Screw the IRS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat tax simplification is a myth.
    The vast majority of the IRS code is devoted to defining what is and what is not earned income. This will not change under a flat tax. Most of the work that IRS does is devoted to keeping track of earned income. This will not change under a flat tax.

Under Plato's system the poor will pay about the same amount in taxes that they pay now (pretty much 0).
    There will be a certain segment of the middle class (the lower portion, but not sure where it tops out) that will pay more in taxes than they pay now.
    Everyone else will pay less in taxes than they pay now.

Is this what you really want? Just like the majority of voting Americans wanted Bush, the majority of voting Americans do not want this.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
      In that case, Social Security must be eliminated. In its present form it is the most regressive tax there is.
      At the same time, everyone who pays into it in teory draws the same benefit from it, unlike the general budget, where this is not true.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

what exactly do you mean by same benefit? people get different SS benefits depending upon their SS income during the top 10 quarters of their life.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

What does social security pay for?
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And don;t the people who earned more pay higher payroll taxes, thus in the end making the correlation between what you paid in and what you will get roughtly the same amongst different income brackets coming in at the same time into the system?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              What does social security pay for?
              Social Security is what we call the public pension system. Tough the government also pays out of that ssytem for disability pensions for those that had been working. If you recieve any other type of public pension, you do not get Social Security, thought people who get private pensions still can get Social security.

Comment

I only ask as the equivalent input payments here for National Insurance are just another form of taxation with no direct funding correlation to output payments.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Social security pays a small benefit to old and disabled people because they are old and or disabled.

Gepap,
                  If your claim is that SS provides the same proportional benefits based upon what you paid in, then I don't see why you think this is not the case with the general fund. Don't you think that rich people who pay more into the general fund benefit more from the general fund than poor people who pay less?

Comment

Under Plato's system the poor will pay about the same amount in taxes that they pay now (pretty much 0).
                    There will be a certain segment of the middle class (the lower portion, but not sure where it tops out) that will pay more in taxes than they pay now.
                    Everyone else will pay less in taxes than they pay now.
                    The $50K limit is just arbitrary. It could be $75K or whatever number causes that lower middle class tax burden to be level or decreased.

You are VERY correct thoughin insinuating that the definitions of earned income need some serious looks.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Social security pays a small benefit to old and disabled people because they are old and or disabled.

Gepap,
                      If your claim is that SS provides the same proportional benefits based upon what you paid in, then I don't see why you think this is not the case with the general fund. Don't you think that rich people who pay more into the general fund benefit more from the general fund than poor people who pay less?
                      Yes, the rich people who pay more into the general fund do benefit more, hence it is right that they pay more, thus, keep our progresive tax structure and say no to a flat tax.

Comment

Glad I could help you keep on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                          Yeah, I know, but everybody has to play the deduction game every year to get it there. I'm just wondering if you could make it that simple and still have a sound tax system that was nevertheless just.
                          It's already pretty simple, unless you have a business.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
                            So it's fair for him to have to pay $70k in taxes a year, and you to pay $3680?
                            Yes. He benefits disproportiontely more from our government protections. It's a geometric progretion, not an arithmatic one.

Now, if the actual amount your father pays is $70K a year in income taxes he's making $265,000 a year, not counting for deductions. Add in deductions, exemptions, etc. and with that specific number on taxes, he's probably making close to $300K a year. So, in actuality, your father only paid 23% of his income in income taxes.

That's assuming you didn't simply multiply $175K * 40% to come up with the $70K number. If your father made $175K, then he paid $39K in income taxes, not accounting for deductions and what not. Add those in and he paid around $31K in incomes taxes, which is around 18%.

So stop whining.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Don't talk about fiarness liberterian, cause real fairness would be everyone paying the same percentage on the same earnings.
                              Why? What do earnings have to do with anything? Earnings simply represent a private agreement between two parties, and have nothing to do with the government.
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                                Earnings simply represent a private agreement between two parties, and have nothing to do with the government.
                                We're talking about fairness, not the government.

Comment

Working...
                                X