No announcement yet.

High School Standings, where were you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small & dumb might get picked on too, I guess, but I think the smart kids bring out more viciousness in the bullies (jealousy?). It seemed to me, when I was in HS, that class participation + good grades (so being smart and actually trying in school, or being unsuccessful in hiding those things) were the Cardinal sins.

I made the mistake of actually talking in class. You know, when the teacher asked a question? I would eventually get tired of the silence and answer it. Every once and a while, I would *gasp* ask a question! This, of course, was interpretted as me sucking up to the teachers.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Popular, at least Senior year. Had a good time. We had a small school, however, so it was easy to be known.

I went back for my 10th and it's amazing how people change. Popularity in high school isn't much of an indicator for future success.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Popularity in high school isn't much of an indicator for future success.
        Actually, in some sense, I find it is - just in the opposite way you might think. The most popular (of course, with the caveats I gave above) kids in my school are, generally speaking, those with the least success. When your life peaks at 16 or 17, it's not a good sign.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I don't think that's the case, fortunately. Rather, the popular people just succeed in equal portion to the unpopular people, which makes the fall of the popular people look so spectacular.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i would say popular... i was seen as a bit of a nut, getting in repeated fights, cussing at teachers and the principal, etc. but everybody in every grade knew me and was friends with me (even the people i fought)

teachers and the administrators didnt know how to feel about me though, someone who would talk in class, get in fights, and spend most of the class playing games with people (we had something where we would try to steal bookbags from people sitting seats away from us and turn them inside out), yet still got perfect scores on all his tests and did all the work (my high school transcript lists my GPA as 4.0+, with a plus )
            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 23, 2004, 14:55.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

In HS, I was kind of standing next to the social ladder. I was certainly not one of the popular, socialable guys - in fact, I had very few close friends - but on the other side I was respected for my academic achievement. The whole jocks-looking-down-on-the-academically-successful thing didn't exist at my school, perhaps because it was a technical HS, with generally well-motivated students.

Back in elementary school, I was bullied pretty badly, to which I reacted quite violently. In retrospect, I have to be impressed by bullies who would not leave me alone after getting beaten up. It must take a special kind of courage to continue attacking the guy who threw you down a flight of stairs last time 'round.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

That pretty much sums it up. Just change the "or" to an "and." Which is probably the reason I couldn't have cared less that I heard nothing about a 10-yr reunion (I graduated in 1994). There are like 5 people I might have wanted to see & talk to.

-Arrian
                Eh, we've got our 10-year reunion coming up this fall, and even though I know about it, I'm debating whether or not I'm going.

I took all the honors and AP classes, but made underachieving grades, and also started on the offensive and defensive lines for three years, so was really kind of a smart slacker jock. There were only 30 people in my class, though, so cliques weren't as stringent and everybody pretty well got along, with plenty of good natured teasing and very little, if any, intraclass bullying. Even though a couple of my classmates are still among my best friends, and I harbor no particular grudge toward anybody, I simply moved on and lost touch. Those I really want to see, I already keep in touch with. I'll probably go, just to see if I can hit it (tm ) with a couple of the chicks I never got a chance with back then.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Obviously, some people don't ****ing get it. There is a world of difference for getting made fun of because people are playing around with you as friends (******* friends, but friends), or because you did something stupid, and being made fun of because you exist. It's like saying that people who get tortured should just toughen up cuz everyone get's hit at some point.
                  Oh please. You seriously need to get in touch with reality. It wasn't just playing around with friends. There are popular people who didn't like eachother and **** went down becaues of that. The popular people got made fun of for doing stupid things. You need to stop blaming people and just get on with your life.

The only people it doesn't happen to are the people who really kept to themselves, whether they were popular or not.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Apoc,

Are you honestly trying to say that everyone gets treated the same in HS? Because if so, you had a very, very different HS experience than I did. I do not spend much time thinking about that now, 10 years on (except when a thread like this pops up), but the culture in my HS was absolute ****. I consider it a major problem in our society, as a matter of fact.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

Oh please. You seriously need to get in touch with reality. It wasn't just playing around with friends. There are popular people who didn't like eachother and **** went down becaues of that. The popular people got made fun of for doing stupid things. You need to stop blaming people and just get on with your life.

The only people it doesn't happen to are the people who really kept to themselves, whether they were popular or not.
                      cant speak for guevera, but what i experienced went far beyond being made fun of. One particular jerk and his pals made tormenting me one of their daily passtimes, including occasionally physical harassment. He also got at least one kid who had been a good friend into his "gang" Fortunately i had a little group of 3 guys and 4 girls who hung together, and we survived JHS that way. But we were always the "outs". At Stuyvesant I healed.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I liked high school.
                        I got more p*ssy in high school than in college.

Comment

hmmm its hard to place myself

I went to a very small school and was the nerd in that I got the highest grades always, but I was also on several sports teams including assistant captain of the hockey team , hung out with two of the guys that everyone would have said were the most popular and was banging the captain of the cheerleaders (very hot)

I don't know if a really small school defeats most of the labels or what. I just figure the fact that I was having sex with a hot girl would exclude me from the nerd category
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Are you honestly trying to say that everyone gets treated the same in HS? Because if so, you had a very, very different HS experience than I did. I do not spend much time thinking about that now, 10 years on (except when a thread like this pops up), but the culture in my HS was absolute ****. I consider it a major problem in our society, as a matter of fact.
                            No, I'm not saying everyone gets it the same. It's not completely different though. It matters if you let that **** get to you. Some people just are able to keep in touch with reality a little better so they don't get all depressed and upset about it. Then they have friends. No one likes a whiner or a depressive.
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

[edit: to flubber]

Yeah, that would probably do it. The sports help, too.

How small are we talking about, by the way, and was it public or private? I think that the small private schools are really different than public schools.

Mine was public, albeit a rather small one (my graduating class was 126 people). Big enough for cliques, certainly, but the town was small enough for reputations to stick with you from middle school (the TRUE 7th circle of hell).

-Arrian

Comment

cant speak for guevera, but what i experienced went far beyond being made fun of. One particular jerk and his pals made tormenting me one of their daily passtimes, including occasionally physical harassment. He also got at least one kid who had been a good friend into his "gang" Fortunately i had a little group of 3 guys and 4 girls who hung together, and we survived JHS that way. But we were always the "outs". At Stuyvesant I healed.
                                No...you got something worse because you want to believe that. Whining about occasional physical harrassment in high school is just silly. Sooo many people get that. Move on.

Comment

Working...
                                X