No announcement yet.

Screw the IRS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, my middle class life has a lot of practice making excuses. Excuse me for seeing my fellow man and having a heart . What's your solution? Let them starve? Screw teaching them any valuable skills, let them be gardeners for your dad who gets to keep more of his money, right?

Oh yeah, lower end kids can really get a lot of grants for school. Only if they can get into the school that gives the grants in the first place. What are the percentages in school systems which recieve diddly squat because property taxes are minimum because everyone makes $20,000?

But that's ok... your dad needs to keep 30% more of his money. Screw the poor, right?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

most universities give grants for poorer families...
      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

and besides, if my dad got to keep more of his money, he could pay the gardener more
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Anyone who employs a gardener or other household staff should not complain about not keeping enough of their money.
          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

that was a joke, we have no gardener....geeez

Comment

Kaak, some people don't understand the concept of fairness. They think that "fair" means everyone paying what the government thinks they can afford, rather than paying an equal percentage. Obviously, they misunderstand the meaning of fairness, but we aren't likely to convince them otherwise.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

If a flat tax was introduced many of those with the "Why should I pay a higher rate?" reasoning will start on the "Why should I pay more?" reasoning and demand a flat poll tax. Final objective of course, "Why should I pay anything?".
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I don't know why I'm wading into this; I guess it's Sunday night and I'm bored. so here'a a question; I don't have any particular opinion, I'm just curious.

Let's assume the government shouldn't tax you for providing life's necessities -- food, clothing, shelter. Let's further assume that the allowance for these things should be somewhere above poverty level, because the government has a vested interest in helping people enter the middle class.

Okay, so how much money do you need to feed, clothe, and shelter yourself according to middle-class standards. $25,000? And if you had a kid, how much more would you need? $10,000?

Okay, so here's the proposal: Flat tax, say 15%, but with a standard deduction of $25,000 for each adult in the family and $10,000 for each kid in the family. A family of four wouldn't pay a dime of tax until they had an income > $70,000. A family of four making $500,000/year would pay $64,500.

Would that work?
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Tax is pretty much structured (rates are different though) like that already, in effective terms that is.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yeah, I know, but everybody has to play the deduction game every year to get it there. I'm just wondering if you could make it that simple and still have a sound tax system that was nevertheless just.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                        Kaak, some people don't understand the concept of fairness. They think that "fair" means everyone paying what the government thinks they can afford, rather than paying an equal percentage. Obviously, they misunderstand the meaning of fairness, but we aren't likely to convince them otherwise.
                        Only problem, life is not fair, and no one gives a **** about it.

Don't talk about fiarness liberterian, cause real fairness would be everyone paying the same percentage on the same earnings. And we all know you don;t want that- so you have already forsaken fairness.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Only problem, life is not fair, and no one gives a **** about it.

Don't talk about fiarness liberterian, cause real fairness would be everyone paying the same percentage on the same earnings. And we all know you don;t want that- so you have already forsaken fairness.
                          Only if everyone produces the same value in output
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Only if output is fairly valued

Having the job I do, I have seen what wanting fairness out of a world that most certainly is not (its not unfair either-its random, makinbg the question moot), and its not pretty.

That if anything is the great arguement vs. "natural rights"- the world has no moral principles, only physical laws. Something like a "right" can never be "natural".

That being said, to progrssive taxation
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The key to a "fair" flat tax is an initial exemption amount. The first $40K or $50K in income should be TAX FREE and any amount above that should be taxed at a rate that would fully fund the budget. In other words, every October when they set the next years budget, they wuld also be setting the next years tax rate. The exemption amount should also be subject to COLA every year to keep the real Tax free wages consistent.

Fair: Yes
                              Protects the poor: Yes
                              Balances the Budget: Yes

Tell me where I am wrong folks!
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

In that case, Social Security must be eliminated. In its present form it is the most regressive tax there is.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X