Why Government Grows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OB -
    Berzerker, the idea of a state is that one person=one vote.
    Why? We don't let children vote, are they not persons?

It's not a corporation held by shareholders, so you might as well admit right away that you are a neo-fascist capitalist.
    But the state is analogous to a corporation with shareholders. That's why we don't invite Europeans to vote on our laws, they aren't shareholders.

The troll is so shameful I won't even bite.
    But the crumbs on your face show you've already begun nibbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
      OB -

Why? We don't let children vote, are they not persons?
      Bla bla. Bla bla bla bla. They aren't autonomous by legal bla bla terms until they reach 18. There are many bla bla bla acceptions to the word 'person', and you know it.

But the state is analogous to a corporation with shareholders. That's why we don't invite Europeans to vote on our laws, they aren't shareholders.
      Fine then. It's a cooperative that you join by citizenship; therefore no one can ever have more than a single vote.

But the crumbs on your face show you've already begun nibbling.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It's the same principle, you don't ask people with no income taxes what the income tax rate should be...
        So why set a minimum $2,000-3,000 benchmark?

And what about people who pay sales taxes? Don't they have a say?

Or how about people who do unpaid work, such as a housewife or someone who is retired?

Or how about someone who has worked and paid taxes for 20 years, but gets laid off, can't find work and doesn't pay income tax for a couple of years. Do they get to vote?
        Golfing since 67

Comment

OB -
          They aren't autonomous by legal bla bla terms until they reach 18. There are many bla bla bla acceptions to the word 'person', and you know it.
          "Legal"? So one group of people decided another group of people shouldn'e be allowed to vote in violation of your 1 person = 1 vote? That happens to be what I advocate...

Fine then. It's a cooperative that you join by citizenship; therefore no one can ever have more than a single vote.
          Not by citizenship, by ownership. And that means "owners", not non-owners, i.e., people who don't finance the state don't get to use the state to "tax" the people who do finance the state. You want a say, pony up the ante...

Tingkai -
          So why set a minimum $2,000-3,000 benchmark?
          Why not? Call it the price of admission into the owner's club.

And what about people who pay sales taxes? Don't they have a say?
          Yup, they have a say in those rates.

Or how about people who do unpaid work, such as a housewife or someone who is retired?
          Doesn't matter to me if they're paid or not, it's whether they pay taxes or not.

Or how about someone who has worked and paid taxes for 20 years, but gets laid off, can't find work and doesn't pay income tax for a couple of years. Do they get to vote?
          That's right, once they stop paying income taxes they stop getting a say in what the rates should be.

Comment

kuygk
            Attached Files

Comment

I bought a sweet-ass wooden sword this weekend.
              What kind? Is it one of those wooden katanas?
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Re: Why Government Grows

An informed electorate intent on fiscal restraint.
                That won't work. People won't vote not to spend, they only vote to spend in their own area. Why do you think porkbarreling works?

Consider that the worst cars to buy are usually former rent-a-cars and you'll understand why private property is better than "communal" property in the long run and you'll understand why it is destructive to let people who pay no income taxes (or actually get "credits", i.e., welfare for working) vote on how much other people pay in taxes...
                I don't see how this logic can work. People will vote to spend, as I point out before, in their own area. The tax money is already paid, so they will use it. They will also try to improve their own area, because of all this private property business.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If you and your brother buy a computer and decide who gets to use it and when, you don't ask a bunch of people who didn't pitch in to buy the thing to help decide who gets to use it and when... It's the same principle, you don't ask people with no income taxes what the income tax rate should be...
                  Irrelevant. Nobody owns the money in the government's treasury.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

technically doesn't the govt. own the money in its treasury?
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

You want a say, pony up the ante...
                      So the people who don't pay taxes, don't get a say in the laws that affect their lives.

Interesting theory.

And if your neighbour buys a stereo and cranks up the music at 3am, you don't have a say because you didn't pay for it.

Interesting.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                        technically doesn't the govt. own the money in its treasury?
                        Yes, the government is not any individual, though.

Comment

UR -
                          Why do you think porkbarreling works?
                          Why do you think I ended that statement with ? That was a commentary on why government grows.

Irrelevant. Nobody owns the money in the government's treasury.
                          Umm...that's kind of the point, the people spending it don't view it as other people's property and that's why they are so profligate. So the answer is to allow the rightful owners of that money to set the tax rate thru voting. I'd further suggest that people who pay taxes should be allowed to earmark where their money goes instead of politicians. You want to support a drug war, pay for it with your own money. I often hear people who oppose abortion decry having to pay for them and I agree. Let the people who want federal funds for abortion pay for it themselves. Here's my money Mr Taxman and a list of what I want my money spent on...

Tingkai -
                          So the people who don't pay taxes, don't get a say in the laws that affect their lives.

Interesting theory.
                          No, they don't get a say in the tax rates if they don't pay the taxes.

And if your neighbour buys a stereo and cranks up the music at 3am, you don't have a say because you didn't pay for it.

Interesting.
                          I paid for my property and he is devaluing it by his behavior. For some reason you seem intent on avoiding my suggestions and instead want to explore tangential and off the wall "analogies", not interesting.

Comment

I paid for my property and he is devaluing it by his behavior. For some reason you seem intent on avoiding my suggestions and instead want to explore tangential and off the wall "analogies", not interesting.
                            Your property values are irrelevant.

You used the analogy that the only people who have a say on who can use something (a computer) are those who paid for it.

Now you're contradicting yourself by saying that even though you didn't pay for something (a stereo), you still get a say about how it is used.

Income taxes pay for government services. Those services affect everyone, including those who do not pay taxes.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

If Bush really gives a toss about growing US defence expenditure...

... Why doesn't he donate - say a quarter - of the $200 million he's going to splurge on getting re-elected?

And his argument is so crass. Sure, Kerry didn't vote for the expenditure - but it's Bush who sent the troops into harms way, NOT Kerry.

Personally I agree with ousting Saddam after the shameful aftermath of '91 - I just wish a jackass wasn't in charge of the operation.
                              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

What kind? Is it one of those wooden katanas?

Yeah.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X