X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gadaffi now an ally?

Blair hails new Libyan relations

I don't know what to make of this.

Libya's people will benefit from an ending of sanctions and opening up the economy, and the West will get lots of solid intelligence to help fight Al-qaeda. And lots of contracts for big companies.

But, Gadaffi, whilst not being a butcher like Saddam, was behind a lot of terrorism himself, and he's notoriously unpredictable. And we're selling weapons to him? It could backfire spectacularly, like Al-qaeda did.

Libya's got lots of natural resources and it's in a good position, so the country could do well if Gadaffi can tone down his 'eccentricity'. Although I think that some of his big projects sound distinctly dodgy.

I'd be interested to know how this is being reported in America.

You know, I just don't think we should trust him...

...trust Blair that is
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

He's already been shocked and awed.
      Word is he sent smoke signals to Hussein, trying to warn him not to do stupid things.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'll begin to worry if western leaders start to wear such funny clothes like Gaddafi
        Blah

Comment

Remember, being a blood-thirsty, oppressive dictator is okay so long as you are one of OUR blood-thirsty, oppressive dictators.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

He's getting old too. He may be trying to bring Libya back into world politics and trade before he passes on.

Comment

he is one of our glorious allies... just like Saudi Arabia.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Libya pretty much came clean. Gadafi is also getting older and wiser. He was very stupid when he was young and his family got killed with his imaginary territory lines in the ocean. He has been very quiet in recent years. He wants to leave at least a survivable legacy for his son I think it is who wants to succeed him.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I can't believe what I hear. Gaddafi has played his card decades back. Trust him now, regret it later. His true colours are shown and he should not be considered as an allie. If anything, then most an enemy who is inable to act against you anymore and has buried his hatchet, and that's at the very most. NEVER!
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

But Pekka, he's a glorious US ally! I mean, he's cooperating.
                    Clearly he'll always be a US ally.
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Is it just me, or Gadaffi becoming more and more like David Hasselhoff every day?

BROTHER LEADER MUAMMAR GADDAFI, OF THE WORLD ISALMIC PEOPLE’S LEADERSHIP DESIGNS A REVOLUTIONARY, SAFE CAR FOR THE BENEFIT OF MANKIND.
                      Attached Files
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

That explains my distrust of Agathon.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          I can't believe what I hear. Gaddafi has played his card decades back. Trust him now, regret it later. His true colours are shown and he should not be considered as an allie. If anything, then most an enemy who is inable to act against you anymore and has buried his hatchet, and that's at the very most. NEVER!
                          The US could take him out in two weeks, so I don't think he wants to do anything stupid. He's a survivalist, not an idiot.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

"I'm sorry Muammar, but that ravine is just too wide for me to jump."

"C'mon KITT! We'll clear it no problem with Allah's mighty turbo-boost!"
                            Attached Files
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I think it may be more about Libya after MG.

There is a middle class there. It is a farily well developed country with intact infrastructure. They are very European, compared to some other places.

I think Libya would be ideal for reintroducing democracy to a Muslim state, without a lot of bloodshed.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X