Iraq is NOT a quagmire!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap
    Finally, do you honestly think AQ can be "defeated" with the force of arms, or within the next 20 years?
    Absolutely yes.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

. I was saying that we need to persevere in Iraq despite our losses just as we persevered in WW2 despire our losses there. We did not cut and run in WW2. We should not cut and run in Iraq either.
      Lets see WW2 began for the US when a nation-state openly attacked. The US faced high losses at points in the war but generally were advancing and winning. They never faced the war/not war situation that US troops face in Iraq.

Personally I don't advocate the US cutting and running. While I question if the Iraq war was a smart move, the US has to deal with the current reality. THat reality MUST be at least an attempt to leave a stable country behind. My problem is I don't realistically see how that will be accomplished.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
        If you have such greater backing for your position, you ought not to need insults to make your point, especially when they were being civil, as Diplomat was. But you respond to him with content such as:
        This of course is an illogical statment-civility and having better information are unrelated issues-that is one of style

That's an unprovoked ad hominem attack, and you show yourself to be an uncivil person by using it.
        I am selectively civil.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Absolutely yes.
          Lets break that down: By force of arms OR within the next 20 years.

I would say no to either of those, but certainly one is more plausible than the other.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Iraq is NOT a quagmire!!!

In my opinion, the means you use to resist occupation determines if you are a terrorist. If you bomb a military intallation, you are not a terrorist. When you take a school hostage like the Chechen terrorists did in Russia, then you are a terrorists. When you take some civilian worker or missionary hostage and slice his head off, you are a terrorist.

Zarqawi has ties to Al Queda. There have been several reports of high ranking Iraqi intelligence officers and Al Queda members meeting in Baghdad prior to the war. We know terrorists were practicising highjacking airplanes at Salman Pak in nothern Iraq. We know Saddam was funding Palestinian suicide bombers. We know Saddam had WMD before Gulf War I, and the UN never fully accounted that all were destroyed. We know Saddam built missiles that exceeded the allowed range as detailed in 1991 Cease fire.

It is simply not possible to say that Iraq is not part of the war on terror. Saddam clearly played a role in terrorism eventhough he was not responsible for 9-11.
            1. The Coalition has killed and maimed many innocents in the war in Iraq. Coalition forces have also been responsible for torture. By your logic that would make the Coalition terrorists. Not too mention the fact that the legality of the war in Iraq is being questioned.

2. What decision making position in the Iraqi government did Zarqawi and the other Iraqi's you are referring to occupy prior to the war. President? Vice-President?

3. AQ members met in several countries. They have members of many nationalities. A war against AQ is a war against AQ. Why are we not taking over S. Arabia since OBL is SA.

4. Palestinian suicide bombers do not constitute a direct threat to the security of the U.S. since they generally confine themselves to the areas they are fighting for. Also, why attack Iraq and not Isreal since they spy on us, compromising our security.

5. No WMD's found!! No missiles that can reach the East Coast, West Coast or Hawaii. IE NO THREAT.

6. I agree that the current Iraq is apart of the war on terror because we have made enemies of the Iraqi people. What does a weaker force do when facing overwhelming firepower. They resort to unconventional warfare to balance the equation.
            What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
            What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Iraq is NOT a quagmire!!!

Originally posted by Pax

1. The Coalition has killed and maimed many innocents in the war in Iraq. Coalition forces have also been responsible for torture. By your logic that would make the Coalition terrorists. Not too mention the fact that the legality of the war in Iraq is being questioned.
              I think his logic for discriminating terrorists from other kinds of combatants is sound. Remember those who took part in torture are going to be jailed for it. If torture were SOP there would be no punishment. Just because the torturers are terrorists doesn't mean that all the rest of the coalition, such as those who are testifying against and jailing the torturers are themselves terrorists as well. That doesn't make any sense. Also, if the terrorists attacked our military and civilian bystanders were injured I don't think it's clear that he would regard them as terrorists in that case, so again, his logic seems to allow for the exclusion of the coalition as a terrorist group.

Originally posted by Pax
              2. What decision making position in the Iraqi government did Zarqawi and the other Iraqi's you are referring to occupy prior to the war. President? Vice-President?

3. AQ members met in several countries. They have members of many nationalities. A war against AQ is a war against AQ. Why are we not taking over S. Arabia since OBL is SA.

4. Palestinian suicide bombers do not constitute a direct threat to the security of the U.S. since they generally confine themselves to the areas they are fighting for. Also, why attack Iraq and not Isreal since they spy on us, compromising our security.

5. No WMD's found!! No missiles that can reach the East Coast, West Coast or Hawaii. IE NO THREAT.

6. I agree that the current Iraq is apart of the war on terror because we have made enemies of the Iraqi people. What does a weaker force do when facing overwhelming firepower. They resort to unconventional warfare to balance the equation.
              I more or less agree with the points in the rest of your post except 6. Unconventional warfare is excusable but it doesn't mean that targeted attacks on non combatant and grossly non military targets could possibly be justified. Those actions don't even facilitate the ejection of the occupiers. They are clearly just acts of spite and calculated terror. If you are going to condemn the administration for needless violence you should not endeavor to excuse the terrorists for doing the same.

Comment

this thread is hilarious
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Iraq is NOT a quagmire!!!

Originally posted by Pax
                  When Coalition forces kill and maim innocents, it is accidental. When terrorists kill innocents, it's deliberate. Big difference.

So unless someone is vice president or president, their ties to terrorism don't count?

And we look at the roles those countries may have in harboring or aiding AQ.

There is a thing called a "regional threat". Just because the Palestinian bombers don't do their attacks in the US, does not mean that they are not a threat to US interests. Their attacks in Israel affect US interests indirectly because the US needs a stable middle east.

Again, regional threat. Iraq had missiles that could target Israel and Iraq's neighbors. That is a serious concern to the US.

The truth is that most Iraqis are not involved in the violence against US troops. That is another reason why Iraq is not a quagmire. The violence is caused by a small group of insurgents, Baathists and foreign terrorists.
                  'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                  G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

When Coalition forces kill and maim innocents, it is accidental. When terrorists kill innocents, it's deliberate. Big difference.
                    You and I can make that distinction. I actually agree there is one. However, it seems that the majority of Iraqis don't see it that way. Is their view simplistic & irrational? Maybe. But that doesn't make it easier for us to change, does it?

The issue at hand is whether or not Iraq is a "quagmire" (translation: is it Vietnam yet?). The relative morality of Coalition-inflicted "collateral damage" and militant/terrorist execution of hostages is not particularly relevant to that question, is it?

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by MalevolentLight
                      I probably have a higher IQ than most the people on this board, but I don't use it as an arguing point...
                      A good thing, since the quality of your posts indicates your intelligence falls somewhere between Fez and a grapefruit.
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                        "Are we willing to die for freedom?"

Personally? No.
                        This is quite understandable, since you are on the other side.
                        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                          Could it be that one of the reasons so many question this war, is because Bush and the advisors in his administration cannot even admit that there are serious problems in Iraq that they need to address?
                          Not in an election year. OTOH, I'm sure Kerry is more than willing to do so except if he was the incumbant come 2008.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'd rather live for freedom.

(And women, liquor and song)
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                              I'd rather live for freedom.

(And women, liquor and song)
                              living for Freedom!

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Not in an election year. OTOH, I'm sure Kerry is more than willing to do so except if he was the incumbant come 2008.
                                So the Bush administration will let more Americans get their heads sawed off because it's election year?
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X