Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More people murdered in Chicago than all of Canada last year

Canada's Murder Rate Fell to Lowest in Three Decades in 2003

Sept. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Canada's homicide rate fell to a three-decade low last year, as fewer people were murdered in the entire country than in Chicago alone.

Police recorded 548 murders, or 1.73 for every of 100,000 Canada's 31.6 million inhabitants, down from 582, or a rate of 1.86, in 2002, Statistics Canada said in Ottawa. Chicago, with a population of 2.87 million, had 598 murders in 2003, according to U.S. Department of Justice data.

Canada's decline contrasts with murder trends in the U.S., where the number of reported homicides has risen for the past three years. The U.S. homicide rate was 5.69 in 2003, more than three times Canada's.

About half of Canada's decline in homicide rate can be explained by demographic changes that caused the share of young men in the population to fall, said Neil Boyd, a professor of criminology at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. The rest is harder to explain and could be related to cultural changes, he said.

The number of homicides against children fell to its lowest in more than 25 years, at 33, and 50 fewer women were murdered than the year before. Gang-related murders almost doubled to 84, up from 45. A change in the way Toronto's police force counts homicides explains the increase in gang-related murders, the Ottawa-based agency said.

Global Trends

Canada's declining homicide rate dovetails the international trend observed in most industrialized countries since the early 1990s. In Canada, the homicide rate has been falling since the mid- 1970s after climbing to three murders for every 100,000 Canadians. In the U.S., it fell after 1991, when it touched 9.8 per 100,000, before stabilizing in the early 2000s at about 5.6 to 5.7.

Canada's homicide rate was similar to those in France, the U.K. and Australia. Japan and Scotland have the world's lowest homicide rates, with 0.51 murders per 100,000 and 0.64 per 100,000 respectively.

More than a third of victims in Canada were killed by a family member and 19 percent were killed by a spouse or a former spouse. A fifth of victims were killed by casual acquaintances and 14 percent were murdered by partners in crime.

Two-thirds of murderers have a criminal record, and a majority of them have committed a violent offense before, StatsCan said. More than half of victims also had a criminal record.

Firearms were the weapons of choice for most murderers in 2003, as 29 percent of homicides involved a shooting, compared with 26 percent for stabbings and 22 percent for beatings. In 2002, knives were chosen by 31 percent of killers in Canada against 26 percent for firearms.

The Maritime provinces enjoy the lowest homicide rates in Canada, and Prince Edward Island is the least murderous province with a rate of 0.73 homicide per 100,000. The Prairies have the highest rates among provinces, and Saskatchewan is the most dangerous province, with a rate of 4.12 murders for every 100,000 inhabitants.
    Interesting...
    More info: http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040929/d040929a.htm
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

And that's just those ordered by Mayor Daley .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Chicago had almost 600 murders in one year? Daaamn.. that's A LOT!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Those crazy Americans and their guns

But remember - gun control wouldn't help at all
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

note to self, never move to Chicago. Too much action, even if it's in the bad neighbourhood.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Chicago
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              Those crazy Americans and their guns

But remember - gun control wouldn't help at all
              Actually that's the interesting thing.

The UK has way more gun control laws than Canada with a comparable murder rate, and Canada's gun control laws aren't that much more strict than the US'...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

i think it's mostly the westerner/white devil thing.

you don't see this problem of high murders in korea and japan...

BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE WHITE MAN!!! RAR!!!
                B♭3

Comment

we have lots of guns too but we have a very low murder rate

Crazy Americans.......John Wayne has a lot to answer for.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    i think it's mostly the westerner/white devil thing.

you don't see this problem of high murders in korea and japan...

BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE WHITE MAN!!! RAR!!!
                    Canada's murder rate is by far the highest in Nunavut (at > 10 per 100,000), and the population there is most definitely NOT a white majority.

Comment

Crazy Americans.......John Wayne has a lot to answer for.

Leave The Duke out of this .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's because the Evil White Man introduced alcohol to the Eskimoes.
                        CSPA

Comment

Eskimoes drank their pee to get high even before alcohol.. I mean, they couldn't get high from it, but come on you have to be pretty high to drink your own piss and think you can get high from it, placebo high. Maybe it's all the raw meat they eat.

Anyway, everyone knows, that Americans have a big problem with violence and crime because of fat. Hamburgers and fat. What is the fattest country in the world? And you think it's just a coincidence? Oh now it isn't.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Murders less people

Comment

Canada's murder rate is by far the highest in Nunavut (at > 10 per 100,000), and the population there is most definitely NOT a white majority.

HUSH YOU!

murder is a white thing. it always has and always will be. kinda like chopsticks being a chinese thing.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X