• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthur - you NEVER hear anyone speak ill of him
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I was curious about the "worst presidents" and I did a search on google

"worst president"

First hit? Take a look... (btw: no word match on "worst" on this web page, which leads me to believe the executives of google inc. will be voting for Kerry.
      Attached Files
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
        Well, Kerry and Hoover have the same economic policies: balancing the budget during a recession; raising trade barriers, etc.
        I think there is truth to that, although I'm not that familiar with Kerry's, but I think they are much less supply-side.

Anyway, Kerry might not even get elected, so he doesn't count.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
          Well, Kerry and Hoover have the same economic policies: balancing the budget during a recession . . .
          Psst The recession has been over for some time now . . .
          . . . raising trade barriers, etc.
          Kerry wants to raise trade barriers?? Are you referring to his plan to rescind tax-break incentives to send American jobs overseas?

Hoover was a champion of supply-side economics, like Bush -- that is, direct enough money into the hands of the wealthy, and they will create jobs for the middle class. It didn't work for Hoover and it isn't working for Bush

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

"worst president"
            Although I loath Bush, this is not really a fair test. Lots of people always think the current incumbant is the worst U.S. President in history. I still remember this exchange:

News Reporter: Mr. President, the convention of Republican governors just voted you the worst President in U.S history.

President Kennedy: I assume the vote was unanimous.

Comment

Did Hayes or Van Buren ever do anything? You never hear him mentioned...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

David Floyd:
                Yes I was referring to National Unity. Comparing it to the American Revolution is a stretch, since colonies are in far a different position, then the American south was.

Hmm does anyone know the 'legal' justification that France used to support the Revolution, beyond their hatred for Great Britain.

- for teddy: he pretty much gave japan a blank check to go ahead and annex korea.

He also won a Nobel prize in the process. Teddy did hold a dim view of Korea, he considered them a weak nation who had the gall to call themselves an empire. He was more concerned with insuring peace between Russia and Japan while maintaining an Open Door policy in China. I don't think he considered anything else of consequence.

Compelling negatives against Teddy
                - Cover up of torture and genocide in the Philipines.
                - Dishonorably discharging an entire black regiment on next to no proof, denying all of them due process, and refusing to delay his decision, despite mild protests from Taft, and later vehement protest from Sen. Foraker.
                - Possible use of the Secret Service to spy on the Senate, not that they didn't deserve it.
                Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

As soon as the war was over, the economy slumped. If the Korean Civil War hadn't started, the GD might have returned.
                  The occupation of Europe, the beginning of the cold war, the nuclear arms race and the Marshall plan helped you spend your excess production inbetween.
                  "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                  George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

"worst president"

First hit? Take a look... (btw: no word match on "worst" on this web page, which leads me to believe the executives of google inc. will be voting for Kerry.
                    Yea, there are a few things that work that way with Bush. Bush opponents (lord knows there are enough of them) smartly took advantage of the way Google ranks pages, and made lots and lots of links to his profile, calling him the worst President ever.

I'm sure there have been several threads on it here, and its been in the news.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

you do realize that google doesn't usually tamper with their search results, and the reason why bush appears as worst president is mostly because of the number of links and words describing bush as the worst president are enormously high, don't you?

sounds like yet another person who fears google for no reason at all, and doesn't even know how the bots work.
                      B♭3

Comment

He also won a Nobel prize in the process. Teddy did hold a dim view of Korea, he considered them a weak nation who had the gall to call themselves an empire. He was more concerned with insuring peace between Russia and Japan while maintaining an Open Door policy in China. I don't think he considered anything else of consequence.

if korea hadn't been occupied, odds are that it wouldn't have been divided, and we wouldn't have a stalinist nkorea.
                        B♭3

Comment

He also won a Nobel prize in the process. Teddy did hold a dim view of Korea, he considered them a weak nation who had the gall to call themselves an empire.
                          Actually, Japan forced them to call themselves an Empire. The Korean/Chinese word for king "Wong" implies a subservient relationship to the Chinese Emperor, which was Korea's traditional diplomatic stance. Japan wanted to break that, so they strong-armed Korea into calling itself an Empire in order to symbolically break its long-standing alliance with China.
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                            Bottom feeders:

1. van Buren
                            2. Hoover
                            3. Carter
                            4. Grant
                            5. Ford
                            Ford? I mean, he was ineffectual, but a "bottom feeder?" If so, how can you rationalize not having Nixon on the list, since Ford's greatest crime was pardoning that evil sleazebag?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Pierre Trudeau
                              Lester Pearson
                              John Diefenbaker
                              Diefenbaker?

/me faints.

1. Diefenbaker
                              2. Mulroney
                              3. Pearson
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Benjamin Franklin.

Comment

Working...
                                X