Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intelegent life in the Universe, how common is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelegent life in the Universe, how common is it?

I think LIFE itself is common, but sentience is not. For example, I am 75% sure there is life on Europa, but life there will never become intellegent. There will be a lot of microbial diversity, but there will be no higher life, because there is no light, no photosynthesis in the depths of the Europan seas. This is where I think we will find that most life in the universe is in the form of chemosynthetic microbes under the ice of Europa-type worlds.

Earth-like planets that stay habitable are rare in the universe. Venus is a prime example of this, I think it was once truely earthlike world, with oceans, plate tectonics, and life. If we when back 2 billion years Earth and Venus would probably truely look like twins, both with complex communities of microbes and newly oxidized atmospheres; but Venus was in trouble. As with all stars, the sun has gotten more luminouis over time. Sol was 30% dimmer 4 billion years ago than it is now. By 2 billion years ago, geo-biological feedback mechinisms had sucked down the atmospheric CO2 to keep the planet cool, but the Level of CO2 had reached 0, the cooling feedback loop was done. It was the beginning of the end for venus. It kept getting hotter and hotter. Oceans boiled away, ending plat tectonics since crust needs to be hydrated for subduction to occur. Carbonates decomposed, freeing 90 atmospheres of CO2, turning it into the hell it is today. Earth will follow her sister in this fate less than a billion years from now, we have 100 atmospheres worth of CO2 trapped in carbonate rocks, and our plants are in a constant state of CO2-starvation. If Earth would have been 5 million miles closer to the sun, we wouldent be here.

We also should thank good ol' Luna for keeping the earth's axis stabilized.

Now biology comes into play, We come from a long line of faliures. We are Tetrapods, whose lobe-finned ancestors barely sneaked past the ray-finned and shark hordes. We are Mammals, who got lucky when the better designed dinos went bye-bye. We are Primates, who were sent packing to Africa from their North American late Cretaceous birthplace 35 million years ago by the cooling forests and the rodents. We are apes, which barely survived the transition from forest to grassland 5 million years ago. Finnaly, our australopithicine ancestors barely sqweeked through the start of the ice age 2.5 million years ago to give rise to Homo.

So, I think there are, at most, 4 other sentient species in our galaxy.
    Of course integent life is common, you anti-Sagan dolt.
    22.22%
    Sentience is rare, screw you Sagan.
    44.44%
    Unsure
    18.52%
    The ETs eat Bannanas
    14.81%

*Whips out Drake equation...*
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

...very common
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

the better designed
        An odd statement, Odin.

Who designed them?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
          *Whips out Drake equation...*
          That doesn't count the need of a big, stailizing moon, Jupiter clearing out the asteroids, and most of all, the Sagans of the world forget that intelegence isn't the goal of evolution. I consider that equation a bunch of over-optimisstic crap.

Comment

Looking at the topic, not very.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

An odd statement, Odin.

Who designed them?
              Natural selection (DUH!).

Comment

there isn't intelligent life on earth. Why would the universe have any?

Comment

Actually...

I believe *intelligent* life is common. I just don't believe that most of it is planet bound (like we are), and that we will not recognize it as even being alive.

Evolution does breed for intelligence. Or more correctly, intelligence breeds for intelligence. Once intelligence occurs, it tries to grow. Intelligence itself is a pro-survival trait in any complex environment, which is why intelligence breeds for greater intelligence.

Take a look at the chemistry that's floating around in space. Very complex organics. But its going to be a long, long time before we can confirm all that life. And even longer, if ever, to discover if it is actually intelligent.

Have fun.
                  -Darkstar
                  (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Natural selection
                    Then how can they be 'better' or 'worse?'
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

There was a point in our (euro-centric) history where we though people of different race were mindless beasts. Some day (if we survive as a species) we'll look back on our definitions of intelligence now as just as wrong.

My answer: I can't count that high.

Comment

We'll know when we'll know.

I think its going to be pretty damned rare though

Comment

Intelligent Mammalian land dwelling life forms? I agree those will be the rarest planet bound life.
                          -Darkstar
                          (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Who cares? We'll never know it if there are other "intelligent" life forms out there.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Odin, 4 in our galaxy, infinate galaxies, infinate sentient life...

Anyway I hope you're right. That would give us room to expand before meeting anyone. Meeting anyone might suck.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X