Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there a general sneering going on east to west?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Why is there a general sneering going on east to west?

Originally posted by paiktis22

Eh? Funny what you wrote... considering I never called you specifically (the french canadian community) cultureless or backwards. I simply stated a fact about your pronunciation. One which you have trouble accepting. That's fine.
    Funny, you wrote THAT. You clearly don't have much of a grasp for what I say because I'm not French Canadian, I'm not even Canadian. In that thread, you specifically called North American provincials who leach off the culture of Europe.

Plus to say that you're completely cultureless is a minor injustice. You did produce some culture, nothing really noteworthy so far, but you do a good job at filling dirt cheaply the dead hours of TV chanels with your "culture".
    Ok, why don't you go substantiate what you're saying, because until you do, you're still just an ignorant, claimless, biggoted, xenophobe. Can you understand that?

This is not always a good thing. I laugh in a good way at some of the "carelessness" of the new world and I laugh also in a good way in your little child mentality and naivete.
    What exactly do you laugh at that you find so childish, and which isn't present in any form in your culture?

Oh, and here's an English lesson for you.

big·ot
    n.

1. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

2. A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.
    This would be you, bucko.

Edit: Patikis, seriously, why do you feel so insecure in your own culture to voluntarily put down someone elses, as you have done in this thread and the previous one about Quebec? Because this is how you come off... oh, and greasy and hairy too, slimeball.

Comment

Greece hasn't been relevent since Pyrrhus failed in Sicily
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

And Albert is correct, it wasn't just one group that came over, so saying that it was because of an old stereotype of a group in Europe isn't true.
        This shows a deep lack of understanding of how stereotype and prejudice works.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You really think they've had a great influence on our national culture? Okay, in certain aspects. Our political culture, which I would argue is better than most of what Europe can claim, owes much to Jefferson. Yeah, we had some upper class writers, and American literature owes a bit to its upper crust, but our two greatest 19th Century writers, Poe and Twain, were both from the lower class. Our greatest 20th Century writers have been lower class.
          And van Gough was a royal prince, or what?

You seriously equate class with culture? Well, I suppose you would...
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why is there a general sneering going on east to west?

Edit: Patikis, seriously, why do you feel so insecure in your own culture to voluntarily put down someone elses, as you have done in this thread and the previous one about Quebec? Because this is how you come off... oh, and greasy and hairy too, slimeball.
            Oh man. Are you telling me that a paiktis troll on Anglo Saxons (and Quebec!!??!) had the effect of creating a whole new thread for Pattycakes to troll in?

He can be good, but all he wants is his marbles back. Like many Greeks, he is like the child on the school ground crying about his lost marbles. He thinks that having the marbles back will somehow rescue his country from the pit of mediocrity it slipped into over 2000 years ago.

You have to understand the real offense that has been given. The real offense is that British culture long ago eclipsed any claim the Greeks could ever hope to have on the cultural capital of Europe. What the English, Welsh, Scots, and Irish, and their descendants have done (by including others instead of hiding behind walls from them) long ago left the glory of Athens and Sparta in the dust. That is the crime. If you speak English you stand accused.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
              It's kind of hard to take comments about America being cultureless from people just coming from seeing our movies and eating Big Macs.
              Hollywood = culture?

McD = culture?

How?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why is there a general sneering going on east to west?
                The general sneering goes both ways. Both sides think that it is the other that does all the sneering, thanks to the confirmation bias. How can you possibly take the views of a single well-known troll to be indicative of some larger trend?

To me, it seems like Americans (or rather the right-wing variety) who are constantly sneering at Europe. But I'm fairly certain that this is a product of my imagination and not any sort of objective fact.

Comment

big�ot
                  n.

1. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

2. A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.
                  OK, so that's all of Apolyton except perhaps Rah.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Henry David Thoreau, Tennesee Williams, Norman Rockwell, George M. Cohen, Andy Warhol, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Isaac Asimov -- among many, many others.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, but you got Ayn Rand. That's a huge negative right there.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Re: Why is there a general sneering going on east to west?

Originally posted by paiktis22

I view your culture as "hamburger" culture, something not really nurising, certaintly not healthy and definitely not rich but ok for filling your stomach for an hour or two.

The first time ever I saw your face
                        I thought the sun rose in your eyes
                        And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
                        To the dark and the endless sky, my love.

The first time ever I kissed your mouth,
                        I felt the earth move in my hand,
                        Like a trembling heart of a captive bird
                        That was there at my command, my love.

The first time ever I lay with you
                        I felt your heart so close to mine
                        And I knew our joy would fill the earth
                        And last 'til the end of time, my love,
                        And last 'til the end of time.

Lyrics and music © 1962
                        by
                        Ewan MacColl

1915 - 1989

it is at moments after i have dreamed

it is at moments after i have dreamed
                        of the rare entertainment of your eyes,
                        when (being fool to fancy) i have deemed

with your peculiar mouth my heart made wise;
                        at moments when the glassy darkness holds

the genuine apparition of your smile
                        (it was through tears always)and silence moulds
                        such strangeness as was mine a little while;

moments when my once more illustrious arms
                        are filled with fascination, when my breast
                        wears the intolerant brightness of your charms:

one pierced moment whiter than the rest

-turning from the tremendous lie of sleep
                        i watch the roses of the day grow deep.

e e cummings

Bessie Smith

Empty Bed Blues

I woke up this morning with a awful aching head
                        I woke up this morning with a awful aching head
                        My new man had left me, just a room and a empty bed
                        Bought me a coffee grinder that's the best one I could find
                        Bought me a coffee grinder that's the best one I could find
                        Oh he could grind my coffee, cause he had a brand new grind
                        He's a deep sea diver with a stroke that can't go wrong
                        He's a deep sea diver with a stroke that can't go wrong
                        He can stay at the bottom and his wind holds out so long
                        He knows how to thrill me and he thrills me night and day
                        Oh he knows how to thrill me, he thrills me night and day
                        He's got a new way of loving, almost takes my breath away
                        Lord he's got that sweet somethin' and I told my girlfriend Lou
                        He's got that sweet somethin' and I told my girlfriend Lou
                        From the way she's raving, she must have gone and tried it too

(Part 2

When my bed get empty make me feel awful mean and blue
                        When my bed get empty make me feel awful mean and blue
                        My springs are getting rusty, sleeping single like I do
                        Bought him a blanket, pillow for his head at night
                        Bought him a blanket, pillow for his head at night
                        Then I bought him a mattress so he could lay just right
                        He came home one evening with his beret way up high
                        He came home one evening with his beret way up high
                        What he had to give me, make me wring my hands and cry
                        He give me a lesson that I never had before
                        He give me a lesson that I never had before
                        When he got to teachin' me, from my elbow down was sore
                        He poured my first cabbage and he made it awful hot
                        He poured my first cabbage and he made it awful hot
                        When he put in the bacon, it overflowed the pot
                        When you git good lovin', never go and spread the news
                        Yes he'll doublecross you, and leave you with them empty bed blues

The resemblance of any of these three manifestations of American culture to McDonalds' advertising escapes me.

But of course, paiktis is used to Greece where the souvlaki sellers regularly use the collected works of the Epicurean philosophers and Anna Comnena's 'Alexiad' to sell their wares.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Why is there a general sneering going on east to west?

Inspired by patikis' comments in LeftHand's thread, why do Europeans see North Americans as being cultureless and backwards?
                          Why do Americans think that all Euros think the same 'bout them?
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Yeah, but you got Ayn Rand. That's a huge negative right there.
                            Considering that one of your most important leaders declared war on your own intelligensia, I'd say you don't have much room to critique us.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Monks got you by the balls there UR
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                                Henry David Thoreau, Tennesee Williams, Norman Rockwell, George M. Cohen, Andy Warhol, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Isaac Asimov -- among many, many others.
                                you forgot Faulkner

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X