Is ambition a virtue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am·bi·tion n.

1. a. An eager or strong desire to achieve something, such as fame or power.
    b. The object or goal desired
    2. Desire for exertion or activity; energy

de·sire (the noun)

1. A wish or longing.
    2. A request or petition.
    3. The object of longing.
    4. Sexual appetite; passion

Plants do not have desires. Nor ambitions.
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

plants have the desire to live. if they did not, then would they live?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Plants do not have conciousness. They live not because they desire to live. Just like that stone. It is there not because it wants to be there. It is just there.
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

a plants continues to photosynthesize despite having no drive to live? why?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's a long story. You've heard the evolution theory right?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

survival is a desired goal
              desired goals are ambitions
              survival is an ambition

Comment

Survival is not a goal. A goal requires a conscious decision. I don't think you need to ask yourself, "Do I need to survive?" when you take every breath. It happens automatically. It's the same way plants conduct photosynthesis.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i get attacked by someone out to kill me. I run. Survival is my goal.

gazelle being stalked by lions... the lions attack, the gazelle run. Survival is their goal.

survival doesnt have to be as involuntary as breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    i get attacked by someone out to kill me. I run. Survival is my goal.

gazelle being stalked by lions... the lions attack, the gazelle run. Survival is their goal.

survival doesnt have to be as involuntary as breathing.
                    A gazelle does not have any conscious decision making abilities. Thus, survival is not a goal.

I doubt that you would just stand there and decide whether you want to survive first before you run, either.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• I don't think ambition could exist w/out boredom. I know the basic human desire for food, shelter and clothing also drive ambition, but those who have strived the highest did not lack those things.
                      Right, but what about someone in the middle? Their ambition might be for some rather staid goals like a house and a car to support a family.

I don't think they are bored with nothing to do but strive for something else.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• How the hell could ambition be anything but a positive? It is the driving force in humanity that has allowed us to raise ourselves up from mere animals. Anyone who is not ambitious is less of a human.
                        I think there is something to be said for the person who is content regardless of his state.

Such a rare thing nowadays.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• I am pretty ambitious, I am not pleased about it, but that green eyed monster can be a pretty powerful thing. As I've said, I've got what I wanted a year ago, now I want more...you can't win...

So no, it isn't a virtue, more a curse - never to be content with what you have.
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Provost:

Yeah, that worries me too.

I don't have much now, in material things, but I'm certainly rich in other ways. I'd hate to go the other way, in trying to provide for myself and those I care about, to lose sight of why I did these things in the first place.

Comment

• ambition is instrinsic to all life.
                              Albert:

For people, I can see that.

And so is sin, but we don't call that virtue.

One could make the arguement that Virtue is that which is not intrinsic to the human person, but must be attained through other means.

Comment

• It's not universal. It's a trait that different people possess different amount.
                                But is there anyone wholly absent of ambition?

Comment

Working...
                                X