NHL Playoffs, Round *ing 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

commentator

" good goaltending in the Calgary end followed by goals on shots a goalie has to have in a one goal game"
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

that sucker in the San Jose net has a WEAK leg reach

Comment

Its getting tougher and tougher for lawrence of Arabia to make the nabakov over Kipper argument with a straight face.

There's still a lot of hockey to be played but in the first two games it has been Kipper dominant-- no contest-- not even close
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Its over

4-1 calgary final

Kipper was good when he had to be
          nabokov looked downright weak

The sharks are in big trouble unless they start getting some superlative goaltending. The rest of their team has not played terribly but they do need to get more than the 18 shots they managed in game 2

Comment

I'd be pissed right now if I were a Sharks fan. Either they missed or they hit the Kipper wall. It is soooo frustrating when your team plays well but you run into a hot and lucky goalie.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

class on the SJ fans though - booing their team off the ice. quite a nice bit of baggage for the sharks to bring for the next two CALGARY held games

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                wow - i am one shellshocked fan. and its the end of the first.
                Ready to concede about Kipper's awesomeness yet?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I can't believe the Sharks made it this far -- what a weakass team.

What does that say about the teams they beat? Holy ****.

No wonder Nabokov has inflated stats, you had people who wouldn't even qualify for the minors shooting at him.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

yeah we are flaming out. but still lots of hockey to play.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                      yeah we are flaming out. but still lots of hockey to play.
                      I agree its nowhere near over but if the Sharks don't start getting excellent goaltending IMMEDIATELY, this could be a very short series

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        I can't believe the Sharks made it this far -- what a weakass team.
                        I dunno about weak, but they sure aren't showing any resilience. The shots of the bench after the Calgary goals just say it all right now -- that team looks psychologically broken. Kiprusoff's in their heads and Nabokov is letting them down. Calgary just keeps coming at them and they don't seem to know how to deal with it.

Looking back at the end of the Colorado series, the Sharks have lost four of their last five games and more or less won the other one based on a strong twenty minutes. That's not a team that looks like it wants to go the final -- by contrast, Calgary's now won seven road games already and looked better in game 2 than in game 1, I thought.

This one's over quick if the Sharks don't grow some spine. A quick end would suit me -- let the Flames rest while the Flyers & Lightning beat the hell out of each other .
                        "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

It looks like the Flames are on their way to become the first team ever to beat all three division winners in a conference to get to the final.

Comment

Calgary Sun:
                            Sharks in hot water

The Calgary Flames continue to prove that they are much more than just Jarome Iginla, Miikka Kiprusoff and a cast of unimportant extras.

Tuesday night in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals, the unheralded trio of Shean Donovan, Marcus Nilson and Ville Nieminen dominated the action in Calgary's huge 4-1 road victory. The underdog Flames now carry a two-games-to-none advantage back to Calgary for Thursday's Game 3 at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

Nilson scored the game's opening goal, just 20 seconds into the contest, with a bad-angle bank shot off the foot of a San Jose defender and past a startled Evgeni Nabokov. Donovan scored the winning goal, later in the first, with a stunning move on a breakaway -- set up by pin-point passes from Nieminen and Nilson. Nieminen added a third-period insurance goal as their line finished the night with six points.

"They were awesome, what can you say?" said teammate Craig Conroy. "They came right out, set the tone. It's almost like they scored the first shift and started feeling it right away.

"Those guys, they just get on a roll. To see them get goals was awesome because they do everything. They were awesome."

So far, the Flames have scored eight goals in the Western Conference Finals. Iginla, who tied for the regular-season goal-scoring crown with 41 tallies, has just one of those goals -- a meaningless late goal Tuesday night. He also assisted on Steve Montador's game-winning goal in Sunday's 4-3 overtime win.

Kiprusoff, meanwhile, returned to his brilliant form Tuesday, allowing just one goal.

Nilson, obtained in a late-season dEal to bolster the team's depth, says that his unit's performance -- which was dominant in every facet of the game -- was all just in a day's work.

"That's what our team needs," said Nilson. "A team needs other guys to score goals. Iggy, Conny (Craig Conroy) and (Martin) Gelinas can't do it all by themselves. The rest of the lines have to step up and our line had a pretty good game tonight."

As a result, The Flames contInue to surprise observers as they move to within two wins of their first Stanley Cup berth since winning their only championship in 1989.

San Francisco Chronical:
                            Sharks in deep hole

While the Flames fill home giddy for Game 3, the San Jose Sharks know they face a huge task to just get back in this series.

After Game 2's loss, San Jose needs to win four of the last five games in the series to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time. Not since Detroit in 1945 has a team lost the first two games at home and rallied to advance to the Finals.

The Sharks, meanwhile, have never rallied from an 0-2 deficit in their short postseason history.

The Sharks have lost all four times they've fallen into an 0-2 hole, regardless whether starting at home or on the road. Twice, San Jose extended series to six games -- in 1999 against Colorado and '98 to Dallas. They were swept by Detroit in '95 and lost in five to Dallas in 2000.

Yet, Alyn Mccauley, who scored San Jose's only goal Tuesday, still believes.

"It's achievable," he said. "They're a tough team, but we feel we're up to the task."

San Jose, may well be capable of coming back, but they will have to play mch better than they did in Game 2. Calgary played a dominant first period, scoring two goals and banging the Sharks into quick capitulation.

"We didn't play very determined hockey; we didn't work very hard," said forward Scott Thornton. "I think they outworked us in every battle and in every situation."

San Jose coach Ron Wilson was almost as blunt.

"Calgary was prepared," Wilson said. "But part of it was our own fault. We just didn't get the job done. We didn't execute, period."

That will have to chance on Thursday if San Jose hopes to climb back into this series.

Comment

Good articles

Comment

Great game yesterday and a lot closer then the score suggests. Calgary was smart going for more defensive approach. They really limited SJs scoring chances.

Nabo didn't have a chance of stopping Nieminen's goal after the SJ defencemen screened Nabo. That's the type of basic error they got to avoid. (On two-on-one, goalie stops the shot, defence blocks the pass)

I don't know how Nabo managed to miss Iginla's shot.
                                Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                                X