Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were the greatest defenders of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    ManUre. Ugh!
    Up your udders, Cannuck.

What the hell do canadians know about football anyway, ManUtd or otherwise?

Go back to hockey, curling and chopping trees... or whatever you do.

Comment

Next thing he's gonna say is that is that Cryuff is nothing compared to Cantona .

What the hell do canadians know about football anyway

He's a transplant, IIRC.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Next thing he's gonna say is that is that Cryuff is nothing compared to Cantona .
        No... just that Stiles was one hard as nails bastard... which he was.

What the hell do canadians know about football anyway

He's a transplant, IIRC.
        And? he's been infected by mounties, bears and so on.

Comment

I believe he's a Kiwi. I could be wrong, though.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

...and while the Athenians argued and squabbled, 500 Spartan soldiers with sandals and spears saved Western Civilization against the largest army ever constructed.

Comment

Well, if we're all going to give serious answers, I'm going to have to go with...

WOLVERINES!!!

that was an awful movie...

i mean, come on! you never got to see the supposed nuclear destruction!
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                I believe he's a Kiwi. I could be wrong, though.
                Yep. And Alan Shearer pisses all over any forward ManUre could put out.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Yep. And Alan Shearer pisses all over any forward ManUre could put out.
                  Which Alan Shearer?

This Alan Shearer?

Comment

For "small unit actions", I'd definitely nominate the Spartans at Thermopylae, the British at Rorke's Drift, and the US 101st and 82nd AB Divisions (with attached units) at Bastogne and St. Vith, respectively - the 82nd is often overlooked, but it gave an EXCELLENT account for itself as well.

For a "large scale" nomination, I'll name one that hasn't been mentioned thus far - the Germans vs. the Soviets in 1943-1945. In the face of HUGE Soviet superiority in manpower and armor, the Germans were able to fight well almost until the end, given their political handicap. Even in January 1945 the Germans were successfully counterattacking on a corps level, to say nothing of 1943, when Manstein reorganized and saved much of the German front, and German forces were able to deal major defeats to attacking Soviet forces.

If the German military was able to run its own campaign in the East, first of all I think they would have won, but certainly, they would have been able to maintain a firm, strong front much later than was historical.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I voted for the Byzantines, the IJA, and Vietcong.
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                        Well, if we're all going to give serious answers, I'm going to have to go with...

WOLVERINES!!!

that was an awful movie...

i mean, come on! you never got to see the supposed nuclear destruction!
                        there was no nuclear war. It was a conventional war- which was preposterous, but it's just a movie. Reagaon would have pushed the button as soon as the commies touched american soil . The scenario was silly, but I still liked the movie.

Kill those commies!!!!

Comment

• Patrick Roy! No contest.
                          What?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            I have to give a special mention to the British defenders at Rorke's Drift in Natal, Jan. 22-23 1879. The Royal Engineers fought off a vastly superior force of Zulus. Despite their superior weaponry, the odds were still very much against the Brits. The fight produced the most Victoria Crosses ever in a single instance of combat.
                            Good choice! It was the South Wales Borderers (24th foot) - now the Royal Regiment of Wales (24/41st foot)-not the Royal Engineers who defended at Rorkes Drift though. The OC was a Royal Engineer Lieutenant who just happened to be present at the time and outranked the SWB officer.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Love that film

A haiku, by Michael Caine
                              Don't you
                              throw them
                              bloody spears
                              at me.
                              /me chuckles

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                                ...and while the Athenians argued and squabbled, 500 Spartan soldiers with sandals and spears saved Western Civilization against the largest army ever constructed.

And in the case of Marathon, it was the other way around....
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X