies like a howler monkey.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Mr Chirac, speaking ahead of his state visit to London, said that Britain had gained nothing in return for supporting the US over Iraq and that he did not think "it is in the nature of our American friends today" to pay back favours.
      From a Frenchman?

Maybe we think y'all still owe us for WWII and Vietnam.
      We'll call WWI payback for help during the American Revolution.

Comment

Chirac Someone has to talk reason to the fundamentalist americans

Blair Might have a point, difficult situation.

Bush Idiot
        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Despite how questionable his motives were, Chirac was right on Iraq. Don't try to hide your mistakes with Chirac-bashing.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
            From a Frenchman?

Maybe we think y'all still owe us for WWII and Vietnam.
            We'll call WWI payback for help during the American Revolution.
            Yeah, they should be held in debt because Germany declared war on you.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

If approval for the new EU constitution goes down in a ball of flames in the UK, at least we'll know why. Do y'all relish being told what to do by the likes of Chirac?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                If approval for the new EU constitution goes down in a ball of flames in the UK, at least we'll know why.
                Yep, tabloids and mad cow disease

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                  Chirac Someone has to talk reason to the fundamentalist americans
                  I just love how every American becomes a fundimentalist just because they aren't atheists.

It usually says something when someone choices to ignore logical arguments and instead just call people names.

Comment

oh yeah? Did I create this thread?

Dont you agree that Bush is a christian fundamentalist or at least act as one?

- Paul Valery

Comment

Dont you agree that Bush is a christian fundamentalist or at least act as one?
                      Good God. Give me a break. He's a methodist.

Comment

And? So what?

- Paul Valery

Comment

He's mainline prot, dude.

Comment

I'll agree that he's more religious then I'd like but a true fundimentalist would try to 1) institute religious teachings to everyone 2) outlaw things like evolution (I think one can be opposed to abortion without being religious or a fundimentalist) 3) want to force personal religious beliefs upon other people.

Just because a man says he believes in god and makes refrences to god does not make him a fundimentalist and people look foolish when they try to say it does.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              He's mainline prot, dude.
                              So you admit that majority of americans are fundies?

PWNED

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                              X