X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giancarlo
    And this is what DanS said:

"But he also seemed sincere and resolute."
    Fez, when quoting out of context its best to remove anything that may indicate there was something more.
    In this case you left "But". "But" is usually used like "I like this....but I don't." or "Evil! But nice".
    Thus, to be true to fascist party line, you should have said

And this is what DanS said:

"He seemed sincere and resolute."
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Good God. Bush's aides brainwash him with those hotbuttons, and we are left listening to a blubbering vegetable.

The first reporter asked him to comment on the differences between Iraq and Vietnam. Of course, he says that the two situations couldn't be more different. Problem: the rhetorical reasons he listed for being in Iraq were precisely the reasons that LBJ and Nixon claimed for being in Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
        Very true. He dodged many questions. If he had at least said "Yes I've made mistakes, I'm human and therefore I make mistakes" I could at least respect that.
        Oviously any time a president agrees to a press conference, they have an expectation, even if they don;t come out froward, that they will be able to use the time to sell thier grand message. The question is how to do it in a way that still engages the media and in the end leaves the reporters either on your side, or at least confused.

Reagan gave VERY FEW press conferences, but he was god at doing both things, specially the confusing one. BUsh the elder was OK at the first one, though dry and never came of as very likeable. Too cold. Clinton was a master at it. You gave slick willy a question, he would repeat it, rephrase it in a subtle but important way, then give an answer that was party valid to the original question, but really more pertinent to HIS new version of the question.

How could Bush have done so with the question I mentioned?

Let's try-this is my attempt:

I know there is this criticism that we don;t back down from our policies, and you know, I think that is correct-we do stick to our policies. NOw, the informaion we were given is not always fully correct, and perhaps here or there someone runs with the information we have at hand and may speak before all the facts are in, but in the end, we do stick to our policy becuase we believe it's the right policy, and now the people of Iraq ..... and whatever.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

stupid Bush... I have to wait until next week to see an all new 24 because of his stupid face.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You people are unbelieveable.. this like reading the left wing tabloids. This is pathetic.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

YES WE ARE ALL COMMIES NOW GO AWAY
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

the press should be ashamed of themselves. They don't deserve their journalism diplomas if the best they can come up with some lame question like "what was your biggest mistake?"

Congrats, you made the president of the US look foolish. Don't be proud of yourselves. There is nothing honorable or glorious in making the Prez look bad!
                'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  YES WE ARE ALL COMMIES NOW GO AWAY
                  Fox News is more believeable then all of you put together.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The press can't make the President look bad.
                    Only he can make himself look bad.

Comment

I agree with Tass, Bush looked bad on his own. The press didn't have to do anything.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You people are unbelieveable.. this like reading the left wing tabloids. This is pathetic.
                        Yes, I am a left-wing communist.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

A monkey on a tricycle could have made him look bad. What would be dishonorable is not doing their job.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Yes, I am a left-wing communist.
                            Welcome to the party

Comment

the press should be ashamed of themselves. They don't deserve their journalism diplomas if the best they can come up with some lame question like "what was your biggest mistake?"

Congrats, you made the president of the US look foolish. Don't be proud of yourselves. There is nothing honorable or glorious in making the Prez look bad!

As Tass said, only Bush can come out looking bad. HE set this up-he picks whom to call on, and he has the stage-and unlimited time to answer. For God sake's this is his damned press conference!

He should have know tough questions were coming-and prepared to field them, or act outraged if he felt the question was out of bounds, whatever. NO press victim can ever have more control of the situation than Bush did in his very own press conference. It was Bush's time to screw up or not.

Don't blem the press for fulfilling their role of this bargain in which the president get one full hour of free airtime in primetime.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Christ, I try to look at things as impartially as possible and it was obvious to me that Bush looked incredibly bad tonight.

They might as well have set up a DJ up there with him, Bush was dancing around the questions so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X