Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rallying Point: Liberty Island - Refugees from Kidatopia, report!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope...no cars, but we can *maybe* get a small genny if we disassemble it first...or if we can't keep the boat anyway, maybe we can strip it down?

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

good list, Flub....I'd say on principle that we'll need that list for every...eh...seven to ten people who come this way. If we can get one in ten people to bring those things, we'll be well-stocked where tools and basic supplies are concerned.

That, coupled with the native sources we can find (vines for rope, trees for building materials), and we should be able to set up stock yards (if there are native animals to domesticate), and basic housing, plus have a goodish supply in reserve.

Another posting needed then....Quartermaster's office to handle our supplies until we move away from ad hoc....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

dont count on domesticated animals - there are very few in the world, and none on these small islands.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Hmmm...LoA...any ideas how many chickens/roosters we'd need to bring in order to start up a little shake and bake farm then? That'd be more difficult to arrange, but vital, if we could arrange it. Prolly coulnd't do anything BUT chickens (everything else would be too big)....but if we could get enough so that it's sustainable with net growth.....

And I like the idea 'bout the fishing plots....will need to wait until we move away from ad hoc for that, but it's a good long term aim, for sure.

-=Vel=-

Comment

I also don't think Ludd would enjoy using animals that way

he might let them escape or something

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmmm...LoA...any ideas how many chickens/roosters we'd need to bring in order to start up a little shake and bake farm then? That'd be more difficult to arrange, but vital, if we could arrange it. Prolly coulnd't do anything BUT chickens (everything else would be too big)....but if we could get enough so that it's sustainable with net growth.....
              for fresh eggs, you wouldnt need many chickens/roosters, since you figure you will keep them for a long time (their entire life span) and you wont need to worry about cross-breeding families etc. for meat, youd need a steady flow to make sure they dont inbreed too much etc.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Also, even assuming that we are able to get the lights turned on, I think it's a safe assumption that we'll not be generating what I'd call "a significant amount" of electricity, so it'd have to be used, at least initially, for critical stuff only (to access CD's from the library of scanned books, to power whatever machines we can cobble together to make additional tools, etc). Everything else will have to wait till we can expand our supply of electricity.

LOL...JM...

-=Vel=-

Comment

Well, let's assume then that IF we get any chickens, we'll not have a sufficient number to actually eat them. Eggs, yep...prolly not many...it'd be a luxury, but we'd have a few. Still, might be worth doing. The diet won't be exciting folks, but hey....we won't have the Central Planning Committee glaring at us...

-=Vel=-

Comment

it would be easier and better to just grow soybeans for protein

and healthier

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

ok i remember how the turbine works - the driveshaft spins a copper wire inside a magnetic field, which creates electricity. now how do we make a magnetic field? i wish i paid attention in physics class

Comment

hmm...and easier to get to the island too.

With space at a premium...yep, let's forego chickens then.

There goes a bit of the variety in our diet, but....given that we're kicked out of the homeland and starting over...we'll do variety later...

-=Vel=-

Comment

No idea, LoA..but I'll bet Google knows....we'll use it while we got it...

-=Vel=-

Comment

I'll be in charge of the agriculture as long as someone gets me some sheep, too.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

In general, I propose that we create the following motion, and let our first elected President decide if or when to enact:

Initially, we must all band together in a singular location for ease of logistics, but THE MOMENT we move beyond self-sufficiency, I propose that we split the settlement (numbers permitting...at this point, I have no idea how many people we'll ultimately have...with the numbers at present, it's not possible), divide our resources and get two settlements up and running with all speed.

Not only does this *force* us to race toward developing the island, but it also gets all our eggs out of one basket. If something tragic were to happen (fire, flood, anything), then having two locations up and running would provide a measure of protection against that.

-=Vel=-

Comment

Ludd....not sure we can smuggle any, but if you put in a request to the Scrounger, mayhaps we can win a few in some lucky hands of poker....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Working...
                                X