Convince me to vote for Kerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ned

Re: History. I think you are quite wrong about when the "worst" happened. Most of the Indians lived East of the Mississippi when Europeans first arrived. In 1830, there were still Indian wars occurring on the Eastern side of the Mississippi. Abe Lincoln was in one of them.

Regardless, the account was written by a Frenchman who had nothing to defend. Also, the French (as did the Spanish) did not think the Indians as subhuman. They thought of them as people to be converted to Christianity and with whom they could intermarry. So I would suggest to you that the account is unbiased and accurate.

Yeah, Aptos High is an excellent school in music and in football. My daughter was in the band and went on to play the flute in the local orchestra and in the Carleton College orchestra as well.
    Ned,
    I usually like to justify my statements but you are so wrong. Not 100 % wrong. You do have some facts interlaced with your mistruths and denials.
    I wish that you could step outside your box and judge things fairly.
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

• True, the French fur-trappers did intermarry with the Indians. However, the whites rarely paid for the land from the natives. The Quakers were the only group that were good about this. The Native Americans didn't have that much use for money, and it wouldn't be worth it to get money for moving from their land. This is because a) they wouldn't have anywhere to go, the west was occupied by other tribes, b) money wasn't really that important to them, and c) any tribalistic society becomes identified with the land they live in. To them, their land was God. It wouldn't be something they'd just walk away from.

What really happened was the US claimed all of the land, and when the natives tried to stop white settlers from coming in they were defeated and moved further west. But IMO the worst of the genocide was when the white men murdered all of the buffalo on the plains and destroyed the native way of life, then forced them onto reservations and tried to 'civilize' them through schooling.
      "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Working...
      X