England-Portugal..the penalty spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alva
    England's out because they miss quality, basically they miss technique.
    If a nations hope of winning rests on the shoulders of an 18 year old, then that should tell you enough.
    Becks was unlucky, though I do think he shouldn't have volunteered to give a penalty, and certainly not the first one.
    You can't really say that they went out due to a lack of quality and technique when they only lost on penalties? Especially when they could easily have gone through with a different refereing decision?
    Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Did I get ya then, eh?
      I'd say that I didn't swing that way, except that, well, I blatently do
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

That's the best thing I've ever read man!!!! Been laughing with for about 10 minutes now, and keep relapsing...

* alva wipes tears from eyes.
        -
        Beware of the Swedish football hooligans (here's my hooligan aunt, picture taken the same week as the game I mentioned)
        Attached Files
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Your aunt:

I demand more photos
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Personally, I think they're all Kants!
            Oops thanks for edit . Seeing as how Kant is the opposite of me in almost every way, I'll take that as an unintended compliment (the best kind) .

Comment

Originally posted by OPD
              Especially when they could easily have gone through with a different refereing decision?
              The English could have won with the rejected goal indeed. But "easily" is not the word I'd pick. The match was full of suspense, and if a team had clear dominance over it, it was Portugal.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by OPD

You can't really say that they went out due to a lack of quality and technique when they only lost on penalties? Especially when they could easily have gone through with a different refereing decision?
                True, but you've got to admit they never looked like winning. The fun part of football is that everyone CAN win, but you never looked like you would.
                Your defense was fantastic tonight, I'll give you that and as some one else mentioned, one good portugese striker and that foul never would have mattered and penalty's were never going to happen.

They kicked your butt on midfield big time, so much I would have brought in an extra midfielder instead of Vassel. I think he (Eirccson) would have if Butt wouldn't have been injured.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

Oops thanks for edit . Seeing as how Kant is the opposite of me in almost every way, I'll take that as an unintended compliment (the best kind) .
                  The edit was I spelt Kant, incorrectly as in, Cant (well, I've been at the pub all night!). It was just a play on phonetics and philosophers, I wasn't calling you a c***

Sorry for any offence.......

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                    Your aunt:

I demand more photos
                    I still regret that my mother sold "Mr Bean" for only 700 € - AFTER importing it to Sweden, at a cost of 700€ for the transfer alone.

The environmental regulations suck. If the car was one year older, it would be excepted from the rules. Now the regulations said it needed a catalyst fume cleaner (correct English name?), which no garage said they could get. My brother's buddy imported one and installed it himself, after buying the car. He made an excellent bargain.

I loved that hooligan car.
                    Attached Files
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

The English could have won with the rejected goal indeed. But "easily" is not the word I'd pick. The match was full of suspense, and if a team had clear dominance over it, it was Portugal.
                      "England would have gone through with a different referee decision, which could easily have happened"
                      Would better outline the intended discourse.

True, but you've got to admit they never looked like winning. The fun part of football is that everyone CAN win, but you never looked like you would.
                      Your defense was fantastic tonight, I'll give you that and as some one else mentioned, one good portugese striker and that foul never would have mattered and penalty's were never going to happen.

They kicked your butt on midfield big time, so much I would have brought in an extra midfielder instead of Vassel. I think he (Eirccson) would have if Butt wouldn't have been injured.
                      Nah I think England did look like they were going to win for the majority of the game.

No matter how much better Potugual played England did enough to win. I think it was very much like the game against France, if Portugual had gone 1 - 0 up then IMO England would have played alot better and Portugual would have been on the back foot defending a lead.

He never should have brought on Phil Neville, that guy is cursed or something.

Also of note is the fact that the English team practised penalties on that pitch yesterday and made a complaint to UEFA about the quality of the penalty spot. If that's not setting yourself up for a penalty loss then I don't know what is.
                      Are we having fun yet?

Comment

When was the last time the English won a penalty shootout anyway?

No, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                          When was the last time the English won a penalty shootout anyway?

No, seriously.
                          vs Spain. Euro 96

The Italians are the REAL hard luck story in world football if you look back the last 15 years or so

Comment

The edit was I spelt Kant, incorrectly as in, Cant (well, I've been at the pub all night!). It was just a play on phonetics and philosophers, I wasn't calling you a c***

Sorry for any offence.......
                            Hey it's cool

Comment

vs Spain. Euro 96

The Italians are the REAL hard luck story in world football if you look back the last 15 years or so
                              Hmm they beat the Dutch in 2000 using penalties. Dutch also went on penalties in 1998 and 1996. Not sure about 1994 and 1992.

Comment

Well,gg Portugal
                                what let us down was our reliance on our 1 goal lead.....we never recovered after they scored.
                                I need Scooby Snacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X