Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alan Keyes Supports Slavery Reparations (yes, that's Alan Keyes)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Keyes Supports Slavery Reparations (yes, that's Alan Keyes)!

Speaking at a news conference at the Hotel InterContinental in Chicago, Republican Keyes added to his now familiar talking points his stance on slavery reparations.

Prompted by a reporter's question, Keyes gave a brief tutorial on Roman history and said that in regard to reparations for slavery, the U.S. should do what the Romans did: "When a city had been devastated [in the Roman empire], for a certain length of time--a generation or two--they exempted the damaged city from taxation."

Keyes proposed that for a generation or two, African-Americans of slave heritage should be exempted from federal taxes--federal because slavery "was an egregious failure on the part of the federal establishment." In calling for the tax relief, Keyes appeared to be reaching out to capture the black vote, something that may prove difficult to do, particularly after his unwelcome reception at the Bud Billiken Day Parade Saturday.

The former ambassador said his plan would give African-Americans "a competitive edge in the labor market," because those exempted would be cheaper to hire than federal tax-paying employees and would "compensate for all those years when your labor was being exploited."

So let's see, Keyes has supported a massive federal sales tax to replace the income tax, the repeal of the 17th Amendment, has equated being pro-choice to both being a slaveowner and a terrorist, and now supports slavery reparations I guess. And he's stirred all this **** up in just a couple weeks.

This is the craziest politician I've ever heard of.
    Last edited by Ramo; August 17, 2004, 11:02.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

He's got some great ganja there in the Keyesoverse.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

So he wants to abolish income tax on the portion of the population that often doesn't earn enough to pay income tax?
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes. Only rich blacks like himself should get reparations.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

A new business opportunity if he suceeds... companies who will do the search to prove you are from a slave family... big bucks
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Would it apply to white people who have one slave in the family there back in the 17th C?
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

/me thinks I don't believe it!
              /me reads more... I still don't believe it!
              Alan Keyes has been replaced by a Stepford Politician.

So he wants to abolish income tax on the portion of the population that often doesn't earn enough to pay income tax?

Tosh, don't be silly. Even welfare recipients have to pay federal income tax. This is sure to sway that block of voters.

A new business opportunity if he suceeds... companies who will do the search to prove you are from a slave family... big bucks

Time to update the ol' resume to include my years of experience in genealogical research!
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

somebody better tell Keyes he's like 140 years too late... I also think he needs to be reminded he's a Republican. But I guess "supporting" an absurd thing that will never happen is a great way to "prove" you care about the black community.

If I were an Uncle Tom I might say blacks should get reparations.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

somebody better tell Keyes he's like 140 years too late... I also think he needs to be reminded he's a Republican. But I guess "supporting" an absurd thing that will never happen is a great way to "prove" you care about the black community.

If I were an Uncle Tom I might say blacks should get reparations.
                  you didn't read the article did you?

Comment

we should ride the railroads for free, 'cause we built the damn thing.

reparations for slavery, in any form, now that the generations invovled in it have passed on:
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      we should ride the railroads for free, 'cause we built the damn thing.

reparations for slavery, in any form, now that the generations invovled in it have passed on:
                      now that sprint is running connectivity through former railroad passes you get free DSL

Comment

Keyes is a Straussian, so don't believe anything he says.

(before you jump on that comment, noble lies are the Straussian doctrine).
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I don't think he's nuttier than any other Republican, or Democrat.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Isn't Keyes Spencer's "politician of choice"?
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Odd. Keyes always struck me as, in Sava's and many other people's words, an Uncle Tom. His only value is to white guys who think they can use him to placate the Black Vote without really offering anything. Now he's just generally alienating everybody. But I guess that could work. It's politics, not the real world...
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X