Iran's top nuclear negotiator warned Israel on Tuesday that his
    country would certainly retaliate if the Jewish state were to attack
    Iranian nuclear facilities.

Israel and the United States suspect Iran is secretly building
    nuclear weapons under cover of a nuclear program to produce
    electricity. In the past, Israel has said it will not allow Iran to
    build a nuclear bomb. In 1981, Israeli fighter-bombers destroyed a
    nuclear reactor that was under construction outside Baghdad because
    it feared Iraq would acquire a nuclear weapon.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said last month Iran was a
    threat to Israel, "maybe the main existential threat."

In an interview with state television, Iran's chief negotiator on
    nuclear affairs, Hasan Rowhani, warned that an Israeli attack would
    have severe consequences.

"Israel knows our hands are well equipped," Rowhani said. "If such
    an incident happens, it will meet a resolute response from our
    side."

Rowhani did not explain what he meant by saying Iran was "well
    equipped," but Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani said in December that
    Iran would strike back with long-range missiles if Israel were to
    attack its nuclear facilities.

Shamkhani said Iran's Shahab-3 missile, which has a range of about
    1,300 kilometers (810 miles), would be one of the weapons used.
    Israel is about 965 kilometers (600 miles) west of Iran.

Suspicion of Israel and its agents is pervasive in Iran. On
    Saturday, Iran's armed forces closed the new Imam Khomeini
    International Airport on its first day of scheduled flights. Citing
    security concerns, the armed forces spoke of possible links between
    Israel and a Turkish company that has a contract to operate the
    airport. The Turkish company rejected the allegation.

Turkey does have military links with Israel.

Iran is building its first nuclear reactor, which is expected to
    come on stream next year. It has been criticized by the
    International Atomic Energy Agency for failing to disclose certain
    aspects of its nuclear program. Iran has promised to cooperate fully
    with IAEA inspectors and insists its program is only for peaceful
    purposes.
    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

So?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I wonder if a deal could be made about Syria and Iran.
      Smoke one, the next one gets smoked for free.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What is Iran going to do? If it retaliates, surely the US will step in. I guess Bush would then have an excuse to invade Iran. Oh well... it should make for interesting news.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

To get to Iran, Israel has to overfly either:

1. Turkey
          2. Iraq
          3. Saudi Arabia

So in essence, they could not do it without the US knowing fully what is about to happen=and either give it tactic approval (overflights of Iraq) or stand by and do nothing.

Hence, the US would be the one to get the blame....

And we still ship them 3 billion a year
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
            What is Iran going to do? If it retaliates, surely the US will step in.
            Does the US have sufficient reserves to invade a country as populous as Iran and still keep up it's current commitments?

Does the US welcome the closure of the Persian Gulf to oil exports (Iran could do this for a limited time, albeit at great expense)?

You WANT to pay $10 a gallon? 'Cos that would be at least one result.

I guess Bush would then have an excuse to invade Iran. Oh well... it should make for interesting news.
            You have a weird idea of interesting.

As to Panag's original post - if Israel wants to cause more unstability and unrest, than that is Israel's decision. Personally I see nukes as stabilising, rather than destabilising, but clearly Israel's govt does not feel this way. I find it hypocrisy that Israel possesses nuclear weapons yet thinks it has a right to say who else should or should not have them.

And if Israel doesn't have nukes - why did Vanunu go to prison for so long?

However, we will ALL have to live with the consequences.
            Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I certainly wouldn't trust Iran with nuclear weapons, but having Israel go and bomb it would just create a ****storm of enormous proportions.
              Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

yeah yeah everyone is a threat to everyone and you all are a threat to me.

That doesnt mean that we couldnt work it out otherwise!

Comment

The US would never approve of a preemptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities by Israel. There are simply too many economic implications for the US.
                  "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                  "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

...Also, just remembered. What would Lebanon do if Israel bombed Iran?
                    Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Shocking news! If one country unilaterally attacks another, the country being attacked may retaliate!

Are there people that are expecting Iran to issue a statement saying "sure, come and bomb us. We don't care and certainly won't do anything about it"?
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

OMG -- a country is declaring that it would defend itself if it were attacked!

THIS is NEWS!!!!!!!!!
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                          Does the US have sufficient reserves to invade a country as populous as Iran and still keep up it's current commitments?
                          Well, the US could at least conduct a massive air campaign, destroying anything remotely resembling a military.
                          Does the US welcome the closure of the Persian Gulf to oil exports (Iran could do this for a limited time, albeit at great expense)?
                          oh please... Iran couldn't do jack****... where's their Navy? US forces are already in control of that region.
                          You WANT to pay $10 a gallon? 'Cos that would be at least one result.
                          good... that would spark demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles. And all the SUV owners would be suffering... sounds good to me.

You have a weird idea of interesting.
                          I know
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                            OMG -- a country is declaring that it would defend itself if it were attacked!

THIS is NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Btw, I would be for such a strike, if it was possible. However, it's not.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well, the US could at least conduct a massive air campaign, destroying anything remotely resembling a military.
                              Uh huh. Worked well other times, didn't it? Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia...

Air power without ground troops just pi55es off your opponent.

oh please... Iran couldn't do jack****... where's their Navy? US forces are already in control of that region.
                              What exactly is the mine clearance capability of US naval vessels?

Last time I looked, zero... US Navy uses helos for that role - which aren't terribly effective in open waters.

Of course, Iran couldn't keep them closed. But it could close them for a short period.

good... that would spark demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles. And all the SUV owners would be suffering... sounds good to me.
                              And dramatically increase costs for industry, causing more unemployment and crime.

Next time you're mugged, reconsider your answer.
                              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
                              X