Why Government Grows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Well one item / one bill, would only require a bill. Of course it could also overturned by a simple bill.
    C'ourse if they passed said bill they would be too swamped to pass the rescinding bill.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      People who make more that a quarter million a year shouldn't be allowed to vote. They are too selfish to have the interests o the community at heart.

Yep absolutely those evil small business owners don't contribute anything to the community in terms of employment, goods, and services.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

They group a bunch of spending provisions in bills and vote them up or down once. They usually don't vote on them seperately, at least not in the full House/Senate.
        Umm...they have committees set up to hear testimony, gather requests for pork, and write the bill, but each measure is still voted on by either the committee or the full body. When a committee votes on something, the results are sent to the full body which still gets to vote on, or amend it. It won't break my heart if the full body has to vote in place of a committee...

We indirectly pay for tariffs. Or do you think that those who pay indirect taxes should get the same right as those that pay direct taxes?
        Yes (although I don't view it as an indirect tax), both groups are still paying the tax. A tariff merely represents a middleman through whom the tax passes on it's way from consumer to politician. It's no different than the sales tax we pay at our local retailer...

They pay taxes. Under your plan, if they pay taxes, they should vote.
        They're here illegally. My plan doesn't involve foreigners who violate immigration laws. But I'd sooner have them vote on the tax they're paying than people who aren't paying the tax...

Btw, has the SCOTUS ruled on the line item veto?

Ramo -
        No, the state isn't a piece of property. Last time I checked, my computer wasn't able to toss me into a prison. Or keep me out of the country. Or force me to pay taxes.
        But that prison is a piece of property, as is the street upon which it sits, and the building in which you were convicted...

Aeson -
        First you need to specify if you mean someone who has paid $2000-3000 in the current year, or if it's a lifetime thing. A retired senior citizen isn't allowed to vote in one case, even though they may have helped fund the government for their entire career. So be more specific, otherwise the following will apply to your idea
        I can't get any more specific, re-"read" the quote and you'll see "every year" following the $2000-$3000.

Comment

I was just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt Bezerker.

You think corporations should be in control of who gets to vote and who doesn't then by their hiring and firing policies? Retiring means you will no longer be represented?

Also what is your reasoning behind setting the numbers at $2000-3000? Would you accept the same reasoning if it was set just above your own tax level?

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
            . . . blah blah blah . . .
            It was a counter-troll to Berz's idiotic suggestion that those paying under $2000 a year in taxes shouldn't be able to vote.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If those paying under $2000/year in taxes don't vote, then it would be fair in those paying over say $50,000/year in taxes don't get top vote either. There's a sure way to destroy the caste system
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                An idea countered only by "give us your money or we'll kill you"? Wonderful...
                It works for capitalism.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Just as mine was a counter-counter troll.

Trollin trollin trollin keep those threads a rollin....

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It works for capitalism.
                    But more explicitly stated in communism.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                      But more explicitly stated in communism.
                      At least we're honest about it. We don't pretend that our property system isn't based on violence, unlike certain libertarians I could mention.

Comment

has the SCOTUS ruled on the line item veto?

Yes, like I said... unconstitutional.

--

Che, name 'em, name 'em .
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The first thing the wealthy people would vote for would be a return to one person, one vote.

Comment

Re: Why Government Grows

Originally posted by Berzerker
                            First, many politicians on both "sides" engage in this disgusting tactic, but the recent Bush ads - from alleged conservatives no less - have stuck in my mind. Bush is accusing Kerry of voting against body armor for US troops, expanded health care for them, etc...

It's also a load of bull.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

But that prison is a piece of property, as is the street upon which it sits, and the building in which you were convicted...
                              And? The state owns all of that. I own my computer, that doesn't mean that I'm property.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

just make a law that prevents government spending from exceeding 10% of GDP, except in times of war, as described by the constitution (aka congress declares war, NOT gives a flunky prez the right to invade)
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X