Screw the IRS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

people making over $200,000 a year should have to pay a 75% tax rate

Those making less than $30,000 should not have to pay any taxes.

Comment

i don't know all of the details, but i don't think he has many stocks or bonds, or anything like that. he doesn't owe back taxes, and he doesn't get many deductions either. He works for a company that does contract labor for oil companies. They pay all of his expenses, so i don't think he could claim many deductions...my younger sister is married, and i'm no longer a dependant.
      Last edited by Kaak; November 7, 2004, 21:36.
      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

he has many stocks or bongs
        That probably explains it.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Boohoo... your dad makes more so has to pay more in taxes... come on! What a silly thing to try to feel victimized by.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
              He works for a company that does contract labor for oil companies. They pay all of his expenses...
              What could be happening is that he is either not paying any withholding or he is what is termed as an independent contractor. In either case he is not paying his taxes "pay as you go" but rather in one lump sum at the end of the year. This could be the huge tax liability you're describing.

Or, he's paying self employment taxes, which could bump things up.

Or, he could, and this is rare even now-a-days (more so for someone making under 100K), be paying AMT tax. The alternative minimum tax is also called "bending over and taking it in the ass". The AMT was created during the 60's and is an alternate tax for specifically "rich people" who paid an incredibly low tax due to loopholes at the time. Unfortunately for these so called "rich people", the AMT income levels have never been adjusted and the regular tax loopholes have long since been closed.

While the federal income tax code is an incredibly complex monster it is also and incredibly complex foundation to governmental social programs. Wiping away the old code and installing a flat tax could leave the government with a pandora's box on their hands.

So yeah, you're dad is probably being screwed, so I suggest he seek some help from a good CPA that specializes in taxes. There a bunch of nice incentives that will help lower his taxes and keep his wealth safe, just as long as he adheres to the rules.

Comment

We at the CPA are always good, and are very interested in taxes
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  We at the CPA are always good, and are very interested in taxes
                  doofus

Comment

nope, they take it out of his paycheck every two weeks. He isn't an independant contractor.
                    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Then it's not possible they're taking out 40% in income taxes. If he has stock options, he might be getting screwed on the AMT, as HT mentioned.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Boohoo... your dad makes more so has to pay more in taxes... come on! What a silly thing to try to feel victimized by.
                        I'm sorry I ever doubted your conservatism. Bush would be proud.

Comment

Do you ever make a comment that isn't an insult to someone? Even Fez and Dornon were occassionally nice to people, even people with whom they disagree.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                            Kaak, some people don't understand the concept of fairness. They think that "fair" means everyone paying what the government thinks they can afford, rather than paying an equal percentage. Obviously, they misunderstand the meaning of fairness, but we aren't likely to convince them otherwise.
                            This coming from the person who thinks that personal ownership of nuclear weopons should be legal
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Luckily for us these people are in the minority and they always will be as long as people who live in the real world exist.

I'm sorry, when exactly did the US tax system switch to a flat tax? Who is the minority?

Imran? Imran? Are you ill?

Nope, I'm fine. You'll find the VAST majority of Republicans are against a flat tax because they realize the unfairness of it all. This is why that even though Bush has had a Republican Congress since 2002, a flax tax hasn't even passed through committee and has no chance in Hell of passing. For all of ML's bluster, he simply can't wrap his head around the fact that most conservatives and Republicans don't want a flat tax and it is only the extremists who do. After all, neither Ronald Reagan nor George W. Bush has called for a flat tax... EVER.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But... But, I mean... You actually care about unfairness? You have thoughts about the hardships endured by poor people ?

And you're not even blathering that it's their fault, they brought it to themselves, and they deserve their painful fate?

What kind of American are you! Pinko Commie traitor!
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X