Lord of the Fries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    If they're really that poor, they shouldn't be paying for that luxury. Basic point being that anyone who says poor people are forced to eat McDonald's food because of their economic situation is a complete moron.
    In the long run it'll be deterimental to their health and pocketbook, but short term it can be a small relief from burden. And who here can say that they haven't traded common sense for convenience before?
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

P.S. I'm not some elitist who eats healthy food. I still don't eat that healthy. But I do eat less of the bad stuff, and I eliminated fast food all together.

It's strange though. After eliminating fast food, I did eat Taco Bell one day. And it didn't even taste good.

But I still don't eat that great. Because I could never give up pizza, and I still eat too much of it (although in smaller servings).

My reason for giving up fast food was more about losing weight and saving money, than health. I really don't care about my health that much .

That's also why I eliminated soda. My metabolism is just too slow to put all those sugar calories into me and not gain weight.

Comment

i dont drink soda. i run 2 miles a day, quit smoking cigarette so i can smoke a fat blunt and get wasted whenever theres a party.

its a rather nice balance
        :-p

Comment

In the long run it'll be deterimental to their health and pocketbook, but short term it can be a small relief from burden. And who here can say that they haven't traded common sense for convenience before?

I don't disagree with you; people obviously eat at McDonald's and this is the primary reason. I just disagree with the idea that poor people have to eat at McDonald's. They don't and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. If you want to bash MickeyD's, go right ahead; I don't like the place, either. Just don't try to turn it into some bull**** class warfare argument...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don't disagree with you; people obviously eat at McDonald's and this is the primary reason. I just disagree with the idea that poor people have to eat at McDonald's. They don't and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. If you want to bash MickeyD's, go right ahead; I don't like the place, either.
            Then we're agreed.

Just don't try to turn it into some bull**** class warfare argument...

Who said I was?
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Who said I was?

Not me. I was talking about people other than you...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

k

Comment

I hate mcdonalds. I never eat there. Go me!
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

If you are poor, what are you doing at McDonald's to begin with? You're either too poor to be there at all, or wealthy enough to (very!) carefully budget in your food supplies at the grocery store.
                    As Theben pointed out, it's also about time. Poor people work long hours, too, and there's the added burden of having to care for kids. They don't have the time to prepare food. It's not as simple as just going to the grocery. You have to make a list, get to the grocery, get back from the grocery, prep the food, cook it, and then clean up afterwards. It's time consuming, and when there's a quick, messless alternative like McD's around the corner which purports to be nutritious, people are going to go for that.

The supersize thing is related, as people see it as getting more value for their dollar. When the deal is that the more food you buy, the cheaper it is, that's another incentive to buy it.

No one's absolving people of their personal responsibility -- the filmmaker pointed that out. But how much responsibility does McD's have for offering its customers the nooses with which to hang themselves?
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

When my brother lived in San Diego, he told me a meal at the local fast food joint costed as much as a meal prepared at home. That's why so many people went to McD's: why bother cooking when you have everything served to you for the same price?

Well, maybe he didn't buy the cheapest in the supermarket (computer engineer + French = significant money spent on food). But indeed, I think the commonness of fast food in the American diet has some real reasons to it.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

But how much responsibility does McD's have for offering its customers the nooses with which to hang themselves?
                        I'd say just about nil, with the only exception being instances where items are falsely advertised as being healthy.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

There also the question where you live. Taking me as an example, if I want lunch, and don't have the time to go home and fix it myself nor the motivation to bring something along from home to eat out (either of which can easily be less than 1€), my options are basically:

* A 'real' restaurant. Costs from about 6€ to infinity.

* McD. Costs about 5€.

* Any of the little kebab places that abound here. Costs 3-5€ or so.

* The students' restaurants. Costs 1.5-3€.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that I rarely eat at McD. Even if I weren't a student and were addicted to junk food, it would be hard to justify going there.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

They buy for the convienence. After working 8-14 hours/day then going home and dealing with kids, paying someone extra to make food for you is a luxury.

If they're really that poor, they shouldn't be paying for that luxury. Basic point being that anyone who says poor people are forced to eat McDonald's food because of their economic situation is a complete moron.
                            This is all assuming, of course, that the grocery stores are actually WHERE the poor people are. Is there transportation for car-less poor people to get to these places? Do they even accept food stamps or other vouchers?

Poor people, in general, have much less access to grocery stores that offer healthy nutrional staples, so they do rely on junk-peddlers like party stores and McD's for food.

And the movie does make a valid point- There ARE a lot of Americans who eat fast food on a daily basis, for years on end. The fact that he did what he did is meant to underscore that very point.
                            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              It shouldn't surprise anyone that I rarely eat at McD. Even if I weren't a student and were addicted to junk food, it would be hard to justify going there.
                              Indeed, we European students now throng the Kebab houses. Fortunately, they don't have a marketing machine that makes you think it is cool, or healthy
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Nice article

Don't often eat at Mcdonalds ( or Quick), after half a burger I simply get bored of it, the food is too sweet anyway.

Btw: Quick/McD are not cheap here, well they are for me 'cause I hardly order anything but people wanting 2 or 3 burgers and fries....
                                I'd rather spend a little extra and go to a restaurant.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X